BBO Discussion Forums: Weirdest/worst agreements you've encountered at the table? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weirdest/worst agreements you've encountered at the table?

#81 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-30, 18:45

View PostArtK78, on 2012-August-30, 08:57, said:

When I first started playing duplicate bridge (early 1970s), one of the main clubs in the area was at the local Jewish Community Center (JCC). The level of play at the JCC was not high. Many of the players there had been playing for years and had advanced as far as they were ever going to advance.

It was here that I ran across what I referred to as the "JCC double." It was a takeout double with shortness in an unbid suit. A typical auction would proceed as follows:

(1) - x* - (P) - 1
(P) - 1NT** - (P) - 2***
(P) - 2NT****

* - the JCC double - could be a real takeout double, but....
** - Pard, I don't like your suit.
*** - But I really have spades!
**** - Pard, I really don't like your suit!

Eventually, the message got across, and they played in another suit or notrump.

In all of my experience at this club, the doubler never had extra values for the double followed by NT bid.

Same at my club - when they have an opening hand, they feel they MUST bid, and if they have nothing to overcall they double. So usually they either have lots of cards in our opened suit, or a takeout double. It's so annoying when their pard bids a suit, and they happen to have support for it - they have one or two cards in the other unbid suits (and four or five in ours) but four cards in the one their pard bid. However, it's great in the sense that when their pard has a six-card suit, they don't feel comfortable bidding it at a high level (in case there is only singleton support), so we usually get away with murder.
I Transfers

#82 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-August-30, 21:04

1c 1h
2s

I was asked last night if this was a WJS.

That would be quite a weird agreement!
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#83 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-30, 22:16

View Postwyman, on 2012-August-30, 21:04, said:

1c 1h
2s

At a club game a while back, I opened 1. LHO passed, partner bid 2. RHO turned to me and said in a loud voice: Does that show hearts and a minor? A bit flabbergasted, I simply responded "no" to which RHO said (sounding a bit annoyed) well what is it then? Having recovered my equilibrium somewhat, I replied "it shows three or more spades and about five to nine points." RHO gave me an annoyed look and passed.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#84 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-31, 03:20

View Postawm, on 2012-August-30, 22:16, said:

At a club game a while back, I opened 1. LHO passed, partner bid 2. RHO turned to me and said in a loud voice: Does that show hearts and a minor? A bit flabbergasted, I simply responded "no" to which RHO said (sounding a bit annoyed) well what is it then? Having recovered my equilibrium somewhat, I replied "it shows three or more spades and about five to nine points." RHO gave me an annoyed look and passed.

:D
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#85 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-31, 03:48

Funny, here in North England the idea that a double just shows "an opening hand" is not widespread. Another frequent club-player mistake that I encountered frequently in the Netherlands but not often here is abuse of blackwood/gerber.

People here tend to open and overcall very light and then compensate by being very conservative in response to openings and overcalls. Occasionaly you will see a 2/1 on a 7-count followed by a pass after opener's high reverse or jump rebid. But generally people tend to understate rather than overstate their values.

One very frequent mistake people commit here, though, is to bid 5-card suits twice even when there is a perfect alternative.

One very frequent mistake, both here and in NL, is in follow-ups after t/o doubles. Doubler bids again and again, just repeating the message that s/he has a 13-count or such, while advancer with an 11-count never shows any life.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#86 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-31, 05:17

An amusing explanation I was once given:

"We play third and fourth leads"

Never having heard of this style, I ask when they lead third rather than fourth.

"When we only have three"
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#87 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-August-31, 15:11

View PostVampyr, on 2012-August-31, 05:17, said:

An amusing explanation I was once given:

"We play third and fourth leads"

Never having heard of this style, I ask when they lead third rather than fourth.

"When we only have three"

This has a weird sort of appeal. Sort of a "We do the best we can" response. I like it.
Ken

#88 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-31, 17:24

I've actually thought for a long time that it's the correct description. Against NT, you rarely lead from 3 to an honor, so "4th best" is almost always in a 4+ suit. But against suits, it's quite common to lead from 3 to an honor. So even if you check "4th best", often it's only 3rd best.

#89 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-03, 06:23

My very first partner insisted on playing a 2 response to an opening bid as asking for Opener's point range. Responses: 2 = 12-13; 2 = 14-15; 2 = 16-17; 2NT = 18-19, all irrespective of Opener's shape. Eventually I found out that this was being used to avoid the "problem" of a rebid in a new suit being wide range, so I was able to suggest playing Opener's jump shift as 16+ as a compromise. I am pretty certain that this "2 Asking Range" convention is the worst I have personally played.
(-: Zel :-)

#90 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-September-03, 07:53

"Always lead a spade"

Had a pickup partner in a club game, and he told me he always leads a spade. I confirmed that this applied to all contracts that he was on initial lead to, except when he had a void in spades, and decided it was best to pre-alert the opponents to this agreement (I decided I was not bound to his agreement, but there's the question of whether we are playing distinct methods). It certainly put a damper on my lead directional bids, and in subsequent club games I was fortunate to have him as my LHO, which produced fun results.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#91 User is offline   sasioc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-03, 15:42

I once encountered a pair who played Benji (two strong and artificial openings at the 2 level) with a strong club. When asked how they dealt with opening hands with clubs they said, "some of those hands are a bit awkward and sometimes we just have to pass".

#92 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-03, 17:47

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-September-03, 06:23, said:

My very first partner insisted on playing a 2 response to an opening bid as asking for Opener's point range. Responses: 2 = 12-13; 2 = 14-15; 2 = 16-17; 2NT = 18-19, all irrespective of Opener's shape. Eventually I found out that this was being used to avoid the "problem" of a rebid in a new suit being wide range, so I was able to suggest playing Opener's jump shift as 16+ as a compromise. I am pretty certain that this "2 Asking Range" convention is the worst I have personally played.

Ron Klinger's Power system ahd 1x 2C as a weak relay; opened bid 2d with a min hand. Drury has a similar rationale.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#93 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-03, 17:56

View Postthe hog, on 2012-September-03, 17:47, said:

Ron Klinger's Power system ahd 1x 2C as a weak relay; opened bid 2d with a min hand. Drury has a similar rationale.

The Power system isn't very good. And Drury uses one bid to show all good hands, not wasting room, which is hardly needed anyway (responder either bids the major, or a new suit or NT to show clubs, and has a tight range so opener won't need much room to find the right spot).
I Transfers

#94 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2012-September-03, 18:09

"The Power system isn't very good"
Really? And on what font of wisdom do you base this comment? Is it too hard for you?
Peter Gill thought it was ok, just that it was difficult to remember.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#95 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-03, 21:41

Only based on what people who I trust have told me. I have never played it, and am only familiar with its basics. Peter is the player I respect the most above all other bridge players, and if he thinks it is a good system, I guess I should believe him, and do some more reading on it. Has he voluntarily played it with anyone besides Klinger, though?
I Transfers

#96 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2012-September-03, 22:49

No. The memory strain is high. Lilley liked it as well.

#97 User is offline   ThymePuns 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-September-07, 17:54

View Postwyman, on 2012-August-30, 21:04, said:

1c 1h
2s

In the same auction, someone once asked me if it was a jump shift.

#98 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-08, 11:31

I came across a new one last night. They bid 1 2 2 pass. 8 tricks, and a top for them. Both of them explained afterwards that it is not forcing.

#99 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-08, 11:41

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-September-08, 11:31, said:

I came across a new one last night. They bid 1 2 2 pass. 8 tricks, and a top for them. Both of them explained afterwards that it is not forcing.

I suspect that they do not play whatever system they claim to play.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#100 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-September-09, 09:32

The most awful one I played was a homegrown club system which was quite popular at a local club. Since I played quite a lot against it, I wanted to learn it to know it's issues. It's a strong system with light limited openings. The basis is relatively normal (except the responses, but lets not get carried away):
1 = 17+ any
1 = 10-14, no 5 card M (0+)
1M = 10-14, 5+M

As you can see, there's a gap between 1 and the limited openings. Their solution:
1NT = 15-16 balanced (may have any 5 card)
2X = 15-16, unbalanced, 5+X

A while later they modified the 2X openings to include weak two's. The result was:
2 = 15-16, unbalanced, 5+//
2 = 15-16, unbalanced, 5+
2M = weak

Still pretty awful if you ask me...

My simple solution was playing 11-15 and 16+ ranges (hell, even play 10-15 if you really want to open all 10-counts) and have the entire 2-level free. However, when I tried to convince them, it appeared to be too difficult to understand by these people. They were too happy to know opener's HCPs very accurately when they opened 2X. :blink:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users