• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Instructive hand

#21 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-25, 13:38

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-25, 13:34, said:

- You go down while there is a legit play, if you cash only 1 round , when RHO has 4 of them instead of LHO.

Wait, really? Are you going to play RHO for 11 or 12 pointed suit cards?
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-25, 13:47

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 13:38, said:

Wait, really? Are you going to play RHO for 11 or 12 pointed suit cards?

He made a heavy preempt in , and his pd didnt follow 2nd , what do you think RHO has unless his pd revoked ? And what other chances do you have in order to make your contract except than endplaying RHO ?

If preemptor has 4, there is no way you can get rid of loser, but you can get rid of loser.

Unless of course you show me where cashing 2nd loses, i don't even understand why some of you insisted on cashing only 1. Am i missing something ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 13:48

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-25, 11:29, said:

Yes, Kayin said there is a % 100 line after seeing 4-1 , i am still trying to find one but i cant. I assume he meant "if LHO has 4"

Yeah sorry I meant when LHO had 4, obviously RHO can have 4, though if he does, you're still in decent shape, especially if RHO followed to a trump since odds are they have only 1 club. Now you can play your second spade first, guarding against a 7-2 break with fluffy's QJ or Q10 tight, and still come home when LHO has to win the 2nd club and can only return the suit.

I'm not sure I have a line to make the contract when the preemptor has K10xxxxx, -, J1098, Kx
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 14:10

View Postkayin801, on 2012-March-25, 13:48, said:

Yeah sorry I meant when LHO had 4, obviously RHO can have 4, though if he does, you're still in decent shape, especially if RHO followed to a trump since odds are they have only 1 club. Now you can play your second spade first, guarding against a 7-2 break with fluffy's QJ or Q10 tight, and still come home when LHO has to win the 2nd club and can only return the suit.

I'm not sure I have a line to make the contract when the preemptor has K10xxxxx, -, J1098, Kx

When preemptor has 4, it doesnt matter which way you play, as long as he has only 1.

I would play A and , if LHO takes this he can cash a and plays ruff n sluff. If RHO takes this he can exit with but i give it right back to him with 4th and plays ruff and sluff. No way to make as you said when preemptor has 4+2 regardless of what he has in
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 15:12

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-25, 13:47, said:

He made a heavy preempt in , and his pd didnt follow 2nd , what do you think RHO has unless his pd revoked ? And what other chances do you have in order to make your contract except than endplaying RHO ?

If preemptor has 4, there is no way you can get rid of loser, but you can get rid of loser.

Unless of course you show me where cashing 2nd loses, i don't even understand why some of you insisted on cashing only 1. Am i missing something ?

OK we're saying the same thing actually. (Well, almost.) Only cashing 1 diamond allows for the possibility of a misdefense in addition to legitimate plays. In my mind, a misdefense is far more likely than 4-1 in the minors AND specifically KJT with RHO.

That said, some precise definition of "heavy preempt" is in order. I assume it means 3 or 4, and 7 vs. 8 spades with RHO makes a huge difference.

Also, double dummy, there is a way to make 5 with the hand I described above while combining other chances. It is to cash one high diamond, exit with a SPADE, win the diamond, cash A, and exit with 4th diamond.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#26 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 15:17

View PostFree, on 2012-March-24, 12:50, said:

Actually, that's irrelevant.

How is it ever irrelevant to know how many trumps a defender started with when attempting to count a hand and deciding among elimination and throw-in plays?

#27 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-March-28, 13:47

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 15:17, said:

How is it ever irrelevant to know how many trumps a defender started with when attempting to count a hand and deciding among elimination and throw-in plays?

Because you need to endplay RHO in when he's out of s. If split 3-2 it doesn't matter, if they split 4-1 or 5-0 you need LHO to have the long s. You can count as much as you want, but that won't change a thing. ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#28 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 14:01

View PostFree, on 2012-March-28, 13:47, said:

Because you need to endplay RHO in when he's out of s. If split 3-2 it doesn't matter, if they split 4-1 or 5-0 you need LHO to have the long s. You can count as much as you want, but that won't change a thing. ;)

Not if the trumps suggest that RHO might have the long diamonds and a singleton in clubs and hearts (see above discussion with MrAce).

#29 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 15:09

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 13:34, said:

Easy. Draw trumps, cash 1 round of diamonds ONLY (hoping for a 3-2 split, if so the contract is simple, but we shouldn't cash 2 rounds yet). Next cash A and exit with a low club.

If RHO wins and he returns a diamond, you are golden unless he started with 4 of them. Very unlikely. So assume LHO wins and returns a diamond.

Now you exit with a spade. If RHO started with 1 diamond and wins the 2nd spade he is endplayed.

Assuming the defenders are weak, you might want to cash 4 rounds of trumps before all this. This allows an ill-advised discard of a diamond with a holder of 4, or a spade by LHO.

Gives up an easy over if rho has singleton club.

Draw trumps cashing two diamonds seems obvious start. If rho has 4 diamonds have to hope he has a singleton club, say 7411, play spade now, win the return cash diamond ace and club ace and throw in with diamond.

Kayins line is 100% if rho has 8 spades, as now he must have singleton club if he has 4 diamonds. His line is also 100% if rho has 7 spades and at least one heart.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users