BBO Discussion Forums: Negative X after nt interference at which level(s)? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Negative X after nt interference at which level(s)?

Poll: Playing 15-17 NT (59 member(s) have cast votes)

1N (2x) X and 1 (3x) X

1. Negative only at the 2 level (4 votes [6.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

2. Hegative only at the 3 level (11 votes [18.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

3. Negative at both the 2&3 levels (44 votes [74.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-05, 01:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-September-05, 00:57, said:

Since Sathyab mentioned they use neg doubles in this situation, and that doesn't apply to opener but rather to responder ---the question seems to be whether we must double in his given situation to allow for a penalty pass.

This actually came up for me yesterday. At favourable, partner opened a weak NT and RHO overcalled 2 on trash. I held KQJx with Ax and passed. Unfortunately partner also passed with Tx so we missed out on the juicy penalty. We discussed afterwards precisely this point - the need to re-open aggressively at the 2 level with a small doubleton in their suit.
(-: Zel :-)

#42 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-05, 11:04

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-September-05, 00:44, said:

Yes, I reopen. By agreement, I reopen aggressively as the NT bidder with a doubleton in their suit. This agreement has scored relatively badly in a small sample, though, so it might be worth reexamining.

I was doing a sanity check. I think it's reasonable to reopen with this hand if you do play negative doubles at the 2-level.

The small sample where it has done badly got slightly bigger (:- You catch partner with 8xx K9xx xxx Txx. Nowhere to go except pass. Declarer had 1-4-2-6 shape and wrapped up 8 tricks without too much trouble. Opponents can make 8 tricks in either rounded suit, but only two other pairs found 2 surprisingly. Others played in their 6-1 fit and made 8 tricks although some couldn't stop at the 2-level.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#43 User is offline   rsteele 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-07, 03:47

Bridge theory comes and goes depending on the opponents. Assuming sound opponents I prefer negative at the three level and penalty at the two. However at imp pairs on line I think penalty is best. The opponents seem to be overcalling on even lighter hands these days and I find it hard to pass up big numbers.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users