BBO Discussion Forums: A sense of impending doom - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A sense of impending doom

Poll: A sense of impending doom (25 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your call, given no discussion?

1. Pass (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

2. 2N (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

3. 3C (8 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

4. 3D (8 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

5. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Stop! 3D (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-08, 09:54

I suggest to nominate you for the dreamer of the year award.

Why not x AKQJxx - AKQJxx, surely part of your style, and a grand looks quite reasonable.

Rainer Herrmann

*** Then wouldn't "impending doom" become "impending glorious"?????

#22 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-08, 10:00

OP doesn't have the luxury of discussed continuations, so it seems he has little choice but to roll the dice (probably Timo's suggestion of a Pass for now and worry later). 3C, if taken for the desire to play in clubs regardless of Pard's minor, could launch more doom..as could anything else taken wrong. It could also locate our 1-1 club fit instead of our 6-6 Diamond slam.

*** So commenters should/should not suggest what those "luxury of *to be discussed* continuations" SHOULD BE and why?
This is an expert forum, so should have diverse and useable suggestions justified.

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-08, 10:11

View Postdake50, on 2013-November-08, 10:00, said:

OP doesn't have the luxury of discussed continuations, so it seems he has little choice but to roll the dice (probably Timo's suggestion of a Pass for now and worry later). 3C, if taken for the desire to play in clubs regardless of Pard's minor, could launch more doom..as could anything else taken wrong. It could also locate our 1-1 club fit instead of our 6-6 Diamond slam.

*** So commenters should/should not suggest what those "luxury of *to be discussed* continuations" SHOULD BE and why?
This is an expert forum, so should have diverse and useable suggestions justified.

Dake: IMO, contributors should try to answer a posted problem or question within the conditions facing the OP. Those who do that and then provide useable suggestions to avoid the problem are the most helpful ---whether others agree with them or not.

Those who focus solely on recommendations to avoid the problem often have valid points but are not being entirely responsive to the question.

Then, there is another group :rolleyes:

Ideally, in these cases, once the OP has received answers/suggestions directly related to his post, and the focus of the thread has moved off topic to the pros and cons of other related agreements...then a new thread would be linked and referenced. That isn't likely to happen very often.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-08, 10:58

View Postdake50, on 2013-November-08, 10:00, said:

All I did was gamble 2nt, say why and include what the discussion might look like AFTER the hand on the theory that we would continue to play and my opinion that it's not happening if you unilaterally pass 2.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-08, 17:44

I do not think OP is asking our methods over michaels. If he did, he would not have post a hand. Instead he would have posted the auction and asked what would all bids over 2 mean.

The way i read it, OP is giving us his methods and agreements (or lack of agreements) and also giving us the hand and the auction and asking how would we try to slip through this scary situation.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-November-08, 18:05

Given that you hadn’t discussed continuations here (beyond a forcing 2N), what’s your call (and how do you expect P to take it)?

OK, this is what I'd expect.

2N strong relay (given)
3 to play in clubs if partner has them, may be diamonds or hearts if not, I may invite opposite diamonds
3 to play in diamonds if partner has them, partner bids 3 normally with hearts and clubs, I can pass or invite in clubs

I'm thus a bit stuffed, particularly as partner could go bananas here if he has a good hand over 2N, I think I pass 2 (NV I don't think it's close).

#27 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-09, 03:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-November-08, 18:05, said:

OK, this is what I'd expect.

2N strong relay (given)

Where do you see that in the OP? It says "forcing". That doesn't mean "strong", does it?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#28 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-November-09, 04:11

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-November-09, 03:43, said:

Where do you see that in the OP? It says "forcing". That doesn't mean "strong", does it?

Rik

If you have pass/correct bids it should be strong, but I normally take forcing as "forcing through strength" in this sort of sequence because unless you have the arrangement that partner can't show extras by bidding something other than 3m, you get into too much trouble otherwise.

#29 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-19, 11:26

View PostJinksy, on 2013-November-06, 10:06, said:

Teams, unfavourable. LHO opens 1S (SAYC), and partner overcalls 2S, Hs and a minor, wide-ranging strength. You try to look confident as you gaze down at:

AT8xx
x
KJ98xx
x

Given that you hadn't discussed continuations here (beyond a forcing 2N), what's your call (and how do you expect P to take it)?

Given the same meaning of 2S, would you choose something different than what you'd expect an average reasonable strength P to take as your response structure?

3D to play unless pd has very unusual michaels.

#30 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-November-21, 06:53

Given the conditions in the OP I would bid 2NT. For 90+% of pick-up players out there this just asks for the minor and nothing else. Bidding 3 may work out or may be taken as a good hand and we have no way of knowing. At least this route we can be fairly certain of either playing 3 undoubled or 3.

In practise, I like to play the 2NT advance as a relay and allow partner to bid something other than 3m over this. Then 3 is pass/correct and 3 is a good raise of hearts. But you cannot assume something like this without discussion so better to play it safe with a sequence that you can be fairly certain of.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users