BBO Discussion Forums: Simulate the STOP card - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simulate the STOP card

#1 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-May-07, 21:24

In face-to-face bridge, when a player jumps the bidding, the next player is supposed to wait 10 sec to avoid giving away information. (This is supposed to be done whether or not the bidder reminds them by displaying the STOP card along with his bid. I don't know if this is one of the Laws or just an ACBL rule, but it's a good idea anyway.)

I propose that BBO give the players the effect of compliance with this rule, without having to penalize anybody. How? Simple. If the next player after a jump bid makes his call in less than 10 sec, BBO's software should just silently wait until the 10 seconds are up before allowing anyone else (partners, opponents, or spectators) to see that call.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-07, 23:39

It used to be a common suggestion to have BBO add some delay after all quick bids, or not show any bids from the previous round of bidding until it's your own turn to bid, as ways to prevent players from taking advantage of the tempo of any bids. I don't think it's come up in a while.

There are arguments pro and con for all these things.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-08, 06:59

I also though of somethng similar, but IMO you should hide the tempo to the partner of the player only, not to the opponents.

#4 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-May-08, 08:49

View PostFluffy, on 2014-May-08, 06:59, said:

I also though of somethng similar, but IMO you should hide the tempo to the partner of the player only, not to the opponents.

Strongly disagree. Allowing the opponents to see tempo is a bug, not a feature, of face to face play; and eliminating it means that related ethics calls (like hesitating with a singleton) disappear, which needs to happen.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 08:54

The problem with this is that it becomes more difficult to diagnose who might have a connection problem.

In general I think that "tanking" on BBO can be due to so many things (bad connection, phone call, urgent need to feed the cat) that it doesn't carry much information.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 15:34

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-May-08, 08:54, said:

The problem with this is that it becomes more difficult to diagnose who might have a connection problem.

In general I think that "tanking" on BBO can be due to so many things (bad connection, phone call, urgent need to feed the cat) that it doesn't carry much information.

Maybe, but you would notice bad connections since they should happen fairly frequently and randomly, and other slow actions should be fairly infrequent and random. On the other hand, a lightning fast pass after a skip bid doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users