• You cannot reply to this topic

BBF vs. JEC in general

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-August-09, 16:36

Hi guys,

so I was out of town the last two weeks and found it pretty stressful to try (and fail) to get a team. I'm going to be in China for the next three and a half weeks and don't intend to put up with it again, so unless someone steps up to coordinate the next few matches within the next 24 hours, I will cancel all the matches up to and including September 1st. Also, considering the general lack of interest, we should consider some changes after that. Either we could aim for a biweekly schedule instead of a weekly schedule, or I could start inviting people I know who do not post on the forums if forum posters don't express interest in time. Please discuss.

I haven't heard from anyone wanting to play this Saturday so I'll assume that can be cancelled too.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-09, 18:00

sunday was 100 times better than saturday for most of the people trying to play, i think thats the problem, but idk what can be done about it.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 05:20

I wasn't involved in that decision, and I don't know who these "most of the people" are. Maybe if they could all speak up and tell me that they would love to play on Sundays but can almost never play on Saturdays I could see whether there's anything I can do for the long term.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 06:36

I will admit to a loss of enthusiasm. It's a bit disspiriting to keep losing heavily to a team which I'd normally hope to beat, and I seem to play much worse online than I do in face-to-face bridge.

Also, I find that the matches are only really enjoyable if we're playing against JEC and his partner, but obviously we have to take our share playing against the other pair. If the opportunities are shared evenly, that means that for each match we get against good opposition we have to have another match against less good players.

I will probably play some more, but not as often as previously.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 07:13

I'm happy playing vs the non-JEC pair, unfortunately Simon doesn't really have internet access atm. Hopefully this will change at somepoint but there's no timeframe really. Saturdays > Sundays for me.

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 10:58

i have the willingness and availability to take over coordination of the team
events--If I do do it would be with the intention of trying to get posters to
possibly play with other posters. The purpose of these events IMO is to
be a strong learning experience. In case you havent noticed the forums
are read by a HUGE number of people. I assume they are reading to try
and learn. The more experience posters have the better they will contribute.

I personally have many non poster friends that can fill in if needed to make up
a team but I would prefer to do that as a last resort. There is little reason why
various posters cannot play well with others (unless they have diametrically
opposed views which happens sometimes).

If you want me to take over u can email info to me at georgeszeszycki@comcast.net
of leave me email on bbo gszeszycki (i only use gszes here).

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 12:46

View Postgszes, on 2012-August-10, 10:58, said:

If I do do it would be with the intention of trying to get posters to possibly play with other posters.

Seems to be a lost cause. :(
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 16:40

ok i admit i dont see a whole kit and kaboodle of people lining up to play this weekend and its fri
night. Even so, at least let me know whom you might contact in case of cancellation and i will
belatedly try now and put togehter a team of friends (UNLESS WE GET A SUDDEN SURGE OF
VOLUNTEERS HINT HINT))))) to play tomorrow afternoon. Let me know here if you wish.

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 20:50

View Postgszes, on 2012-August-10, 16:40, said:

ok i admit i dont see a whole kit and kaboodle of people lining up to play this weekend and its fri
night. Even so, at least let me know whom you might contact in case of cancellation and i will
belatedly try now and put togehter a team of friends (UNLESS WE GET A SUDDEN SURGE OF
VOLUNTEERS HINT HINT))))) to play tomorrow afternoon. Let me know here if you wish.

chasetb saie he wanted to play tomorrow and he didnt mind playing with anyone so he and i can be one
partnership are there any other volunteers out there tiem is running short

#10 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-August-11, 08:10

View Postgszes, on 2012-August-10, 20:50, said:

chasetb saie he wanted to play tomorrow and he didnt mind playing with anyone so he and i can be one
partnership are there any other volunteers out there tiem is running short

My partner (kristen33) and I can play, and I'll not be so timid this time :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-11, 09:23

ok now all we need is chasetb to promise to show up and we have a foursome we also need
mgoetze to notice this in time so he does not needlessly cancel the event everyone cross
your fingers.:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) i am going to show up around 30 min
early and if chasetb has not commited i will drag a friend into the fray (unless mgoetze wants
to play):)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

#12 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-August-11, 09:34

FANtastIC :)

2pm edt, 11am pdt right?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#13 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-18, 16:24

FWIW I'm still interested (I've played in 2 of the matches, and tried a 3rd but JEC was having computer problems). However scheduling on weekends is hard sometimes (Saturday is usually better than Sunday for me, and weekends are definitely better than week days, but still it isn't uncommon that I could only make 1 weekend a month).

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 16:53

What is this all about? Who is JEC?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 21:56

View PostVampyr, on 2012-August-21, 16:53, said:

What is this all about? Who is JEC?

JEC == Jimmy Cayne, a famous top bridge playing client who sponsors top teams in the US Nationals and also practices daily, most of the year, with pro teams on BBO. His BBO matches get lots of spectators and various folks play him as opponents (other pro teams, junior teams warming up for championships, other expert teams - and on Satruday's somewhat semi-regularly for the past many months, teams of folks from BBO Forums).

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 10:16

JEC is playing against Wales on September 15th and 29th, so we are only playing them twice this month (8th and 22nd). Then in October we can either resume weekly play or continue the biweekly rythm. I would like to invite further comments on this matter.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 10:38

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-September-05, 10:16, said:

JEC is playing against Wales on September 15th and 29th, so we are only playing them twice this month (8th and 22nd). Then in October we can either resume weekly play or continue the biweekly rythm. I would like to invite further comments on this matter.

I'm late to the party and not always able to reserve Saturday afternoon BBO time well in advance. But, I am going to try. And, I am surprised that there isn't a line of people waiting to play. The opportunity to play a match against good (great) players should be something that we're all looking for.

#18 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-September-05, 10:58

My partner & I would definitely be up for another game. Availability is always uncertain but we will look for dates that work.
(still learning)

#19 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-18, 04:49

My partner and I missed out on playing last time because jec had internet troubles but please put us down on the 'keen' list!
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#20 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-18, 06:31

What are the scheduled times atm? I am finished my thesis now, and am available pretty much all the time, although I live in the UK, so day times/evenings there are better than silly o clock in the morning :P

I can probably provide a partner, possibly even from the regular posters, depending who is available.

Also, I really struggle with time zones. I am currently living in GMT+1, (since its daylight saving time here), and I never understand when daylight saving is on or off in these discussions about time zones.

So pacific time is 8 hours behind GMT atm? and so seven hours behind UK time in the summer? Or does the US do daylight saving time aswell?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users