• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spades Spades Tournaments

#1 User is offline   Bartbear47 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-28, 12:50

Hello everyone.

My name is Joe Andrews. For many years, (1999-2011) I organized The World Series of Spades.

www.grandprixtournaments.com -- Grand Prix was discontinued in late 2011 when
the main Sponsor of the Series ended the funding.

Spades is in the same 'family' of card games including Bridge and Whsit.
I also tried to obtain support / sponsorship from the ACBL, to no avail.
Some posts in this Forum have revealed that the ACBL did consider launching
a Spades organization (under the ACBL 'umbrella') in the early 2000's.
This project was later 'mothballed'.

Spades is the prefect introductory game to Bridge. However, Spades is also
a very good game of its own, with plenty of strategy, advanced play,
and technique.

Is there any interest out there for a "live" Spades tournament?

How about Whist or Bid Whist?

Please voice your opinion (in this Forum) in the form of a reply or commentary.

Thanks!

-JoeA

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-28, 13:50

Funny, I was just talking to dustin stout about playing the live spades event this year with him if they have it.

I have been playing a ton of spades lately, def interested in a live spades event.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-June-28, 15:03

I have a question;

How do you make a 'spades' tournament ? I mean do you make it like poker tourneys where everyone is dealt different cards from other tables and somehow eliminates their opponents or do you do it duplicated as we do in Bridge ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-June-28, 15:35

Duplicate spades exists but pretty sure it's just a knockout format. A good pair against a bad pair could still be like 85 % to win single game of spades. Even an elite pair against a good pair can be like 75 % imo.

#5 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2012-June-28, 18:05

Joe, good to see you in Bridgebase, lol.

The format is a standard "500 game" format. Generally there is a round robin, and a set number of teams with the best record moves to a "play off round". From there, you play in knock out matches which consist of a "best of 3 games" format.

Hopefully we can get another tournament going -- in Vegas this time, Joe.

#6 User is offline   Bartbear47 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-29, 07:46

View PostMrAce, on 2012-June-28, 15:03, said:

I have a question;

How do you make a 'spades' tournament ? I mean do you make it like poker tourneys where everyone is dealt different cards from other tables and somehow eliminates their opponents or do you do it duplicated as we do in Bridge ?

#7 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-June-29, 07:50

Played Spades for 10 years before starting bridge. Cannot say that I will be able to play live being that I live in Sweden, but great game. BTW, hello dustin. Wabbit from GP here.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#8 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-29, 08:05

What site you playing Spades at Justin? If you want to play I love the game.
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

#9 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2012-June-29, 10:36

View PostRunemPard, on 2012-June-29, 08:05, said:

What site you playing Spades at Justin? If you want to play I love the game.

We've been grinding out games on Yahoo, lol (Kings Quarter). Head on over, we need more decent opponents. Generally play later at night though.

#10 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-June-30, 22:24

Lurpoa, how the f**k is quoting someone else's post with no reply worth an upvote? Really... :angry:
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   jmc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-11, 16:26

Where is the best place to play competitive spades online? What are the best communities? Is there a forum? Does anyone know if ACBL score can be used to run spade tournaments? What is a normal spades tournament format?

I am looking to start a live spades game on Friday nights at a local bridge club.

#12 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-12, 20:56

Can you play a spades tournament the same as a normal duplicate, or teams match? If not, why not? Haven't ever played spades, but quickly looked up the rules after reading this post.
I Transfers

#13 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 01:45

You can...

There is a form of Spades where you play like a team match. Both tables play the same amount of hands. After completion, subtract the point differences from both tables to determine the winner. There is no sort of VP scale, but there could be.

Duplicate spades like MPs could also be possible I suppose...but would need to decide how to handle bags. Overtricks would be a bad thing...

So, a hand played 70pts to 33pts by team A would be better than 71pts to 32pts by team B

Edit: Would be best to have two sections...one for NS and EW. A way to include sets into the scoring would be needed as well. If we managed to set our opponents on an 11 bid for 73-(-40) this would be better than 70-42. You would also need to decide if boards would have a score or bag count before play, so it would be quite complicated.

NS scores for board 1...
73(set)

Then the EW scores...

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-September-13, 02:18

View PostStatto, on 2012-June-30, 22:24, said:

Lurpoa, how the f**k is quoting someone else's post with no reply worth an upvote? Really... :angry:

I see you joined to forums in 2011.

Or you would have known that even a fart by right person deserves an upvote for Lurpoa, while the wrong person will be awarded by a downvote even for the best reply ever.(Thank god BBF took care of the downvote part)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2012-September-14, 03:38

If the scores of NS and EW were sepatated, there can exist many circumstances where both partners coorporating each other (like NS making +60 and EW making +70, or NS making +330(Grand slam) and EW +100(NIL) ) because the score earned for you do not matter for the score for me. Then the scores would really depend on luck (the strength of their hands).

If the scores of both pairs differ (i.e. NS - EW = NS Net Score), it is difficult to handle overtricks. According to the rule, in two-to-two family match, the bags would accumate until the end of the game (i.e. Someone reached 500 points). In the final four-to-four team match this would also work too. But In round robin duplicate, It is difficult to decide how each pair would accumate their bags as they play too few boards before moving to next round. Maybe it would be best to aboundant bags and give per-count penalty directly to each overtrick.

#16 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2012-September-14, 03:41

View PostRunemPard, on 2012-September-13, 01:45, said:

You can...

There is a form of Spades where you play like a team match. Both tables play the same amount of hands. After completion, subtract the point differences from both tables to determine the winner. There is no sort of VP scale, but there could be.

Duplicate spades like MPs could also be possible I suppose...but would need to decide how to handle bags. Overtricks would be a bad thing...

So, a hand played 70pts to 33pts by team A would be better than 71pts to 32pts by team B

Edit: Would be best to have two sections...one for NS and EW. A way to include sets into the scoring would be needed as well. If we managed to set our opponents on an 11 bid for 73-(-40) this would be better than 70-42. You would also need to decide if boards would have a score or bag count before play, so it would be quite complicated.

NS scores for board 1...
73(set)

Then the EW scores...

It is as complicated as playing duplicated bridge in a rubber bridge manner.
We don't use part scores, which can be accumated to a game, in all duplicate bridge.
It is as equally convincing as to aboundant bags in duplicated Spades.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users