BBO Discussion Forums: Negative X after nt interference at which level(s)? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Negative X after nt interference at which level(s)?

Poll: Playing 15-17 NT (59 member(s) have cast votes)

1N (2x) X and 1 (3x) X

1. Negative only at the 2 level (4 votes [6.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

2. Hegative only at the 3 level (11 votes [18.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

3. Negative at both the 2&3 levels (44 votes [74.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-August-16, 00:41

I'm interested to see who is playing what here.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 00:51

Both are negative for me, in fact the one at 3 level being negative is mandatory imo, because if one insists on playing penalty doubles at 2 level , he can cover some of the hands by lebensohl, which is not the case at 3 level besides the fact that pd opened NT and RHO has 7-8 cards suit makes us highly unlikely to have a penalty double.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 02:26

I haven't voted in the poll because I can't choose more than one option! The answer is that it depends entirely on who I'm playing with. I still play both penalties in one partnership and both negative in another, and I've played negative at the 2-level and penalties at the 3-level, and the reverse in the past. Like Mr Ace, if I had to choose one for penalties and one for negative, I would go for negative at the 3-level.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 02:58

1N-2x-X pens
1N-3x-X neg
2N-3x-X neg

As stated earlier, we use lebensohl to cover a lot of the negative double hands.

#5 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-August-16, 03:31

There is a lot you haven’t told us here. Is the overcall on level-2 natural or conventional? Also, what is the vulnerability? The answer to those questions changes the meaning of the X.

On the 2-level:
If the overcall is natural and the vulnerability equal, then X = “Stolen Bid” for both Stayman and Jacoby Transfer Bids (could even be 4-way transfer bids as well if the overcall was 2).
If the overcall is natural and the opponents are red v white, then X = penalty orientated.
If the overcall is conventional, then the X shows interest in penalising at least one of the suits shown by the opponents e.g. Multi Landy or DONT

On the 3-level:
With the opponents red v white, then X = penalty orientated.
With the opponents white v red, then X = negative.
At equal vulnerability, then X = negative.

#6 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-16, 06:09

When you say "negative" you mean takeout, right?

I play: over natural interference of 1NT, it is takeout. Over two-suited interference, it is takeout of the bid suit, if it shows two suits not the bid suit, it is takeout of the higher one. If it shows a known suit (not the bid suit) and an unknown suit, it is takeout of the known suit. If it shows a mystery suit, X shows a not unbalanced hand and near-gameforce (to facillitate penalising them). To show suits I play rubensohl. For penalty, I hope partner can make a takeout double.

Over 3-level interference, it is takeout, and suit bids are natural and forcing to game (rubensohl only if 2NT trf to clubs is available).
I Transfers

#7 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 06:13

Doesnt pretty much everyone play t/o doubles now?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-August-16, 07:59

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-August-16, 06:13, said:

Only bbf'ers, not your average club player.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-August-16, 08:05

I didn't get into opponents 2-suited overcalls, known suits, unknown suits etc , you need detailed agreements with your
partner about these.

This was intended just as a simple poll about negative (takeout) doubles over simple 2 and 3 level interference after we open 1nt,
but of course nothing can be simple on BBF :)
(still learning)

#10 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-August-16, 08:21

Ha!

The live novices switched from Penalty to Stolen Bid about five years back, after the polluting influence of the internet got to them. A substantial minority of them have decided on their own that 1NT-(3H)-X must show 5 spades just like 1NT-(2H)-X.

Takeout at the 2-level is still very rare among the good players in my area. They have at least heard of it, but only the handful of weak notrumpers ever play it. Only when our opponents get good enough to quit overcalling on garbage that gives up huge penalties will we be willing to give up our penalty doubles against them.

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-16, 08:46

Negative doubles at the 3 level only are carryovers from the original version of Lebensohl where you bid 2 over 2 with four pieces.

Whoever espoused this apparently hated giving up their precious penalty doubles.

Please play them at the 2 and 3 level. They should be on at the four level too IMO.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 09:05

View PostSiegmund, on 2012-August-16, 08:21, said:

Takeout at the 2-level is still very rare among the good players in my area. They have at least heard of it, but only the handful of weak notrumpers ever play it.

Interesting, I would say that penalty doubles have more merrit if you play a weak NT. But maybe I have it backwards.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-16, 10:13

View PostWellSpyder, on 2012-August-16, 02:26, said:

I haven't voted in the poll because I can't choose more than one option! The answer is that it depends entirely on who I'm playing with.

That's probably true for most players, so perhaps the poll should be interpreted as what your preference is, not what you actually play.

#14 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2012-August-16, 22:04

I feel like it's somewhat mandatory to play negative at the three-level; otherwise there are too many hands where you can't get to the right contract.

At the two-level I play penalty in one partnership and takeout in another. I don't have a really strong preference; the "takeout" hands are more common but the "penalty" hands are more lucrative.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#15 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 22:46

but the "penalty" hands are more lucrative.

Meh, usually partner reopens anyway and negative double allows you to double them when the trump stuck is in the opener's hand.

#16 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-17, 13:28

All these doubles are t/o in my partnership showing appropriate values for the level and can be passed in a flash when opener has the wrong shape for offence.

What you really need to make this style work is the 1nt opener who has no fear of re-opening with double on the right shape.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#17 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-August-17, 13:52

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-August-16, 22:46, said:

Meh, usually partner reopens anyway and negative double allows you to double them when the trump stuck is in the opener's hand.

Actually, the benefit of penalty doubles, in my opinion, is that you don't feel the pressure to reopen as much with shortness in their suit, forcing partner to find a call on their 3-4-3-3 1 count.

I still prefer to play negative doubles at the 2 or 3 level, but I am slowly moving back towards indifference on the subject.
Chris Gibson

#18 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-17, 14:15

I am strongly in favor of negative doubles at both levels here.

Of course doubling a 2 overcall, depending on it's meaning, can easily be played as stayman since you can play your entire system.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#19 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2012-August-17, 16:20

Some situations where penalty wins:

1. Opponents stepped into a 5-1 or 6-0 fit. If our trumps divide 4-3 takeout leaves us unable to penalize. Further, if responder trap passes with game values, we may defend undoubled! Of course, if responder never trap passes with game values we will miss many penalties.

2. Responder has a generally big hand (say 13-14 opposite 15-17) with just three trumps. Here penalizing can often pick up a bigger number than game, but partner will neither balance if we pass nor convert a takeout.

3. Responder has utter trash with length in their suit. Playing takeout double, opener will often protect and we may find ourselves doubled at the three level, giving a number instead of defending a quiet partial.

Obviously takeout has wins too... and I do play it in some partnerships.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#20 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-17, 17:06

I would say it's hard to count your 2 or 3 as wins since they have equivalent losses that offset (on 2 the double may work worse than bidding game instead of working better, and on 3 there are the cases where responder has takeout shape without the values to act if playing penalty doubles and opener also has takeout shape, they just play 2 when we wanted to be competing).

Really your case 1 is the one gain for penalty doubles that I see, and it's true. Against that, at least if you can't double them you still penalize them undoubled, often 200 or 300 if they are vul, which is not so bad. Does that make up for the times a takeout double is lucratively passed by opener for penalties, plus the times we simply get to compete when we wouldn't have otherwise? When combined with the relative frequencies (partner has 2+ of the suit and they have usually 6+ for a single-suited overcall, so I'm sure responder is short in the suit more than he is long) and to me it's a no brainer.

I have seen this play out at the table too. My experience with takeout doubles has been good and my experience with penalty doubles has not. Sometimes they would make, and sometimes responder would be 4144 or even 4234 or something, and have to guess to bid his four card major and pray or just pass. Also I can't remember your case 2 ever coming up either for or against me, it sounds ok in theory but I just don't see it happening. Honestly, penalty doubles here are one of the conventions I'm really glad to see my opponents playing against me.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users