BBO Discussion Forums: How To Balance - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

How To Balance 2 Part Question

Poll: How To Balance (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Inital Action

1. 1 Spade (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. 2 Spades (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Double (11 votes [91.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.67%

4. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Something Else (0 votes [0.00%])

If You DBL And P bids 1 spade then What

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 2 Spades (4 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. 3 Spades (5 votes [41.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

4. 4 Spades (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Something Else (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-November-18, 12:02

what is best here pls? I weighed up a simple 1 spade and also 2 spades as I'm quite single suited, but I decided to dbl on the basis I did have a 4 card heart suit as well :lol: and kinda had the right shape (roughly).

second part to the question, is say you do double (rightly or wrongly) East passes and partner bids 1S! how much do we raise that by now :)

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-18, 12:57

I try 2 (edit: having doubled first) which I only play as a bit good for 2, I will give up if partner bids 2.

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-November-18, 13:15

A "simple" 1 should be limited to 13 HCP at best. Perhaps a bad 14 is acceptable. But one wants to attempt to differentiate between hands where one is balancing and hands where one really has values.

On this hand, I would double. Over 1, I can bid 1 to show a real hand with a real suit.

If I double and pard bids 1, then my next move depends on partnership agreements. I have an agreement with my regular partner that a raise after a takeout double does not show extras, but guarantees 4 card support. A pass shows a minimum takeout double with 3 card support (less in rare cases). This applies in balancing situations as well.

With that agreement, I would probably bid 3 on these cards. 2 should be reserved for stronger hands.

Without any special agreement, I would bid 2 on these cards. That would show a real takeout double with at least 4 spades. It is a slight underbid, but I don't want to hang partner. If he has a legitimate hand we can still get to game.

#4 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-24, 17:51

I like bidding 1S right away to show our superior suit. Double can lead to us playing in an inferior spade or heart fit even when partner has 3 spades. Additionally, we can double 2C for takeout if the auction goes 1C - 1S - P - P - 2C or bid 2H to show our 5-4 shape if ops bid diamonds.

Assuming we double and partner bids 1S I cue-bid 2C to show partner a good hand with spade interest, giving him a chance to sign-off if he bid on no values.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users