• You cannot reply to this topic

Instructive hand

#1 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-March-24, 02:51

Recently I encountered the following hand, it's quite instructive for intermediates imo:

Suppose RHO preempted heavily in and South ended up playing 5. LHO leads Q. How do you plan the play?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 04:36

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do here. Win the A, draw trumps, and play A. What happens now? How many hearts did RHO start with and what does he play on the ?

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2012-March-24, 12:50

View PostAntrax, on 2012-March-24, 04:36, said:

Win the A, draw trumps, and play A. What happens now? ~snip~ and what does he play on the ?

Both opps follow.
Spoiler

View PostAntrax, on 2012-March-24, 04:36, said:

How many hearts did RHO start with

Actually, that's irrelevant.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 14:09

If diamonds break and RHO has KJTxxx(x) of spades and a singleton club, I can make this if I can throw him in with a spade after stripping hearts, diamonds and clubs from his hand whence he must give me a ruff and sluff.

SA, draw trump, cash diamonds, CA, S9.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 15:46

if lho has 4d I will try :
AS
PULL TRUMP
4 ROUNDS OF D.
HOPE LHO IS OUT OF SPADES AND HAS TO WIN SECOND CLUB.

#6 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-24, 17:02

Spoiler

I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-March-24, 17:44

View Postkayin801, on 2012-March-24, 17:02, said:

Spoiler

good hand.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-March-24, 18:51

Come on folks. I just looked at this thread and I don't see the right answer yet.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-24, 21:09

Seems to me RHO has KJT 8th, only that makes sense for a very heavy preempt when someone missing the A and Q of his suit.

I clear trumps, cash 2 and see 4-1 (assuming LHO has 4)

Play A and another ;

-If LHO takes this and exits with , then i play and endplay RHO for ruff and sluff

-If RHO takes , he can cash a and endplayed again for ruff and sluff.

Are we supposed to hide our answers ? I didnt see OP asking us to hide, or am i missing something ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-March-24, 21:56

This seems like an acceptable answer, but I would only have cashed one diamond. Either way, it works.

#11 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 23:18

That's what I had in mind. How come seeing how many hearts each started with and what diamond RHO has to see what endplay(s) have play is irrelevant?

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-March-25, 00:26

There is a reason to cash 2 tricks after drawing trump.

The hand always makes if s are 3-2. The problem is when s are 4-1.

So cashing the second honor tells you who that is. The vast majority of the time it will be the preemptor's partner.
But there is a small but certain percentage of the time that the preemptor will hold the 4 s.

It's important because that can affect the order of card play to execute the throw in.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-25, 03:14

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-24, 21:09, said:

Seems to me RHO has KJT 8th, only that makes sense for a very heavy preempt when someone missing the A and Q of his suit.

It doesn't matter how many spades he has, as long as he has KJ10.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-25, 04:03

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-25, 03:14, said:

It doesn't matter how many spades he has, as long as he has KJ10.

I didnt say it matters, although it sounds like that, when i read my post.

View PostArtK78, on 2012-March-24, 21:56, said:

This seems like an acceptable answer, but I would only have cashed one diamond. Either way, it works.

You HAVE to cash 2 for 2 reasons

- It doesnt hurt

- Preemptor may hold KJTxxxx x JT9x K and you go down by cashing only 1 and not knowing who has 4 ;)

If you see preemptor with 4, your only chance is to also find him with only one club. You clear trumps, cash 2 see he has 4, then cash A and give him 4th forcing him to play ruff and sluff after he cashes his winner.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-March-25, 08:46

I have to admit, I did not consider the possibility that the spade hand had 4 diamonds. In that case, you are right, you have to eliminate the spade suit first before throwing in LHO with A and another club. So cashing 2 diamonds is required to figure out the order of play of the black suits.

Since you did not provide us with the break in the heart suit, there is a chance that there is no successful throw-in. RHO could have:

KJTxxxx
---
JT98
Kx

If that is the case, you cannot throw in the hand with the diamond shortness.

Odds are that RHO is short in diamonds (if anyone is) so cashing one diamond will be sufficient, but it is true that cashing 2 diamonds is better on this hand.

This problem has often been presented with declarer's side holding stronger diamonds, so that the opponents cannot lead the diamond suit back. For example, suppose the opps diamonds were JT8xx combined. Now you can cash one diamond and throw the opps in, since if they have to lead diamonds back they will give up their diamond trick.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-25, 11:29

View PostArtK78, on 2012-March-25, 08:46, said:

I have to admit, I did not consider the possibility that the spade hand had 4 diamonds. In that case, you are right, you have to eliminate the spade suit first before throwing in LHO with A and another club. So cashing 2 diamonds is required to figure out the order of play of the black suits.

Since you did not provide us with the break in the heart suit, there is a chance that there is no successful throw-in. RHO could have:

KJTxxxx
---
JT98
Kx

If that is the case, you cannot throw in the hand with the diamond shortness.

Odds are that RHO is short in diamonds (if anyone is) so cashing one diamond will be sufficient, but it is true that cashing 2 diamonds is better on this hand.

This problem has often been presented with declarer's side holding stronger diamonds, so that the opponents cannot lead the diamond suit back. For example, suppose the opps diamonds were JT8xx combined. Now you can cash one diamond and throw the opps in, since if they have to lead diamonds back they will give up their diamond trick.

Yes, Kayin said there is a % 100 line after seeing 4-1 , i am still trying to find one but i cant. I assume he meant "if LHO has 4"

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-March-25, 11:45

100%? if LHO has QJ there is no line that succeeds.

#18 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2012-March-25, 12:50

The obvious start is to draw trumps first, we have enough of them anyway. It doesn't really matter if they are 3-0 or 2-1 (either way), because you either need a 3-2 break in or something "exotic".

There's no problem with playing 2 rounds of to check them. When they break 3-2 the hand is over. On the hand in question LHO has 4 of them and RHO has singleton, which makes the hand interesting (imo). Same applies if they split 5-0 btw.

When don't split 3-2, you need to get rid of one, and because of mirror distributions the only means is a ruff and sluff. Therefore you'll need to eliminate all suits and endplay RHO, so he'll have to play a (or ). The only suit that gives us a reasonable chance to endplay RHO is , so we'll have to exit with s first and hope RHO has KJT. It doesn't matter if he has 5, 6, 7 or 8 of them, he just needs KJT (the only cards higher than our 9), a reasonable assumption.

So, after drawing trumps and playing 2 rounds of , you have to play A and x. It doesn't matter if LHO wins this trick, we still have one control in the suit. If LHO returns a , we win and play 9 hoping that RHO has to win this trick. If LHO leads himself, again, we just hope RHO has to win the trick. When RHO wins his trick, all he has left are s and s, while we don't have any of these anymore. B-)

Note that playing a 3rd round of is a huge error, because you still have to lose a before the endplay. It's also a mistake to play a small first (instead of the Ace). That would give opps the opportunity to win, play 1 round of s and exit a (destroying the endplay).

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-25, 13:34

View PostFree, on 2012-March-25, 12:50, said:

There's no problem with playing 2 rounds of to check them. When they break 3-2 the hand is over. On the hand in question LHO has 4 of them and RHO has singleton, which makes the hand interesting (imo). Same applies if they split 5-0 btw.

I assume you didnt read the replies to your own post.

"There's no problem with cashing 2 rounds of " is understatement. It is mandatory to cash 2 for several reasons.

- As you said it doesnt hurt.

- You can try to make 12 tricks if you see 3-2 break.

- You go down while there is a legit play, if you cash only 1 round , when RHO has 4 of them instead of LHO.

#20 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-25, 13:34

View PostFree, on 2012-March-24, 02:51, said:

Recently I encountered the following hand, it's quite instructive for intermediates imo:

Suppose RHO preempted heavily in and South ended up playing 5. LHO leads Q. How do you plan the play?

Easy. Draw trumps, cash 1 round of diamonds ONLY (hoping for a 3-2 split, if so the contract is simple, but we shouldn't cash 2 rounds yet). Next cash A and exit with a low club.

If RHO wins and he returns a diamond, you are golden unless he started with 4 of them. Very unlikely. So assume LHO wins and returns a diamond.

Now you exit with a spade. If RHO started with 1 diamond and wins the 2nd spade he is endplayed.

Assuming the defenders are weak, you might want to cash 4 rounds of trumps before all this. This allows an ill-advised discard of a diamond with a holder of 4, or a spade by LHO.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users