BBO Discussion Forums: 3H pass pass? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

3H pass pass?

Poll: 3H pass pass? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What to Do

1. Pass (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. 3S (15 votes [78.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-November-20, 06:51

None vul MP

3H p p ?

A76532
K83
T
QJ9

thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-20, 07:05

Nonvul at matchpoints, is this a real question? 3 in my sleep.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-November-20, 07:12

Unless RHO squirmed before passing I don't see why I wouldn't bid 3.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-20, 07:18

Spoiler

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-20, 08:41

I passed with a similar hand once and watched as our side's 4S+something disappeared under my feet. Wouldn't do it again.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-November-20, 09:31

3S automatic, you did fine :)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-November-20, 10:27

View Posteagles123, on 2013-November-20, 07:18, said:

Spoiler

Eagles

I'd bet that 3 led to a poor result....I hope I am wrong, but many inexperienced players base their criticisms of an action on the result of the action on the board in question.

If so, your partner needs to learn a very important lesson, which is that bridge is a game of percentages. Any action is on occasion turn out to have been 'wrong' in the sense that it led to a poor result. Bidding a grand that requires only that one score 5 tricks from AKQJx opposite xxx is 'wrong' when the suit breaks 5-0, but that doesn't make it an error to bid the grand. Most 'good decisions that don't work' are more subtle than that, of course, but the principle is the same.

On your example, I think that the vast majority of good players would see this as a nearly automatic balance, while recognizing that it could easily turn out poorly. The thinking would be that it is more likely to lead to a good result, and often a very good result, than it is to a bad one and, especially, a really bad one.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-20, 11:22

As I have stated before, my direct overcalls of preempts are sound. It does mean that we defend a bunch more preempts than others, and "getting pushed around" results in some poor scores (but, of course, some good scores when "nobody can make anything"). But I hate -1 in 4 into +100 defending 3, even if that loses to those who can stop in 3.

What it means is that we have to balance on anything that looks like a balance (and maybe a few that don't). Like this hand. And it will work out badly sometimes, too. If bidding over preempts were easy, people wouldn't do it.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-21, 06:57

View Postmikeh, on 2013-November-20, 10:27, said:

I'd bet that 3 led to a poor result....I hope I am wrong, but many inexperienced players base their criticisms of an action on the result of the action on the board in question.

If so, your partner needs to learn a very important lesson, which is that bridge is a game of percentages. Any action is on occasion turn out to have been 'wrong' in the sense that it led to a poor result. Bidding a grand that requires only that one score 5 tricks from AKQJx opposite xxx is 'wrong' when the suit breaks 5-0, but that doesn't make it an error to bid the grand. Most 'good decisions that don't work' are more subtle than that, of course, but the principle is the same.

On your example, I think that the vast majority of good players would see this as a nearly automatic balance, while recognizing that it could easily turn out poorly. The thinking would be that it is more likely to lead to a good result, and often a very good result, than it is to a bad one and, especially, a really bad one.

yeah, my p had 3 hearts, pre-emptor had singleton club lead to the Ace and trumps split 3-3 :angry: :lol:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users