Posted 2012-September-04, 13:35

IMPS, Teams, W V R, you deal.

AKT92
K973
K4

1H (2S) 3D (3S)
P (P) X (P)
?

Ops are regular partnership but not the best in the club.

We play 2/1 with system off over intervening bids. I couldn't remember if we played jump fits as we only play sporadically but we did play regularly at one point and it may have been discussed.

Partner does like to double but he did say at the start that he was going to be conservative.

I thought long and hard before pulling to 4D which partner converted to 4H and 11 tricks were made, but he was convinced straight after the board that we would have been better off leaving the double in.

Some questions:

1. Do you leave it in at Teams given the info I have provided?

2. Do you leave it in with a regular partner and if so what sort of hand do you expect opposite for the double?

3. Is it different at MPs?

4. Finally should I have not put myself in that position by bidding 4D instead of passing? I was afraid it would have shown a much stronger hand.

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-September-04, 13:42

If partner's bidding 3-forcing-diamonds, and I have Kxxx support and xx of the suit that opps bid and raised, no, I will not pass partner's double here. I would have raised diamonds last time.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 13:59

View Postwyman, on 2012-September-04, 13:42, said:

I would have raised diamonds last time.

Me too. A transfer of responsibility,
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-September-04, 14:06

1. Double here is partially "can you bid 3NT." We have a diamond fit and spades are probably 2-2. Still, passing looks correct. Partner has at most two hearts, so probably we get two heart tricks. If partner has A we get that, but no more probably. If we're making 4 or 5, then we can only lose [a heart if we're in 4 and] a spade and a club or two spades or a spade and a diamond. In all these cases, it looks like we get a club ruff and they're down 2, with the preceding guesses. And it could be better. If we're not making, they still look like they're down 1 or more.

2. Yes. How about xx xx AQxxxx Axx or Kx Jx AJ10xxx Qxx or Ax x QJxxxx Axxx.

3. I'm definitely leaving it in at MPs.

4. No, I like pass. Maybe partner will bid 3NT, or double.

Added: White vs Red is really the key point here. At IMPs frequent scenarios per my guesses are we'll either get 500 vs 400/420, a mild win, or 200 vs -50/-100, a good sized win. At MPs both of these are big wins.

#5 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 14:31

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-September-04, 13:35, said:

Some questions:

1. Do you leave it in at Teams given the info I have provided?. Too close for me to leave it in.

2. Do you leave it in with a regular partner and if so what sort of hand do you expect opposite for the double? No, maybe Ax xx AJxxxx Qxx

3. Is it different at MPs? Yep down 1 = good score

4. Finally should I have not put myself in that position by bidding 4D instead of passing? I was afraid it would have shown a much stronger hand. I'm raising at first turn, partner will know what to do :)

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-September-04, 14:40

I would have raised the previous round. Partner bid 3D, game forcing, and I have 4-card support. Not only that, but I have a hand that is all in aces and kings. Partner could have Ax xx AQxxxx Axx when 7D has good play.

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-September-04, 15:58

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-September-04, 14:40, said:

I would have raised the previous round. Partner bid 3D, game forcing, and I have 4-card support. Not only that, but I have a hand that is all in aces and kings. Partner could have Ax xx AQxxxx Axx when 7D has good play.

We agree and I simply don't understand passing the previous round with this hand.

#8 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-04, 17:29

Rule I have been taught - don't let pard defend when you have a nine-card fit he does not know about. Here it could even be a ten or eleven card fit.

Should have raised the previous round, if there was no 3 bid you would still have had to raise at the four level, so there is no need to pass to show a minimum.
I Transfers

#9 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-September-05, 00:27

Thanks everyone, some comments.

Perhaps one difference is that I didn't take partners first bid as being as strong as some people assume, partner does like to get in to the bidding:

QJ3
AQT2
A862

He's about a Q stronger than I gave him credit for at these colours and I knew he would get another go if he was a bit stronger. If they hadn't bid 3S I would probably have gone back to 3H to give P a shot at 3NT if he had a stopper.

Perhaps we need a long discussion on what we bid in those situations if it is to be forcing.

Simon

#10 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 00:38

Do you play five-card majors? I personally don't understand (not as criticism, an honest lack of understanding) the failure to support hearts at both opportunities.

#11 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-September-05, 02:39

Your example hand has absolutely nothing to do with his bidding, so it does not proove anything. He can raise hearts or double for take out, but he cannot bid 3 with that hand. He showed a hand like in Frances example.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 04:18

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-September-05, 00:27, said:

Perhaps one difference is that I didn't take partners first bid as being as strong as some people assume, partner does like to get in to the bidding:

QJ3
AQT2
A862

Was that partner's actual hand? I think X is a much better description (or 2NT/3S/some other heart raise, if playing 5cM). Still, on the actual auction, you should maybe raise to 4D at your second turn as others have said (not sure I would though due to concerns about missing 3NT... ugh)

Perhaps we need a long discussion on what we bid in those situations if it is to be forcing.

3D is 100% forcing? :)

ahydra

#13 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 07:04

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-September-05, 00:27, said:

Thanks everyone, some comments.

QJ3
AQT2
A862

He's about a Q stronger than I gave him credit for at these colours and I knew he would get another go if he was a bit stronger. If they hadn't bid 3S I would probably have gone back to 3H to give P a shot at 3NT if he had a stopper.

Simon

Bidding 3D on this hand seems really bad. Either bid 3S in 5cM or dble if partner might have four hearts.

The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users