BBO Discussion Forums: Just some random bidding thoughts of mine... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just some random bidding thoughts of mine... Not an expert, help if you can.

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-August-13, 15:14

Hello,

Just putting this out there for feedback. I have been playing around with some 2-level openings to use at an average local club setting. Playing better minor at the one level, 15-17 NT. My main objective was to differentiate the weak 2 bids in a form of Multi. One concern of mine is if allowing opponents to double to show the suit is too much of a negative to use this approach. I am trying to keep the stronger NT bids out of the 1C opening to avoid bidding issues. The 11-14 major bids are just a thought. With interference, it will tend to cause a lot of issues when partner is too weak to get involved. Since I am playing in Sweden, most clubs that I play in do not add many restrictions to bidding systems. I will be thinking over better ways to play the bids and appreciate hearing what you think along with suggestions to possibly improve it.

Thanks a lot! :)

1: (3-5) 12-14 (B), (5+) 12+ (UB), or any STR 2 opening

2: 18-19 NT, 11-14 TP 6, 11-14 6(well supported), or STR/long
2: 20-21 NT, 11-14 TP 6, WEAK , 11-14 6(well supported) or STR/long
2: WEAK , 7-11ish 5/5 /+
2: 7-11ish 5/5 /+
2N: 7-11ish 5/5 in minors/majors

Edit: Adjusted 2C/2D minor bids to make it easier to know which minor partner will normally have with interference.
Edit: Removed the NT bids from the 2H/2S/2N openings. Thanks Free.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-August-14, 01:11

I don't get it. You play all your 2-level openings forcing, but they contain a natural preempt. Result imo will be that you'll end up too high way too often. Playing 7-11 instead of 6-10 or so won't make it that much safer.

Lets consider the openings:
- The weak version of the 2 opening is quite popular. Studies have shown that it's a slight plus when you open this one (playing at least 5-5!). Adding the 24-25 NT hand will probably ruin this opening, because you can't just pass 2 and play there.
- The weak version of the 2 opening is known as Tutti Frutti if I remember correctly. This is a brown sticker alternative to Wilkozs and weak two's. I've never played it, but I guess it's playable. The reason is that the hands can clearly be distinguished from responder's hand most of the time, and when NV and weak we can just pass. When opps Dbl, opener will show what he has. Adding a strong NT to that opening no longer gives us the opportunity to play 2 and we always have to find out what opener has.
- The 2m openings are a bit better to handle imo. When you have a minimum opener with 6+m, you'll usually have to compete to 3-level anyway to buy the contract. Oh btw, what do you mean with "11-14 TP"? Not sure why the strong version holds the other minor, I would prefer to keep them the same. If responder raises, opener is better placed. If opps intervene, opener should pass with the weak hand.
- The 2NT opening basically ruins all constructive bidding over a 26-27 NT hand. They are rare, but do you really want to ruin these slam potential hands like that? Also note that after a 2NT opening showing a weak hand with 5-5 in the Majors or the minors, responder can pass with a total misfit. I've done it before, even after a 4NT opening showing both minors, with success.

I don't understand the obsession with the extremely rare NT ranges. You can easily put them in 2, 2 and 1 apparently. And for some reason you stop at 26-27. What do you do with 28+? Open at 3-level?

The openings 2, 2 and 2NT are nice without the strong NT version. I would throw these away and put them elsewhere. You can't distinguish the strong hands from a weak versions, unless you have 16+HCP. And if you happen to have all the HCP together, it would look quite silly when the auction goes 2M-p-p-p because responder thinks that opener holds M.

You made me curious: what are your other openings?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-August-14, 07:24

Thanks for the post. You are absolutely right about the NT openings in the 2H/S openings. I will have to put them into the 1C opening or have only the 22-24 NT hands with 1 and 25+ another way.

I am also debating how to have the minors in the C/D suit, and which would be better/more playable. Also debating if they will cause more issues than they are worth. One gain from the 2 opening is that it allows 1-1x-2 show a STR 2 opening. The 2 opening preempts all suits when clubs, but when hearts, it only really preempts spades/NT. The same goes with the 2 opening. The weak bids allow for opponents to double to show a natural suit, but many at our club would not have an agreement about double being natural.

By TP I mean total points, typically counting overall strength of the hand (often excluding doubleton).
The main reason I am trying to keep the 11-14 majors is that they are slightly preemptive, descriptive, and leave more room to bid stronger hands with a long major. (1-xy-2) for us almost always shows a 6 card suit or 15-17 TP values.

Other openings are basically SAYC...

1: (3-5) 12-14 (B), (5+(4414) 12+ (UB), or any STR 2 opening
1: (3-5) 12-14 (B), (5+(4441) 12-19 (UB)
1: (5+) 12-19 (rarely 15+ balanced)
1: (5+) 12-19 (rarely 15+ balanced)
1N: 15-17

3-3: 6 card preempts are possible for all...
3N: Gambling
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users