BBO Discussion Forums: polish club international (wj2010) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

polish club international (wj2010) available now

#1 User is online   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-August-20, 13:37

Hi all,
Thanks to working as translator for the author, the book is available at my site for reduced price now.

Dan's systems page

Thanks,
Dan

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-20, 13:46

Hi Dan,

is there any useful info available for free, such as a summary of the most important changes?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is online   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 14:04

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-August-20, 13:46, said:

Hi Dan,

is there any useful info available for free, such as a summary of the most important changes?

Hi,
The main value in the book is
a) *lots* more examples, quiz-style, to test your knowledge, including competition and slam
b) some holes and omissions fixed/explained
c) the "Pro" version - aggressive openings/responses, yet-again-reworked odwrotka, complicated checkback mechanism - to conform to today's Light Initial Action environment

The WJ2010 poll is a mix of true poll and personal preference of the author, but it is accurately described as thus.

Thanks,
Dan

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 14:17

Sorry, I didn't express myself very well, what I mean is can I see a basic version of WJ2010 or the differences to WJ2005 without buying the book?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is online   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 14:40

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-August-20, 14:17, said:

Sorry, I didn't express myself very well, what I mean is can I see a basic version of WJ2010 or the differences to WJ2005 without buying the book?

Hi,
I'm not sure I have rights to do that, sorry.

Thanks,
Dan

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 15:09

That's too bad. Oh well, maybe someone will review it. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 15:47

What is it?

An ebook or do you actually sent a printed book?
If a normal book do you sent to addresses in Europe?
If an ebook, what restrictions do apply?
For example can I print it out if I want to? Can I create a copy for myself on a different computer?

Roughly how many pages does the book have?
In comparison to Jassem WJ05 ( roughly 135 pages) how large is the contents of the book? .
Smaller, about equal or larger?

Thanks
Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is online   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 15:56

View Postrhm, on 2013-August-20, 15:47, said:

What is it?

An ebook or do you actually sent a printed book?
If a normal book do you sent to addresses in Europe?
If an ebook, what restrictions do apply?
For example can I print it out if I want to? Can I create a copy for myself on a different computer?

Roughly how many pages does the book have?
In comparison to Jassem WJ05 ( roughly 135 pages) how large is the contents of the book? .
Smaller, about equal or larger?

Thanks
Rainer Herrmann

Hi Rainer,
It's just the e-book, and there is no security - I just email you the pdf and you do what you want (obv no resell). It's 189 pages as a large font pdf, but there are way more charts/quizzes than in WJ05, so I would say there is less prose than WJ05, but about the same amount of content.

If you want the printed book, it will be available from multiple sources in November 2013.

Thanks,
Dan

#9 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-21, 02:24

I bought the book from this years Swedish Bridge Festival. The store got it when they visited the Junior European Championship in Poland. I haven't read any of the previous material on Polish Club.

The book's layout is pretty hard to follow, in my opinion. There's an index in the front of the book, but the book itself doesn't have page numbers (so its hard to lookup specific topics). I liked many of the ideas in the Pro version, such as "Cheap Transfers" (a form of Bourke relay) and the Odwrotka proposed. The quizzes are good and they show that hand evaluation is very important, instead of hcp ranges.

I haven't read all of the book yet, but from what I've seen it looks like it is more of a framework described. I was curious on auctions like 1D-1M; 1NT (since opening 1D is unbalanced) or 1X-1Y; 2NT. There's some info about competition over the club opening, but there could have been more. I think that the book would work as a good base for a system (which it is probably intended to be, since it is a standard system described), and that it is up to the partnership to extend it.

Even though I might not play the system (but perhaps in the future, who knows?) I think the book is useful anyway. The ideas of cheap transfers, some of the 1NT-system, some parts of the multi opening, the pro version of Odwrotka (we're actually going to use that in our Swedish Club system)...

I guess buying this as an e-book could be a good idea, since it will probably have a working index.

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-21, 02:53

View PostDJNeill, on 2013-August-20, 15:56, said:

Hi Rainer,
It's just the e-book, and there is no security - I just email you the pdf and you do what you want (obv no resell). It's 189 pages as a large font pdf, but there are way more charts/quizzes than in WJ05, so I would say there is less prose than WJ05, but about the same amount of content.

If you want the printed book, it will be available from multiple sources in November 2013.

Thanks,
Dan

Okay, sounds great. You will get Paypal from my wife in the next 24 hours.

Thanks
Rainer

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 02:14

I have received the book.
My first impression is, the book is well done, though the book might have profited from some proof reading.
It is definitely worth the money for anybody interested in Polish club. Many modern aspects of bidding are covered, though often not in detail, which can be played irrespective of system.
I do not find the book hard to follow, but I may be biased since I have worked with WJ2005. The book assumes some background Bridge knowledge. It is for advanced players.

The one thing I miss, among many nice new features, is that there is a lack of reasoning what motivated changes in WJ2010 in comparison to WJ2005.
In WJ2005 there were reasons and arguments what motivated changes to WJ2000.
For example the 1 opening went full circle. It changed from WJ2000 to WJ2005 but is now back where it was in WJ2000.

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is online   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 03:06

View Postrhm, on 2013-August-22, 02:14, said:

I have received the book.
My first impression is, the book is well done, though the book might have profited from some proof reading.
It is definitely worth the money for anybody interested in Polish club. Many modern aspects of bidding are covered, though often not in detail, which can be played irrespective of system.
I do not find the book hard to follow, but I may be biased since I have worked with WJ2005. The book assumes some background Bridge knowledge. It is for advanced players.

The one thing I miss, among many nice new features, is that there is a lack of reasoning what motivated changes in WJ2010 in comparison to WJ2005.
In WJ2005 there were reasons and arguments what motivated changes to WJ2000.
For example the 1 opening went full circle. It changed from WJ2000 to WJ2005 but is now back where it was in WJ2000.

Rainer Herrmann

Hi Rainer,
I think isn't the reason it came back to unbal 1D opening that it was based somewhat on a poll, rather than particular motivation of the author?

Thanks,
Dan

#13 User is online   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 15:53

Any more reviews?

#14 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2013-September-08, 01:27

I think isn't the reason it came back to unbal 1D opening that it was based somewhat on a poll, rather than particular motivation of the author?

I think some of us, at least, would say it came back to what it should have been, and that it was WJ2005 that was the bizarre-hodgepodge system rather than anything a real person would ever play. I confess it was because of how WJ2005 looked -- and I mean the inconsistent poll-driven system choices, not the writing style or the translation -- that I didn't seek out a WJ2010 book though I try to get most of the Polish books when I can. If this one is better again, maybe I need to consider it.

I am sure those earlier in the thread who wanted a system summary are aware of the items posted on RGB in 2010 (a google search for wj2010 summary brings up the old thread).

#15 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-09, 13:36

View PostSiegmund, on 2013-September-08, 01:27, said:

I am sure those earlier in the thread who wanted a system summary are aware of the items posted on RGB in 2010 (a google search for wj2010 summary brings up the old thread).

Actually, I wasn't. Of course, I only play PC in pickup partnerships, would surely have researched it more seriously a long time ago if I had a serious PC partnership.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users