BBO Discussion Forums: Keyboard bidding/plays with new BBO - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Keyboard bidding/plays with new BBO

#1 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-July-26, 19:56

The cursor always moves down to the chat bar, so you can't really use the keyboard for bidding and play. Disabling chat does not work - the cursor just moves to the now-invisible chat bar. Am I missing something obvious maybe?
Somehow old BBO manages to perfectly balance chat and keyboard bidding/play - I don't know how it does it, but whenever I want to chat, the keyboard chats, and whenever I was to bid or play, the keyboard bids or plays. I never need to think about it. Can part of this perfection possibly get moved over to new BBO as well?
I Transfers

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-27, 16:06

I don't normally use keyboard entry, except when I'm operating Vugraph. But I just tried it and it seems to work as intended.

As long as what you type is a valid bid or play, it's taken as that. But if you type something that doesn't fit the context, it will be treated as the start of chat, and you'll be put in the chat line, and you're stuck there until you complete your chat. You can press TAB to get out, and then start entering bids or plays as appropriate.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-July-27, 16:11

One thing to remember is that it's important to get the order of things right. When you're bidding, you have to type the level followed by the suit. When playing, it's suit followed by pip value, except that when following suit you can type just the pip. If you get it wrong, your entry will be treated as chat.

#4 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-July-30, 00:18

barmar, on 2012-July-27, 16:06, said:

I don't normally use keyboard entry, except when I'm operating Vugraph. But I just tried it and it seems to work as intended.

As long as what you type is a valid bid or play, it's taken as that. But if you type something that doesn't fit the context, it will be treated as the start of chat, and you'll be put in the chat line, and you're stuck there until you complete your chat. You can press TAB to get out, and then start entering bids or plays as appropriate.

No matter what I type (and I am typing correctly - on the old BBO I never use the mouse if I don't have to), it goes in the chat bar. Clicking on the main window or pressing TAB rarely works, the cursor moves back to the chat bar 1 millisecond - 1 second later. I can take some video footage if that helps.
I Transfers

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-July-30, 15:01

Quantumcat, on 2012-July-30, 00:18, said:

No matter what I type (and I am typing correctly - on the old BBO I never use the mouse if I don't have to), it goes in the chat bar. Clicking on the main window or pressing TAB rarely works, the cursor moves back to the chat bar 1 millisecond - 1 second later. I can take some video footage if that helps.

Are you sure you have the option for keyboard entry of bidding and play enabled?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users