BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Bidding 6 diamonds and 3 points

#1 User is offline   infiltrado 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-September-06, 20:02

My pt open 1 club. I have 6 diamonds and 3 points. I pass? Right or wrong?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-06, 21:39

Depends on your agreements. If you're playing weak jump shifts here, you can bid 2 diamonds. If you're not, you should probably pass.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-07, 10:10

As blackie says, it depends, at least somewhat, on agreements. I am not generally a fan of weak jump shifts but here I would be delighted to be playing them and I would then bid 2 pretty much independently of where my three points are. The main upside that I see for wjs is exactly this ability to get out of a spot that is likely to be hopeless with some safety and clarity.

If not playing wjs, I dunno. If the diamonds are KTxxxx then I think I bid 1. If my three points are something like the Q of spades and the J of hearts, I think I pass and hope for the best. So far, no one has doubled. And if we escape from playing in 1, any subsequent action by me should be unambiguous. And, on occasions, partner has club length.

I think modern practice is to bid very very readily over 1 on really minimal values. I have seen this work, I have seen this not work.Often people who do this have a device, such as the Wolff sign-off, to get out at the three level if opener rebids 2NT. That would help.
Ken

#4 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-September-08, 00:13

It depends on my methods. If I have a way to get out in 2D after 1C 1D 1NT then 1D is fine. Although 765432 of D is not so good.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-08, 11:22

Pass. 6 card major? More complex.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-08, 14:17

If partner is weak, as the opponents are likely to be bidding or doubling, I think pass is best, hoping that you can bid 2 next time round.

If partner has a strong hand and you have no agreements on the meaning of 1 1 2NT 3, then that would be better if partner understands it as a weak takeout, but you would be badly placed if he bids the equally likely 3 or 2.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users