Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

About GIB's MSS: Is 3C forcing?

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-21, 02:15

Generally speaking,if 2 showed minor stayman,then 2nt denied any 4 card minor suit,so the meanings of GIB rebid 3 should be not forcing bid and sign off in any minor at the three levels.
However for this hand,obviously GIB rebid 3 with 11 hcp was wrong after bid 2nt.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-21, 07:46

I agree that the 3C bid does not make much sense on the cards held, and North should just rebid 3N over 2N. But in terms of system and explanations, his bidding is consistent with the hand described. With 10-12 total points and a rebiddable suit, this should be strong enough to force to 3N opposite a 1N opener.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-21, 13:55

Lycier - Are you playing weak NT with GIB :rolleyes: I don't see this hand as an upgrade to 1NT. What do you think GIB has as a passed hand? 10 or 11 HCP max, 5+ clubs, 4+ diamonds, offering a choice of contracts. The GIB description seems spot on to me. Since you didn't have a 1NT opener, I guess 3 isn't forcing.

#4 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-22, 00:04

johnu, on 2014-January-21, 13:55, said:

Lycier - Are you playing weak NT with GIB :rolleyes: I don't see this hand as an upgrade to 1NT.
It's good GIB strategy to hog hands, I also play 14-17 NT with it.

#5 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2014-January-22, 01:45

johnu, on 2014-January-21, 13:55, said:

Lycier - Are you playing weak NT with GIB :rolleyes: I don't see this hand as an upgrade to 1NT. What do you think GIB has as a passed hand? 10 or 11 HCP max, 5+ clubs, 4+ diamonds, offering a choice of contracts. The GIB description seems spot on to me. Since you didn't have a 1NT opener, I guess 3 isn't forcing.

Johnu,MSS(minor suit stayman) has nothing to do with your opinion on notrump,GIB East is strong enough to game force with 11 hcp even though opening bid 1nt with 14hcp.

#6 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-22, 02:40

3C is forcing in the gib system. When it's not a passed hand, it shows like 10-17 total points in the gib system and almost certainly 2245 shape (no 3M bid)
Wayne Somerville

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-22, 11:03

lycier, on 2014-January-22, 01:45, said:

Johnu,MSS(minor suit stayman) has nothing to do with your opinion on notrump,GIB East is strong enough to game force with 11 hcp even though opening bid 1nt with 14hcp.

Exactly. So why did S pass a game forcing bid?

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-23, 13:40

Antrax, on 2014-January-22, 00:04, said:

It's good GIB strategy to hog hands, I also play 14-17 NT with it.

Maybe if you're playing "classic" tournaments where GIB can be declarer. On the other hand, if you still need training wheels in the bidding and play, .......

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-January-23, 14:06

johnu, on 2014-January-23, 13:40, said:

Maybe if you're playing "classic" tournaments where GIB can be declarer. On the other hand, if you still need training wheels in the bidding and play, .......

It is not a question of hogging hands. It is just that GIB has a more defined set of bids over a 1NT opening than it does over 1 of a suit, and the good results obtained from opening 1NT given any excuse justify the bid.

I open 1NT on any balanced 14-17 count, and I usually open 1NT with any balanced 14-17 holding a 5 card major or a six card minor unless there is a very good reason not to do so.

I used to frequently open 1NT holding a singleton in a major suit, but I got tired of GIB transferring to that major and then passing, leading to a bad result. So I don't do that very often anymore. I will often open 1NT holding a singleton in a minor suit playing with GIB.

I would have opened the South hand in the OP with 1NT, but I would not pass 3.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-23, 14:48

Also for all that GIB thinks it can play Capelletti in defence, it really doesn't do it very well, and this argues in favour of putting GIB in the position of having to use that method with increased frequency.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users