BBO Discussion Forums: Teaching Laws at the Club - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Teaching Laws at the Club (not at the table)

#21 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-26, 19:45

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-26, 19:38, said:

4 bucks? For ACBL sanctioned games? That can't include coffee and dare I say, hand records?

We don't have the Hand generating stuff. We shuffle. Lots of coffee, people bring munchies; we occasionally supply pizza for all, give free sessions to everyone. Rent is per-table and cheap. We add a dollar for NAPS and STACS, even though the additional expense is more than a dollar per person.

At the end of the year, for this once a week game, there is about 3K left over for the party. We have a web site, too for results, announcements, etc.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-26, 21:54

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-April-26, 19:45, said:

We don't have the Hand generating stuff. We shuffle. Lots of coffee, people bring munchies; we occasionally supply pizza for all, give free sessions to everyone. Rent is per-table and cheap. We add a dollar for NAPS and STACS, even though the additional expense is more than a dollar per person.

At the end of the year, for this once a week game, there is about 3K left over for the party. We have a web site, too for results, announcements, etc.

That's amazing. At our once-a-week game we do have Bridgemates and hand records, but those are already paid for. Card fees are 5GBP for members and we use playing directors. Rent is our biggest expense.

Though we may be the only club in London who provide free tea and coffee (instant :( )*

*For Americans: Instant coffee is a sort of brown powder that you mix with hot water; this produces something vaguely like coffee.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-26, 22:44

We do have Bridgepads, the coffee is real and made by an expert (me). Churches in the community (not LDS) are more than willing to accomodate with nominal rent. Liability insurance is only about 150 a year. The game owns its own tables, laptop, etc.

It would cost about 4K to purchase the hand-generating system and the new boards for the machine to spit the cards into. That's one and a third annual bashes.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 22:48

Coffee is best taken with a good shot of Jameson's. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-02, 09:29

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-26, 21:54, said:

*For Americans: Instant coffee is a sort of brown powder that you mix with hot water; this produces something vaguely like coffee.

In a hotel that I shall be playing in a team with Steffie they have tea and coffee which you pay for. Allegedly. The tea tastes like weak coffee, and the coffee tastes like ..... :(
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#26 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-02, 13:42

View Postbluejak, on 2012-May-02, 09:29, said:

In a hotel that I shall be playing in a team with Steffie they have tea and coffee which you pay for. Allegedly. The tea tastes like weak coffee, and the coffee tastes like ..... :(

Cham....................................................POO

#27 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-02, 14:27

View Postbluejak, on 2012-May-02, 09:29, said:

shy tea?
<g, d, & r vvf>
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users