BBO Discussion Forums: Option when near deadline - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Option when near deadline what to do when you have a great game but time is running out

#1 User is offline   jjsiegel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-11, 17:42

Often I have a great game, but because of interruption or time pressures, I am running short of time. What about an option of taking a Average minus on a board you can't finish so you can still be counted in the final tally

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-11, 18:31

Around here you'd be shooting yourself in the foot to do that, since if you can't play a board due to time constraints, the director will simply remove that board from consideration of your score, so your score will be based only on the boards you did play. It isn't legal, but it's what the clubs here do. In a tournament, the TD would try to determine the degree of fault of the two pairs involved - if a pair is deemed not to be at fault they get average plus, and if partly at fault, average, so again, not good if you weren't at fault or were only partly at fault.

Does something different happen wherever you are?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   jjsiegel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-11, 18:58

This was with respect to the robot games where there is no TD.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-May-11, 19:37

View Postjjsiegel, on 2014-May-11, 18:58, said:

This was with respect to the robot games where there is no TD.

You probably should have mentioned that and placed this post in the "Suggestions for the Software" forum.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 00:11

View Postjjsiegel, on 2014-May-11, 17:42, said:

Often I have a great game, but because of interruption or time pressures, I am running short of time. What about an option of taking a Average minus on a board you can't finish so you can still be counted in the final tally

A common complaint in non-robot tournaments is players refusing to continue playing a hand when they are about to have a disaster on a board and they get an adjusted score that is way better than the score they would have received if they played the hand out. I wouldn't be happy if I lost a tournament on the last hand because someone beat me out by freezing the clock in a hopeless contract and getting average minus instead of the zero (or minus 13 IMP's or whatever) that they deserved. I have no objection to assigning a zero in matchpoints or the maximum negative number of IMP's possible for unplayed hands.

I play pretty slowly compared to most of the players in robot tournaments because I'm always analyzing previous hands, going to the kitchen to get a drink or a snack, or doing emails or phone calls. Still, I always have plenty of time left, even if there only 1 or 2 other players still playing. If you are really slow, don't even show previously played hands so you won't waste time in the postmortem, don't surf the web, answer phone calls or email, and when you are in a position where you only have winners, or losers, just play faster.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-12, 00:14

Don't forget that we added the ability to claim in robot duplicates. Take advantage of that and you'll save some time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users