#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-30, 08:13

lead 9 tricks = 10

Other table:) 1S 2S 4S lead 10 tricks = 10
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 08:36

It takes a lot of effort to post thishands, but really.. there is nothing on this one!

#3 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-30, 08:42

If West was looking for slam that seems over-optimistic (what is upper limit for 2S?) If not then 3D leaked a lot of information to the defence and risked ethical problems if East had bid 3S out of tempo.

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-July-30, 09:19

View PostFluffy, on 2013-July-30, 08:36, said:

It takes a lot of effort to post thishands, but really.. there is nothing on this one!

I thought that too on board1 but it has generated a lot of comments. Perhaps that is more to do with
people needing to comment rather than the interest value of the hand.
It's less effort now that I can use the movie thingy to post the hands, it's still a bit of a PITA though.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 19:42

3d would yield a great slam opposite a perfect ten but Bo Derek told me a long time ago
there was no sense in me seeking a perfect ten:)))))))))))) (of course I assumed she was
talking about bridge).

#6 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2013-July-31, 00:41

Lead 9? no,I don't think it was a good option since lead with singleton or voidness of opps is no-no.

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-July-31, 07:56

View Postc_corgi, on 2013-July-30, 08:42, said:

If West was looking for slam that seems over-optimistic (what is upper limit for 2S?) If not then 3D leaked a lot of information to the defence and risked ethical problems if East had bid 3S out of tempo.

3 is a short suit game try, 2 is 8-10(11). We have S3N available so this is more like a Non serious 3N sequence. I like this bidding, it keeps me in the picture and I think it allows us to find the slams based on shape rather than pure points.
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-31, 08:13

View Postjillybean, on 2013-July-31, 07:56, said:

3 is a short suit game try, 2 is 8-10(11). We have S3N available so this is more like a Non serious 3N sequence. I like this bidding, it keeps me in the picture and I think it allows us to find the slams based on shape rather than pure points.

East will evaluate KQx Qx Axxx xxxx or KQx xxx Axxxx Qx as a perfect maximum (or likely more than a maximum) and slam will be grim. I think it needs a perfect maximum with 4 trumps to be good, which seems too small a target to aim for even if it is in the range.

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-July-31, 08:31

View Postc_corgi, on 2013-July-31, 08:13, said:

East will evaluate KQx Qx Axxx xxxx or KQx xxx Axxxx Qx as a perfect maximum (or likely more than a maximum) and slam will be grim. I think it needs a perfect maximum with 4 trumps to be good, which seems too small a target to aim for even if it is in the range.

I don't follow your analysis here, shouldn't East down grade the hand due to the largely wasted A values?

The hands are also beginning to look like a 3card limit raise rather than a constructive raise.
(still learning)

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-31, 09:01

View Postjillybean, on 2013-July-31, 08:31, said:

I don't follow your analysis here, shouldn't East down grade the hand due to the largely wasted A values?

The hands are also beginning to look like a 3card limit raise rather than a constructive raise.

An Ace opposite a known short suit is not a wasted value. A King would be a wasted value.

More important is the upgrade for secondary values in the other suits.

Using loser count evaluation, responder evaluates her hand on the basis of how many cover cards responder has for opener's losers. A game try by opener opposite a single raise implies that opener has a 6 loser hand. Responder's hand is T752 4 KT632 KJ6. Opposite the 1 opening, responder had 4 potential cover cards (2 for the singleton heart, one for the K and one for the K), which is actually too good for a mere 2 response. A Bergen mixed raise would be a better description of the hand (even a mini-splinter is not out of the question if you have the tools). Having bid 2, responder hears opener make a short suit game try in diamonds. Responder immediately discounts the K, but now counts the K as a full cover card. The question then is whether the heart singleton is worth two cover cards. The best available call is 3, saying that responder is still interested in game, but can't tell if all of her cards are working. Obviously, opener is going to bid game.

It is not unreasonable for responder to just bid game over 3, despite the fact that the K is wasted.

#11 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 09:15

West needs the absolute perfecto for slam and a short-suit game try gives away a lot of information. I much prefer 4 to 3 with the West cards. Apart from that this seems like a real nothing hand.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#12 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-July-31, 09:28

Wasted value is the wrong description, but I do downgrade the value of an Ace opposite shortage in partners hand.
(still learning)

#13 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-31, 09:32

View Postjillybean, on 2013-July-31, 09:28, said:

Wasted value is the wrong description, but I do downgrade the value of an Ace opposite shortage in partners hand.

If there is a downgrade, it is very minor. Would I prefer that the Ace be elsewhere? Yes. But it is still pulling weight.

#14 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-July-31, 17:13

It seems to me that you could be setting up a tap suit for the opponents. Declarer play is my weakest part of the game, what do I know :)
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users