BBO Discussion Forums: What bid did you dump from your agreements... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What bid did you dump from your agreements... ...once you realised it was ineffective?

#61 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-01, 02:05

View PostFree, on 2013-June-30, 13:51, said:

I don't see a reason why to play natural either (instead of Smolen).

Rik gave a reason in the last paragraph of his post. After a natural 3, Opener can bid 3NT with no fit and make a cue bid with a nice hand for hearts; the same for a natural 3. After a Smolen 3, Opener can bid 3NT without a fit but now has only 2 cue bids below 4 with a good hand for hearts. FWiiW I do have a form of Smolen in my NT structure but I can easily understand any argument against it based on the above.
(-: Zel :-)

#62 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-01, 11:15

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-July-01, 02:05, said:

Rik gave a reason in the last paragraph of his post. After a natural 3, Opener can bid 3NT with no fit and make a cue bid with a nice hand for hearts; the same for a natural 3. After a Smolen 3, Opener can bid 3NT without a fit but now has only 2 cue bids below 4 with a good hand for hearts. FWiiW I do have a form of Smolen in my NT structure but I can easily understand any argument against it based on the above.

Sure, but why show your hand at 3-level when you can do it at 2-level? Just play 1NT-2-2-2 as forcing for 1 round (at least invitational) and you don't need 1NT-2-2-3 to be natural.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#63 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-July-01, 11:27

View PostFree, on 2013-July-01, 11:15, said:

Sure, but why show your hand at 3-level when you can do it at 2-level? Just play 1NT-2-2-2 as forcing for 1 round (at least invitational) and you don't need 1NT-2-2-3 to be natural.

Which is fine if you don't play Walsh relays.

#64 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-01, 12:20

Most people play that sequence as 5-5. If it could be 5-5 or 4-5, opener with e.g. 3244 has a tough guess.

Yeah there are plenty of other solutions if you like devoting larger chunks of memory to the problem, but most people considering Smolen aren't in that category.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#65 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-02, 01:41

Many use this sequence for something else. For me it is a multi-way bid showing either a 5 card invite (natural 2NT or 4NT rebid) or clubs or a strong one-suiter. Since your method involves forcing to the 3 level anyway, the loss from showing the hand at the 3 level is minimal and, in the meantime, you are usually using the bidding space more efficiently.
(-: Zel :-)

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users