BBO Discussion Forums: What bid did you dump from your agreements... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What bid did you dump from your agreements... ...once you realised it was ineffective?

#21 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-22, 11:40

nigel_k, on 2013-June-21, 00:23, said:

Dumped inverted minor raises long ago and have never regretted it. I've lost count of the number of times the other table has gone down in a silly 1NT from the wrong side while we were getting a plus score. Being one step higher on the good hands is immaterial because there is plenty of space.

What's your approach to hands that would normally make an inverted raise? I've played IM for long enough that I don't really know alternatives for creating forcing auctions in those situations. Would like to hear more. :)

(Somewhere I read an article by Matt Granovetter about a client who insisted on some insanely complicated system that nonetheless didn't have any way to show support for a minor with a strong hand, as he realized on an early deal when partner opened 1D opposite his 2362 17-count.)
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#22 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-22, 13:38

Free, on 2013-June-22, 10:47, said:

In one partnership we dropped Smolen and haven't regretted it.

After a deep discussion in the bar one of our pairs decided to play reverse Smolen and alert it as such.

In my case I've played 1nt - 3 of a suit as everything from 5-5 weak/strong in the minors and 5-5 invite strong majors, natural invite... you name it. None of them come up or would have and get dumped on a regular basis.

Currently playing 3 of a major as 1-3 - (45 or 54) hoping it will be the good imp swing (that never happens).
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#23 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-June-22, 14:38

Five card majors, short club, forcing no trump, 2/1 game force, Drury, weak jump shifts
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#24 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-23, 14:52

Having a 2NT on your convention call as "unusual" does not mean you have to bid 2NT everytime you hold 5-5 in the minors. It just means when you make that bid, it is what you are supposed to hold.

A lot of these "butt-in" conventions can help place the cards if you lose the auction. It can also sometimes lead to the opponents making correct bidding decisions, e.g. play in NT rather than a major if they are likely to suffer ruffs and bad breaks.
You can't keep a good man down

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-June-23, 19:50

GreenMan, on 2013-June-22, 11:40, said:

What's your approach to hands that would normally make an inverted raise? I've played IM for long enough that I don't really know alternatives for creating forcing auctions in those situations. Would like to hear more. :)

Many players use Criss-Cross: 1-2 and 1-3 are good raises.

#26 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-June-23, 19:53

ggwhiz, on 2013-June-22, 13:38, said:

In my case I've played 1nt - 3 of a suit as everything from 5-5 weak/strong in the minors and 5-5 invite strong majors, natural invite... you name it. None of them come up or would have and get dumped on a regular basis.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time one of my 3-level responses came up (except using 3 as a transfer to ). And I've come up with a Murphy's Law of Bridge: if you discuss whether to use one convention or another, whichever you choose, the other type of hand will come up in that session.

#27 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-June-23, 20:34

barmar, on 2013-June-23, 19:50, said:

Many players use Criss-Cross: 1-2 and 1-3 are good raises.

Criss-Cross is simple.

1 2 can be used very effectively as there is lots of room to explore. 1 3 not so much.

My preferred method is:

1. Fit jumps into the majors 1m 2M 10+ 4+m 4+M

2. 1m 2NT GF raise no shortage

3. Splinters at the three level
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#28 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-June-23, 22:33

Zelandakh, on 2013-June-21, 04:05, said:

I guess I have tried and dropped as many things as anyone over the years. Some examples:-

FILM (loved this as a junior)

I couldn't find FILM doing a Google search. What is it? How does it work? Or better, do you know of a link to it?

Zelandakh, on 2013-June-21, 04:05, said:

I guess I have tried and dropped as many things as anyone over the years. Some examples:-

Gerber, Rolling Gerber, Roman Gerber, modified Gerber (the latter using 4NT as the king ask)

I daresay I could fill a couple of pages if I thought of every little thing.

Gerber we all know. What exactly are the other three?

#29 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-23, 22:37

helene_t, on 2013-June-21, 05:39, said:

There were two gadgets that Shogi and I replaced with more natural methods, though. One was to get rid of G/B 2NT. The other was to replace Multi-Landy with Landy.

Very interesting this. Usually it is done the other way round i.e. replacing Landy with Multi-Landy.

#30 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-23, 22:43

barmar, on 2013-June-21, 08:10, said:

If he uses it against you, you know what he thinks of your expertise.

Pray, tell us all Barry; Why can we not upvote the posts of the forum moderators/admin if we think they have given a great reply to anything someone else has posted?
Anyway, +1 for this one.

#31 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-23, 23:17

GreenMan, on 2013-June-22, 11:40, said:

(Somewhere I read an article by Matt Granovetter about a client who insisted on some insanely complicated system that nonetheless didn't have any way to show support for a minor with a strong hand, as he realized on an early deal when partner opened 1D opposite his 2362 17-count.)

Definitely use 2 over 1. Being one step higher doesn't cost. You lose whatever you were doing with 2 before, which for most people is nothing that matters.

Over 1, you can use 2. I don't mind losing a weak or intermediate jump shift and 3 as the only good raise doesn't leave enough space. You can still use 3 to cover some of the hand types though. If playing reverse flannery which I quite like, 2 has to be the main way of raising diamonds which is still ok.

#32 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2013-June-23, 23:59

32519, on 2013-June-23, 22:43, said:

Pray, tell us all Barry; Why can we not upvote the posts of the forum moderators/admin if we think they have given a great reply to anything someone else has posted?
Anyway, +1 for this one.

Use the edit button rather than triple post. It's bad practice.

#33 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-24, 03:10

32519, on 2013-June-23, 22:33, said:

I couldn't find FILM doing a Google search. What is it? How does it work? Or better, do you know of a link to it?

FILM is Fishbein Incorporating Lower Minor, a very old-fashioned defence against 3 level preempts. It works like this:

X is penalty
3 - 3 is takeout
3 - 4 is takeout
3 - 4 is takeout denying 4 hearts
3 - 4 is takeout denying 4 spades
3 - 3 is takeout with 4+ hearts
3 - 3 is takeout with 4+ spades
other calls are as in Standard

32519, on 2013-June-23, 22:33, said:

Gerber we all know. What exactly are the other three?

Rolling Gerber is where the king ask is the next step after the ace response. My first teammates swore by Rolling Gerber. Roman Gerber is where the responses are 0/3, 1/4, 2 same colour, 2 same rank, 2 same shape. This was based on an early attempt to improve simple ace asking (Roman Blackwood) and recommended to me by one of my teachers. Modified Gerber was using 4NT as the king ask, the theory being that you only used Gerber with an unbalanced hand with clear direction, so you never wanted to stop in 4NT.

Note I am not recommending any of these conventions.
(-: Zel :-)

#34 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-24, 03:20

Thanks all for the alternatives to inverted m's. Food for thought. :)
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-24, 05:26

Hugh Kelsey wrote Slam Bidding in 1973. The book included several variants on Blackwood, including Norman Blackwood, which I don't remember at all, and my favorite, Byzantine Blackwood, which truly was Byzantine. So much so that I never even tried to play it. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#36 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-June-24, 08:38

Anyway, +1 for this one.

No idea, the policy predates my tenure here. Maybe someone responsible for the decision will answer in the other thread you asked this in.

#37 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-24, 09:46

Same reason you can't win the concert tickets if you work at the radio station? :)

#38 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-24, 12:45

nigel_k, on 2013-June-23, 23:17, said:

Definitely use 2 over 1. Being one step higher doesn't cost. You lose whatever you were doing with 2 before, which for most people is nothing that matters.

Over 1, you can use 2. I don't mind losing a weak or intermediate jump shift and 3 as the only good raise doesn't leave enough space. You can still use 3 to cover some of the hand types though. If playing reverse flannery which I quite like, 2 has to be the main way of raising diamonds which is still ok.

Yes to this. 2 for the forcing raise, and 2 for the forcing raise. I can't imagine wanting to play without a simple raise available (1-2 and 1-2). You win as mentioned on the hands where you don't have to wildly distort your 8 cts into LR+ or preemptive or wildly offshape/misdirected 1nt, and you win even more when your simple raise allows partner to compete effectively to 3m or 4m, where at other tables they never establish they have a fit -- or they establish it only after opps have gotten in. My partners and I have had numerous 1(p) 2 (p) 3 all pass auctions, where they can't have those with IM. Your preempts now become preemptive, and not just whatever 6-8 count you had to round down. Etc... For all strains, you need a simple raise, a forcing raise, and a preemptive raise available, at least as is possible.

IM is one of the conventions I simply won't play unless partnering a newcomer.

Brian Zaugg
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#39 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-24, 14:20

IMO how useful inverted minors are depends on the rest of the system. We play a weak no trump (so 1m has extra shape or extra values) and all suit openers minimum 4 cards, and find inverted minors are great. I can see that if you play a 2+ card club, you might not want to go nuts with 5 opposite, but we know we're facing a 15 count or 5 clubs unless exactly 4414, so bid 2N/3. We put a lot of hands through the inv minors, they are not GF and may contain a 4 card major so auctions like 1-1-1-2-2-3 are known to be exactly 3 card support as with 4-4 we'd have started with the invert.

That said, I only play them with my regular partner, not in pickup partnerships.

#40 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-24, 16:28

Cyberyeti, on 2013-June-24, 14:20, said:

IMO how useful inverted minors are depends on the rest of the system. We play a weak no trump (so 1m has extra shape or extra values) and all suit openers minimum 4 cards, and find inverted minors are great. I can see that if you play a 2+ card club, you might not want to go nuts with 5 opposite, but we know we're facing a 15 count or 5 clubs unless exactly 4414, so bid 2N/3. We put a lot of hands through the inv minors, they are not GF and may contain a 4 card major so auctions like 1-1-1-2-2-3 are known to be exactly 3 card support as with 4-4 we'd have started with the invert.

That said, I only play them with my regular partner, not in pickup partnerships.

In those methods (and I'm a 10-13nt'er too), how do you make a simple raise of the minor? It's not the forcing raise that's at issue; you keep a forcing raise under any sensible methods. But with IM you lose any ability to make a simple raise when you have a simple raise hand.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users