Posted 2005-January-05, 05:03

Expert casual partner.

Axx
Axx
Kxx
Qxxx

1 - pass - pass - 2
2 - 2NT* - pass - 4NT!!!

* I know you may not agree with 2NT but that was the actual bidding!

What you expect from 4NT?

#2 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-January-05, 05:27

i'd expect it to be a strong hand that would have reversed into diamonds if not for 2nt... i could be wrong but i'm bidding 5C... i'd bid 6 had he doubled first
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-January-05, 05:38

He has about 4 bids to show slam interest, so I think it's "choose your best minor". Bid 5 now.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-05, 05:58

Should be for minor. I vote for 5C. I really hate this kind bid which gives pd much headache. 2N is a good bid.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2005-January-05, 05:59

I think pard is trying for something more than game. What he has I don't know and, quite frankly, I don't care. My hand is about as good as it can get for my bidding, so I bid 6C now.

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-January-05, 08:20

This is difficult to say. What would a balancing cue-bid be? Any two suiter? Hearts and minor? Forcing? I play it as any two suiter, but I doubt that is even close to standard (many will play as major and a minor).

The two opinions are 1) Quantatitive and 2) pick a minor game. For Quantatitive, however, partner would need a balanced hand and around 20 points. Clearly he would not start 2 with that hand as his balancing call (dbl then notrump or jump to 2NT to begin with). How about long clubs and semi-great hand? Well, he bid only 2 not 3 or dlb then jump in clubs, so that hands like 7 clubs to AK and heart and diamond stoppers and is inviting is also out. So I have to agree with the earlier posters this is a minor two suiter. And my hand is "golden" opposite a minor two suiter, we might even be cold for 7 (give partner x x AQxxx AKxxxx), but I see no way to investigate logically so I will just bid 6.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   shanbari 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-January-05, 08:52

i choose 6c too, hopefully find partner has D: AQXX, C: AKXXXX(X),
or D: QJXX, C: AKxxxxx

shan
SHAN

#8 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-05, 09:45

Partner is bidding 2 clubs with these example hands? I know 2nt in balance seat is strong NT, so that is out, but bidding only 2 clubs on these concentrated two suited hands surprises me.

Is 4nt not an option in balance seat, first bid? 3 Clubs? Perhaps even X( p is allowed to bid D sometimes) then club rebid if hand with lots of playing tricks?

On actual bidding I would guess weak two suiter with far less HCP

#9 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-January-05, 10:14

mike777, on Jan 5 2005, 11:45 AM, said:

Partner is bidding 2 clubs with these example hands? I know 2nt in balance seat is strong NT, so that is out, but bidding only 2 clubs on these concentrated two suited hands surprises me.

Is 4nt not an option in balance seat, first bid? 3 Clubs? Perhaps even X( p is allowed to bid D sometimes) then club rebid if hand with lots of playing tricks?

On actual bidding I would guess weak two suiter with far less HCP

Why 4NT with a weak two suiter? I mean, why go negative when you can be positive? Partner clearly can not be weak, and he certainly has no idea that you have a magic hand that might well make opposite a weak minor two suiter. Your hand clearly could be a whole lot worse than it is, and could have significant wasted value in both majors.
--Ben--

#10 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2005-January-05, 10:21

Assume 2clubs could be much less here.

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-January-05, 10:34

Imo if partner is interested in slam, he should bid 3, 3, 4 or 4 first, not 4NT... He has room enough to investigate controls and the like, so I don't think he has a hand interested to go higher than the 5 level :blink:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-05, 10:44

It must be a strong minor two-suiter with longer clubs (he starts with 2D if equal or with longer diamonds).

A method I have heard of in the balancing seat uses the Qbid to show an unspecifed 1 suiter too strong for a simple overcall and uses Roman jump overcalls.

So over 1S: 3C=minors, 3D=red suits, 3H=hearts and clubs.

#13 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-05, 11:51

Same as Ben, I play the Q in balance as an unknown 2 suiter. However, I wouldn't expect this with a casual partner, who I can see making a simple 2 balance on a 5-6.

While I have an absolute moose (wow, can my hand be ANY more perfect for pard?); I'll also settle on 6. 7 may be gin, but again not be makeable; doesn't x, x, Axxxx, AKxxxx? sound about right?
"Phil" on BBO

#14 User is offline   firechief 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-January-10, 09:51

I'll bid 6 clubs. I don't understand why partner didn't bid 3 diamonds or even 4 diamonds over 2nt instead with both minors. Could he really have 12 or 13 cards in the minors? I think what's more likely is that partner was very short in hearts, and didn't want to reopen with a double. Partner's 4nt is actually a strong hand...something like QJx x AQx AKxxxx. If he has the spade ten also or a 7th club, I'll apologize for not trying harder for 7, even though I doubt we'd get there after I bid 5h.
Joel

#15 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-January-14, 22:18

Partner didn't have enough to double back in or jump...but he has enough to commit to game over my 12-14 2NT. Must have a distributional medium strength hand with clubs and diamonds. I'd guess along the line of x, x, AJ10xx, AKxxxx.

With such a great two-suited fit and both majors controlled I'm bidding 6 clubs and expect to make it.

winstonm
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#16 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-14, 22:50

IF partner is showing the minors, some of the example hands would have poor play for game opposite a 2N response not including a major suit Ace. Therefore, they are minimums. My hand is so golden that I will try 5S, which partner should interpret as an RKCB response for clubs. He may even work out that my hand is too good for a mere 6C, and infer that I have the diamond King. Then he can make an intelligent decision. Even if he is totally confused, he will retreat to 6 clubs, which would be my second choice.

#17 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-15, 00:13

6C.
Senshu

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-January-15, 16:41

I would take it as quantitative, wich kind of hand can partner have for not doubling that can play slam?, IMO he expects a bit more from our 2NT he probably has the super maximum (good 16?) with 6, I don't think playing 6 is good because we don't have KJ or A10 or similar at all to make 29 HCP into 32 after finesing.

I would pass at MP, 5 at IMPs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users