• You cannot reply to this topic

Decent slam

#1 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-08, 02:21

IMPs
After an artificial auction you reach a good slam. LHO leads Q and RHO plays the 7, which is probably standard count. Plan the play.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 09:33

Posting to not forget to check what's wrong with the crossruff line.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 10:32

View PostAntrax, on 2013-July-08, 09:33, said:

Posting to not forget to check what's wrong with the crossruff line.

I would ruff 2 spades crossing in diamonds and if all follow, draw trump and give them one. If the spades are 5-2 I have some chances even with an overruff, by holding the club finesse in reserve but if hearts are 4-1 I'm toast.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-08, 11:01

I win in dummy, cross to hand in clubs and advance the spade J, winning if covered, floating it otherwise.

Playing spade A and ruff a spade requires that spades be 43 and hearts 32.

Advancing the spade J gains, I think, when LHO has Hx in spades and no heart J. If he covers, as he surely would with Hx, we win, ruff a spade, play heart King, heart A and ruff a spade with the 10. If that survives, as it will when spades are 43/34 or when he held Hx without the heart J, we cross to dummy with our last trump, and drive out the remaining spade honour. This requires 32 trump but so does the line suggested by others, and this seems to gain on a few layouts and on a quick think I couldn't see a cost.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-08, 11:16

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-July-08, 10:32, said:

... but if hearts are 4-1 I'm toast.

A winning club finesse, with 3 rounds of clubs standing up, plus successful elopement with dummy's last trump will land the toast butter side up.

#6 User is offline   IVAN CY LO 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-10, 03:52

Ruff the spade 2 times, if any one was ruffed down K/Q, duck 1 round of spade, T/9 could always win and just loss 1 spade trick.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-10, 09:06

I ruff spades in hand playing for 4-3 and 3-2 or a short spade honnor, running J would be bad if RHO has Hx, and it also gives up the squeeze line when RHO has something like KQxxx xx xx Qxxx since when we get overruffed we have already lost 2 tricks.

The third line I think of is cross ruff, but Q lead makes my gut reject it, but it might survive an overruff when clubs are 4-3 and Q onside so it has some decent recovery even when RHO has diamond doubleton, But I would go for the ruff spades in hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users