BBO Discussion Forums: Support Hearts Or Rebid Spades - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Support Hearts Or Rebid Spades Wasn't Sure on This

Poll: Support Hearts Or Rebid Spades (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Hearts or Spades

1. Support Hearts (16 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Rebid Spades (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Something Else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-01, 09:06

IMPS

wasn't sure on this one, obviously there's a known fit in Hearts but the spades are so good maybe they're worth a rebid? I decided to support the Hearts but I wasn't confident!

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   stevenagy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-September-01, 09:19

I would support with this. You do have nice spades, but only 5 of them, and also a minimum opening hand. If partner has values for game, showing the fit now will get us there safely. Hiding the fit means we could get too high or in the wrong strain or both.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-01, 10:57

thanks all for votes and reply, a secondary question which isn't really N/B but it's a bit pointless to make a new topic...

if the correct answer is to support Hearts, how do we then find the spade game when P has 3/5/(32) and our spades are a lot more solid than hearts? 3 spade = cue for hearts and 4 spades = exclusion? or is 3 spade just natural showing 3 card spade support and not sure where to play at this point?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-01, 12:06

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-01, 10:57, said:

thanks all for votes and reply, a secondary question which isn't really N/B but it's a bit pointless to make a new topic...

if the correct answer is to support Hearts, how do we then find the spade game when P has 3/5/(32) and our spades are a lot more solid than hearts? 3 spade = cue for hearts and 4 spades = exclusion? or is 3 spade just natural showing 3 card spade support and not sure where to play at this point?

Thanks,

Eagles

In general, if delayed support is one of the possible meanings for a bid of partners suit, then that is what it is! Most do not allow a splinter in partner's suit!
In particular - the set of players who have tried more than once to make an exclusion bid in their partner's bid suit at the game level is either empty or very close to it. This is one of those things that "kids should not try at home".
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#5 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-03, 15:13

This feels close to me. Given the minor suit holdings I don't think it would be far wrong to rebid 2NT assuming this shows a balanced minimum.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-03, 21:45

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-01, 10:57, said:

Thanks,

Eagles

3h

finding a second fit is very very hard.....

you ask a great question but very hard.

my answer to very hard questions are....we lose from not doing easy stuff...we don't lose from not knowing very hard stuff.

I lose from messing up easy stuff...not very hard stuff. But is fun to discuss very hard stuff.

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-09, 04:00

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-01, 09:06, said:

IMPS

wasn't sure on this one, obviously there's a known fit in Hearts but the spades are so good maybe they're worth a rebid? I decided to support the Hearts but I wasn't confident!

Thanks,

Eagles

I would bid 3 You know there is at least a 5-3 fit in the suit so it's vital to establish this asap.
Yes the are good but you don't yet know if partner can support them. He could even hold a singleton or have a void.
Also,until partner rebids,you don know whether you will end up in a part score,a game or a slam.
My advice is act on what you know rather than what you don't know.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users