• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-07, 17:38

Q10
Ax
AKJxxx
Axx

nobody vul, MPS

RHO opens 2 fort indetermine, wich means either 23 balanced or 8 playing tricks (2 would be a GF opener, this is the almost GF opener).

What's your plan?

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-July-07, 17:50

I'll start with 2. I think I'll repeat diamonds again or maybe bid 3NT if RHO has hearts or make a cuebid if he bids spades. If they jump to game without LHO showing signs of life, I might double.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-07, 17:52

I don't know what you use as defense over this kind of bid, but I would X and then bid my Diamonds to try and get the point across to partner that I have a huge hand with Diamonds.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-07, 18:09

I would pass as bids are weak, then bid 3 when he reveals his suit, odds are it will go 2-P-2-P-2-3 showing a good hand. Unfortunate I can't ramp the bidding up before he bids a suit, but we have no strong bids available.

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-07, 18:23

I hate it too and hate all of several approaches I can think of. This bird likely has a raft of semi-solid spades and a side card or three and at least one of the other 2 is broke.

I'm thinking that if I pass followed by 3 they won't sell out. I have no interest in notrump and pard may come to life over an expected 3 bid with appropriate shape and if they have 2 spades I'm well out of it. I'll choose the wrong bid immediately after this.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-July-07, 21:22

2d

lets give opener:

Ax..xx...x....KQJTXXXX

or something close, so 3nt is dicy.

I don't want to pass or x and have to back in later.

option2=3d

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 00:57

3N

LHO is on lead and doesn't know RHO's suit. Fair chance of wrapping up 9 tricks despite that oppo have 7 or 8 off the top.

P will know the type of hand that I have (it can only be something like this) and will be well placed to act appropriately if RHO backs in with his suit at the 4 level. No need for us even to double in front of p.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-08, 06:03

Mike, if Opener held that hand and the opps had not alerted it as such then the score is likely to be adjusted. Some pairs play a different defence over a "strong" artificial bid that can include a good preempt from one that is a true strong hand. Against the strong-only type, it seems natural to start this hand with a pass; against the strong but could be weak type this is dangerous because the auction could easily go (2) - P - (2) - P; (4).
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 06:38

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-July-08, 06:03, said:

Mike, if Opener held that hand and the opps had not alerted it as such then the score is likely to be adjusted.

Well, that hand is 8 PTs right? And that is what the bid was explained as so why would there be an adjustment?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-July-08, 07:05

View Postbroze, on 2013-July-08, 06:38, said:

Well, that hand is 8 PTs right? And that is what the bid was explained as so why would there be an adjustment?

Two tests need to be satisfied to be sure of avoiding an adjustment:
1) The explanation needs to be a complete and accurate description of the bid, and
2) That explanation needs to fall within permitted use of the bid as set down by a regulatory body who has the authority to limit permitted methods.

The problem with the first test is that absent any restrictions imposed by the second test you could end up with a system in which more than one systemic bid is available for a given hand. A vulnerable 4 level pre-empt is likely to contain (certainly MIGHT contain) 8 playing tricks. You might decide to adopt a mixed strategy of opening at the 4 level on some days, and opening your system strong bid on other days, for the purpose of misleading the opponents regarding whether they should wish to contest the auction (particularly over the strong 2 variant). If you simply describe the hand as "8 playing tricks" with no embellishment, most opponents would assume an implied qualification "... and not suitable for a pre-emptive opening". Although not expressly stated in the explanation it is not an unreasonable interpretation if your system also allows for pre-emptive openings. If you adopt a mixed strategy then under "full disclosure" principles the burden of responsibility would be on you, the bidder, expressly to say so, that being an uncommon treatment.

If you are permitted to use, and choose to use, a mixed strategy with hands like this, then the ethical bar that you have to meet is a high one, because your partnership is likely to develop with time an implicit understanding of the likelihood of a strong 2 opener being made with a pre-emptive hand, and it is hard to express that likelihood with accuracy, even given the will, to the opponents (which somewhat removes the effectiveness of the strategy in the process).

In environments in which players have been permitted free reign to open system strong bids on hands that are primarily pre-emptive, the observed compliance with full disclosure requirements has been generally poor (ie limited to the brief description of "8 playing tricks"). While there may be a remedy for inadequate disclosure already in the laws, some sponsoring organisations take the simpler route of barring the use (by agreement) of system strong bids to contain hands which are essentially pre-emptive in nature (ie hands where there is a good likelihood that the highest ranking makeable contract rests with the opponents). The EBU in the UK is one such body.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#11 User is offline   hautbois 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-08, 08:38

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-July-08, 07:05, said:

The problem with the first test is that absent any restrictions imposed by the second test you could end up with a system in which more than one systemic bid is available for a given hand.

I'm having a difficult time figuring what better defines the problem you're describing. For instance, I could see Kx xx AKQxxxxx x being opened 1D, 2C, 3D, 3NT, 4D or 4NT. Not that I think those are all good decisions, there's usually more than one bid available and that's what makes solver's clubs so popular.

Of course the EBU is within its rights to prohibit a convention that is "8+ PT in an undisclosed suit or NT", but I think the motivation may be more akin to ACBL's ban of Multi 2D at low levels than there's more than one bid to open a hand.

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 08:53

I'm guessing this was in France, so they would assume you were mad if you even asked for a ruling - and they would be right.

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-July-08, 09:47

View Posthautbois, on 2013-July-08, 08:38, said:

I'm having a difficult time figuring what better defines the problem you're describing. For instance, I could see Kx xx AKQxxxxx x being opened 1D, 2C, 3D, 3NT, 4D or 4NT. Not that I think those are all good decisions, there's usually more than one bid available and that's what makes solver's clubs so popular.

Of course the EBU is within its rights to prohibit a convention that is "8+ PT in an undisclosed suit or NT", but I think the motivation may be more akin to ACBL's ban of Multi 2D at low levels than there's more than one bid to open a hand.

For the record I am not saying that I agree with the argument, only that this is the argument put forward. I actually have an open mind. I don't think that your example hand illustrates the point of the original objection, by the way. Yours is a problem of borderline decisions. The "objection" centres on two fundamentally different hand types.

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 10:22

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-July-08, 00:57, said:

3N

Jump ball and much better than my first thought.

If lho is going to have to choose from leading a short nothing suit it might as well be a diamond. :lol:
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-08, 10:31

If 3NT was going to end the auction, I wouldn't be very keen on it. It doesn't just need the right lead: we'll also need the diamonds to come in and a ninth trick from somewhere.

If we do bid 3NT, however, RHO will almost certainly compete to four of his suit rather than risk letting us make 3NT. That's probably a good thing: if he thinks he's got only eight tricks he's not that likely to make ten. So I like 3NT.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-08, 16:59

Do you all play 3NT natural and to play over a "23 balanced or 8 tricks hand" 2 ?

Or is this fresh cooked new product which applies to this hand ( and probably 1 time in life convention) ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-July-08, 17:45

View PostMrAce, on 2013-July-08, 16:59, said:

Do you all play 3NT natural and to play over a "23 balanced or 8 tricks hand" 2 ?

Or is this fresh cooked new product which applies to this hand ( and probably 1 time in life convention) ?

OK I’ll bite. What do you play 3N as?

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-08, 18:11

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-July-08, 17:45, said:

OK I'll bite. What do you play 3N as?

I play it M+m, wild hand (wild enough to make game despite the 2 opening if we find a fit) because i play almost all other jumps natural and preemptive and DBL =MM NT =mm

You can also play 4m over 2 = this minor + a major and 3NT as 4m preempt. I have seen other aproaches too.

The reason i am asking is, did you all have agreement with pd that 3NT over such 2 is to play, or are you all expecting him to figure that you are bidding 3NT with the hope that they can't find the lead, or they just simply can not take the risk to leave it in doubled ? Because telling pd to pass regardless of what he has is quite an agreement after they open 2.

And what is the exit plan if they double ? Are you all happy to play at 4 level doubled with 6322 hand when they probably have no game bonus ?

But i am looking at some of the hands constructed in this thread for 2, perhaps playing 3NT as natural has merits to it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-July-09, 04:21

Its been a couple of years since I faced this semi-psyche openings, and the best tactic still remains the same, RHO wants to play 4, this must mean that it is a good tactic to start the bidding at the 5 level. Bidding 5 (or 4NT) earns a top as you will get at least +200 in 5 something. Being a pussy and bidding slow as I did was a disaster, also because my partner is not reliable.

#20 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-09, 04:30

View PostFluffy, on 2013-July-09, 04:21, said:

Its been a couple of years since I faced this semi-psyche openings, and the best tactic still remains the same, RHO wants to play 4, this must mean that it is a good tactic to start the bidding at the 5 level. Bidding 5 (or 4NT) earns a top as you will get at least +200 in 5 something. Being a pussy and bidding slow as I did was a disaster, also because my partner is not reliable.

You may have spared yourself some agony:

2 5(shove it to them) Pass Pass
5 DOUBLE!!! Pass

And then partner goes into the tank ... :o

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users