• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1C-1H 8-11 any

#1 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-09, 03:38

Hi,

Up to now I have been playing a fairly natural strong club system. Now I want to try out 1C-1H as 8-11 any. The obvious problem is that you have s, the auction could get awkward.
Has any of you have some experience with this?

Anyway my idea is to play 1C-1N as 12+balanced or 12+ and exactly 5 hearts. After that it should be able to show the exact shape below 3NT via relays. Not sure if thats playable though since when they preempt opener cant really know what to do. Maybe it would be better to include only the 5332 hands with 5s in the 1NT response.

Another option is to switch 2C and 2H so that you can be better placed when you hold hearts.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-August-09, 07:08

You can relay 12+ hands, why do you want to lose a step to distinguish between 8-11 and 12+? Just play relays from 1H and figure out the strength later.

This seems to put the focus way too much on slam bidding. At first sight I'd prefer to play 1H as 12+ and the rest as 8-11, but only if I really had to. At least I would be able to quickly sign off once a fit has been established.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 20:06

A standardish structure is

1C...

1D = 0-7 any
1H = 8-11 any, not 5 spades
1S = 8+ with 5+S
1N = 12+ with 5+H
2m = 12+ with 5+m
2H = 12-13 balanced
2S = 12+, any 4441
2N = 14+ balanced

The 1C-1H auctions are pretty good, but as in any naturalish strong club structure, you are trading relay slam bidding (much more accurate than this system, though this system is a good deal better than standard) for more flexibility in your choice of games auctions as well as ease of memory and simplicity.

I have no strong feelings about the particular merits of this strong club system as opposed to some other system. I think that it is probably better to play something like 1C-2C is 12+ balanced game force with relays, but I have not worked out the details yet.

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 20:09

Yep, never really had problems with 1C 1N showing 12+ with hearts. That is a pretty good auction to start with lol. Can you expand on what you mean by the auction getting awkward when you have hearts?

1C 2H and 1C 2N as balanced hands can get awkward, but at least you have a tight range that has guaranteed a lot of HCP (so getting to 4N is not a big deal).

FWIW I personally play the reverse of clee, 2H=14+ bal, and 2N=12-13 bal. I know greco/hampson keep going back and forth on which is better, not sure what they currently play but both are reasonable.

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-August-10, 20:39

Is the goal of such a system is avoiding leaking information when there is no slam prospect or there is another reason for this ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-10, 21:36

View Postbenlessard, on 2012-August-10, 20:39, said:

Is the goal of such a system is avoiding leaking information when there is no slam prospect or there is another reason for this ?

yes

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-11, 00:40

Ok Roger and/or Justin, what do you guys use for 1 - 3 and higher ? On the Grue-Lall card (BB 2011), it lists 1 - 3 as a 1-suited hand with Hearts. Assuming that is correct, what kinds of criteria do you use for it?

On a related tangent, I want to switch my Precision partnership to 1 - 2 as 14+ balanced, but again after looking at the Grue-Lall card, it uses 1 - 2 ; 2NT as a 2-suited hand with Hearts. Extrapolating, I'm assuming that you use 1 - 2 ; 3 as a single-suited hand. Why can't I just put any hand with 5+ Hearts into 2NT, and use the 3 rebid as a hand with primary Clubs?

Anyone who has any experience with these responses can chime in, I'm just asking for Roger and Justin's advise because they posted above and I know they have tons of experience with this stuff. Thanks for any and all help!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-11, 16:13

View Postthe_clown, on 2012-August-09, 03:38, said:

Up to now I have been playing a fairly natural strong club system. Now I want to try out 1C-1H as 8-11 any. The obvious problem is that you have s, the auction could get awkward.
Has any of you have some experience with this?

Anyway my idea is to play 1C-1N as 12+balanced or 12+ and exactly 5 hearts. After that it should be able to show the exact shape below 3NT via relays.

I think a natural introduction to relay precision is to just do full relays on balanced hands. For example, an early system I learned was

1D 0-7
1H 5+ unbal
1S bal, including 5332s
1N 5+ unbal
2C 5+ unbal
2D 5+ unbal
2H ...

The point is that if you're willing to learn relays eventually, it's better to focus on that since with relays you don't need to separate the 8-11 vs 12+ strength early on. There's lots of space to do that later.

#9 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-August-12, 15:48

Agree Rogerclee outline.
Have found 1-1 usually leads to the 17-19 or 18-20 1NT auction with full NT structure (we do not play 3 over opener's 1NT response as puppet as we do NOT bit NT after 1 with 5 card majors). Opener's bids are otherwise natural. If you play alpha/suit ask (we don't) we recommend opener's 2 response be that a.
Have found bidding by past hand (1 = s and 1N = 8-11 balanced) often leads to memory error. Sigh. You should deecide whether to keep the 1 artificial game force on here.
This structure does avoid wrong-siding contracts somewhat(partner won't bid naturally unless they hold 12 HCP). You will rarely have the 8 HCP hand declaring.

As for 3-level partner and I play WJS hands 3-7 HCP with 7+ cards. Have not agreed to value of transfers because these bids occur so infrequently.

4-level bids are super positives (4441, one under shortness promising 4+ controls). Extremely infrequent.

Over 2 12-13 HCP we play 2N as Stayman (3=both majors, 3=, 3=, and 3=none/3N=none with 5-card minor).
Over 2N 14+ we play 3 italian transfer stayman 14-16 or 17+; 3 through 3N(=) are alpha/SAB. 4 is gerber (or beta if you prefer) and 4 is HCP ask in 1 point steps.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#10 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-13, 20:43

Exactly! Listing methods is *NOT ANALYSIS*!!
Give some reasoning.
Some why is this hand type handled better by
this method at what cost to what other hands
handled worse/different.

#11 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-August-13, 21:11

View Postdake50, on 2012-August-13, 20:43, said:

I see 2 additional benefits:
1) An immediate game force is established, leaving great room for strain and shape exploration, and
2) Declaring from the 8-11 side is drastically reduced, increasing the likelihood the stronger hand will declare.

There is a downside - We have lost MPs when RHO can double the artificial 1 call for a lead...
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#12 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-13, 22:05

I suspect that a lot (most?) of your positive responses will be 1 (8-11). As Rob suggested, it might be best to invest in a vanilla relay system and differentiate the strength later.

If you really want to play this structure, I suspect that you might get more mileage out it by inverting the meanings, i.e.:

1 = 12+ any
1S=8-11 bal OR
1N=8-11 with
2 = 8-11 with
2 = 8-11 with .

Over the ambiguous 1, 1N asks and then 2 is , with the remaining Stayman type responses.

This should right side contracts most of the times opposite a 8-11 hand...
foobar on BBO

#13 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 02:11

Thank you for all responses

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-August-14, 09:31

If your goal is mostly concealing information why not use a transfers method than ?

Im playing weak or GF transfers and I find that

1- Its simpler
2- you rightside more often
3- You can bid with weak hand so you are ahead in comp bidding.
4- you can stop in 1M wich is often better than 1NT.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#15 User is offline   SteelWheel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 23:51

Take a look at Barry Rigal's book on Precision sometime. He had a response scheme which also sought to avoid having the weaker hand declare. Off the top of my head, it went something like this, after a 1 opening:

1=0-7
1=8-13 balanced
1=5+ s, game force
1NT=5+ , game force
2=5+ , game force

Theory was that you've already right-sided all club contracts by the 1 open, so now you get to right-side all strains except for spade contracts, and the part-score diamond contracts (which is kind of a who-cares situation).

I believe that opener's "accepting the transfer" could be used either as natural, or natural-ish with implied Beta acceptance for the relay-minded people.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users