BBO Discussion Forums: Adjust the auction, sure, but to what - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adjust the auction, sure, but to what Pairs EBU

#21 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-18, 17:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-December-18, 16:48, said:

Why?

Because he cancelled the 3 bid and decided that there would be bits of 4=, 4=, 5x-1 and 4-1 (plus possibly small amounts of other things like 4x=) and he couldn't work out how much of each as in the wait for the director to finish playing the other pair scarpered so he couldn't ask them about their agreements as to what X of 3 or 4 would be. If these doubles are for pens (as I'm sure X of 4 would be for this pair, not sure about 3) then we're getting a much better adjustment than if they're for T/O.

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-18, 20:15

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-December-18, 17:03, said:

Because he cancelled the 3 bid and decided that there would be bits of 4=, 4=, 5x-1 and 4-1 (plus possibly small amounts of other things like 4x=) and he couldn't work out how much of each as in the wait for the director to finish playing the other pair scarpered so he couldn't ask them about their agreements as to what X of 3 or 4 would be. If these doubles are for pens (as I'm sure X of 4 would be for this pair, not sure about 3) then we're getting a much better adjustment than if they're for T/O.

Then IMO he should have applied Law 12C1{d} and awarded an artificial adjusted score.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-December-19, 04:59

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-December-18, 20:15, said:

Then IMO he should have applied Law 12C1{d} and awarded an artificial adjusted score.

Which is sort of what he did, he just put it in as a real score.

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-19, 09:15

The logic by which he got to the score is flawed. Who's to say he won't use flawed logic in some other case to arrive at a completely ridiculous ruling?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-December-19, 10:41

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-December-19, 09:15, said:

The logic by which he got to the score is flawed. Who's to say he won't use flawed logic in some other case to arrive at a completely ridiculous ruling?

Flawed logic is a lot better than the "logic" applied to most rulings in my part of the world sadly, most rulings seem to more depend on who you are than what you've done. :(

#26 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-19, 14:11

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-December-19, 10:41, said:

Flawed logic is a lot better than the "logic" applied to most rulings in my part of the world sadly, most rulings seem to more depend on who you are than what you've done. :(

There is a major error in finding an assigned score that will match an artificial score and awarding this instead of the artificial score:

An assigned score "participates" in the calculation of matchpoints or IMPs (as the case may be), an artificial score does not. It can be argued that this doesn't make much difference, but it does and such argument is irrelevant.

#27 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-December-23, 18:58

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-December-18, 17:03, said:

So looking a the results is unprofessional - and yes, that is a far politer word than I am thinking.

Why not just go for
.. 40% of 4 =, NS +130
+ 10% of 4 -1, NS +100
+ 25% of 5x -1, NS -100
+ 25% of 4 =, NS -620

If this comes to a poorer score than the table result then there's no damage.

Presumably if this was a County pairs Final he is using Jeff Smith to score, so the software will do it for him? If he is using Scorebridge [why?] then he shall have to do a bit of work.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#28 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-December-25, 04:30

View Postbluejak, on 2012-December-23, 18:58, said:

So looking a the results is unprofessional - and yes, that is a far politer word than I am thinking.

Why not just go for
.. 40% of 4 =, NS +130
+ 10% of 4 -1, NS +100
+ 25% of 5x -1, NS -100
+ 25% of 4 =, NS -620

If this comes to a poorer score than the table result then there's no damage.

Presumably if this was a County pairs Final he is using Jeff Smith to score, so the software will do it for him? If he is using Scorebridge [why?] then he shall have to do a bit of work.

Unprofessional OK, but the director and scorer were amateur volunteers taken from among the players who happened to qualify. Scoring program was Jeff Smith, but I think only one person there knows it well, certainly a couple of weeks before at my local club, everybody knew a weighted score was needed, but nobody was able to enter one as that one guy was away on holiday.

#29 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-25, 08:36

Before he goes on holiday again, insist that he train some others in how to use the program.

A program without proper and well written documentation is poor - doesn't this "jeff smith" thing have a manual, or internal help, or better yet, both?
--------------------

#30 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-25, 20:01

While Jeff Smith programs are not always easy [don't tell Jeff I said so, but I am afraid it is true] weighted scores are trivially easy.

Also, I am beginning to worry about bridge events which are run by TDs and scorers who do not know what they were doing. This happened to me earlier this year and it was one of the worst weekends I have ever played. I think it is time organisers realised that saving money is great until you realise you lose players by providing poorly run bridge.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#31 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-26, 06:18

There is plenty of documentation on Jeff Smith's website, and I easily and quickly found full instructions on entering a weighted score. It's also so simple that it is difficult to see how someone could try to do it and fail, even without the documentation.

#32 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-26, 09:14

And yet "everybody knew a weighted score was needed, but nobody was able to enter one as that one guy was away on holiday". :blink: :ph34r:
--------------------

#33 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-26, 10:47

I only said it was difficult to be unsuccessful; perhaps no-one felt confident enough to try.

#34 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-26, 10:49

I was directing a couple of weeks ago at our club, and decided to give a table a DP for starting a board when I'd explicitly told them to take a late play. Took me forever to figure out how to do it in ACBLScore -- the word "penalty" doesn't appear anywhere in its documentation.

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-26, 11:09

ACBLScore fits my definition of "poor". B-)
--------------------

#36 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-26, 19:34

View Postbarmar, on 2012-December-26, 10:49, said:

I was directing a couple of weeks ago at our club, and decided to give a table a DP for starting a board when I'd explicitly told them to take a late play. Took me forever to figure out how to do it in ACBLScore -- the word "penalty" doesn't appear anywhere in its documentation.

I don't know ACBL Score, so I don't know the answer. But I can guess. Based on years of experience with various pieces of software my guess is that penalties are put in as adjustments with a minus sign.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#37 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-26, 19:54

And the prize goes to David Stevenson! :D

The three letter command "ADJ" is used for "outside adjustments". Neither the manual nor the built in help explains what that means. I've found that the easiest way to find how to do something in this program is to hit F11, which brings up a list of commands with short descriptions, from which one might hope to figure out what to do.

The word "penalty" appears nowhere in the ACBLScore documentation. :(

ISTR there's an online course in how to use ACBLScore. I wonder if it covers PPs and DPs?
--------------------

#38 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-27, 02:48

View Postbluejak, on 2012-December-26, 19:34, said:

Based on years of experience with various pieces of software my guess is that penalties are put in as adjustments with a minus sign.

Conversely, Scorebridge only allows adjustments as Fines. So, if you want to give a positive adjustment (eg in order to do a weighted ruling, which isn't otherwise catered for), you have to give a negative Fine!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#39 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-27, 15:36

It's ok, Gordon, I didn't fall for that one either. When a good player went on after unalerted Bergen and a signoff [and was surprised to receive a PP for it :)] and I had to put in a fine via Scorebridge, I put a figure in then checked what it did to the score.

Why did I fine him not adjust? Well, his score was 3NT -4, vulnerable: most pairs, including his opponents' team-mates, got 5 = the other way - not vulnerable!
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#40 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-December-31, 06:33

View Postbluejak, on 2012-December-25, 20:01, said:

Also, I am beginning to worry about bridge events which are run by TDs and scorers who do not know what they were doing. This happened to me earlier this year and it was one of the worst weekends I have ever played. I think it is time organisers realised that saving money is great until you realise you lose players by providing poorly run bridge.

Unfortunately if you paid anybody to administer, the entry fees would go up, and nobody would enter where I am (you should hear the grumbles when people turn up for a club night and find it's a "hideously expensive" sim pairs). The fields are small enough that other than our county congress and green point weekends, you rarely get non playing directors and scorers and when you do, they're still unpaid.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users