BBO Discussion Forums: Appeals, does you club have them - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Appeals, does you club have them

Poll: Does your clubs allow for appeals (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Does your clubs allow for appeals

1. YES (19 votes [55.88%])

Percentage of vote: 55.88%

2. NO (15 votes [44.12%])

Percentage of vote: 44.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   BrianEDuran 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-November-02, 10:23

Hi all

Just a curiosity question. Does your local club allow for appeals? Please vote for each club you attent.

Edit: I can only seem to vote for one club, don't know why...

Thanks
Brian

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-November-02, 10:46

BrianEDuran, on Nov 2 2004, 12:23 PM, said:

Hi all

Just a curiosity question. Does your local club allow for appeals? Please vote for each club you attent.

Edit: I can only seem to vote for one club, don't know why...

Thanks
Brian

Each person can only vote once in any poll... if you wanted to allow muliple voites, you could have worded teh answers something like..

One club - yes
One club - no
Two club - both no
Two clubs - both yes
Two clubs - one yes, one no,

Etc...

There is a limit of 20 options for answers for any poll.

ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-November-02, 11:22

no... we have a small club and the td in charge makes rulings as they arise... i doubt there are enough qualified individuals to form an appeals committe in any case
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-02, 11:59

Our unit has an ethics committee, but no AC. Even regionals around here only have a standing AC that only meets if necessary.
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-03, 13:37

Our club has had two appeals over the last 12 months.

We follow national guidelines, requiring a deposit (I think it's £20) which is returned as long as the AC deems the appeal has merit.

We are lucky that the club has a significant number of experienced players and directors who have served on county and national ACs.

paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-03, 14:40

No.

And thank goodness.

Peter

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-November-03, 14:55

The MIT Bridge Club has an appeals committee. It doesn't get used that often, but it is there if necessary.

I don't understand the antipathy towards appeals commmittees expressed by some posters. It seems silly to trust a random director more than an appeals committee. I readily admit that some committees have been badly flawed (How the $^#*&#@ does Wolff ever get selected for these), however, this is why well run appeals committes pushlish their findings and subject their decisions to peer review...

http://home.worldcom...b/appealse.html contains several examples of peer reviews
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-November-03, 15:54

Two clubs, 2 appeals committees. These are absolutely essential, and a competent director will frequently make a ruling and advise you to appeal it.

(I agree with richard here, why "thank goodness", Peter?)
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   Gerben47 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-November-03, 16:19

Yes, thank goodness.

Directors make mistakes, alas appeal committee is needed. Naturally in a club this is not used very often as the atmosphere is more relaxed.

This is especially important if you have club tournaments that have some kind of prize, monetary or otherwise.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!

#10 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-03, 16:32

Ron writes:
"(I agree with richard here, why "thank goodness", Peter?)"

Club games, as least the ones I go to, are more relaxed, less competitive, and consequently have less bad behavior than the tournaments I've gone to. I like this, though I like going to tournaments once in a while, too. A different experience.

Leave appeals for tournaments, where they belong. Treating club games as if they were tournaments would degrade behavior, which is in some cases bad enough. In theory, this wouldn't happen. In practice, it would, at least at my club. It would encourage the jerks, which would then have a ripple effect. The small increase in "bridge justice" wouldn't be worth it.

I see this issue as comparable to that of ratings on BBO. In theory, how could it hurt? In practice...

On a more general note, I took up bridge about two years ago, and love it, but some of the behavior is appalling. The lack of sportsmanship in a game played by adults for no money is remarkable, worse than anything I experienced playing sports in school. Too bad.

A lot of experienced bridge players who behave well themselves have apparently developed callouses with regard to bad behavior by others, and that's fine for them.

But this behavior drives beginners away from club bridge in droves.

I expected people to disagree with my post. I hope I've made the reasons for my position clear.

Peter

#11 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-03, 16:41

Only if you will insist and if its a good tournament usually those who have some money in them, but not in an afternoon tournament when ppl just come to relax.

#12 User is offline   Stars 

• PipPip

Posted 2004-November-06, 07:48

Hi all,

Not for me...
Best regards, Juan Carlos de Sãjous,
The BBO Stars private club manager...

#13 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-06, 09:19

Peter,

Since I can remember (and it's been a while ;) ) I've never been in a club where there were no appeals committees. Granted, those were ad hoc as the most tables we'd ever get is 25, but let me tell you, that committee was made up of the top players who today are at the top of their profession and who are very fair.

The appeals committees are not there to reprimand jerks. They're there to ensure fairness. I don't understand why you'd say "thank goodness". The appeals committees deal with bidding and play, not behavior. Once you distinguish the two, the light will shine again :D

Jola

#14 User is offline   Abadaba 

• PipPip

Posted 2004-November-06, 09:51

Abalucy provides a playing manager and TD for every tourney. If a Td makes a ruling the player does not agree with - they can immediately ask for a review by the Tourney Manager. Usually the TD will have already asked the TM to review because of a dispute. These are solved on the spot.

After the tourney if the Member disagrees with the outcome - they are encouraged to write an email to the Club and it goes through review of our Advisors. Takes a little extra work and commitment but hopefully keeps us all comfy.

(btw) when all else fails - we have a TD is always right philosophy. Standing by your valued TD's works well for us.
Abadaba - doooooooooooo - cept when she don't

#15 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-06, 11:05

doofik writes:
"The appeals committees are not there to reprimand jerks. They're there to ensure fairness. I don't understand why you'd say "thank goodness". The appeals committees deal with bidding and play, not behavior. Once you distinguish the two, the light will shine again"

More than a bit condescending, don't you think?

You apparently didn't read my post carefully. I understand the function of appeals committees, and I am not concerned about their competence or fairness. My point was that their very presence would encourage poorly behaving, overcompetitive players to become more so, if they knew the director's word wasn't final, as I said:

"In theory, this wouldn't happen. In practice, it would, at least at my club. It would encourage the jerks, which would then have a ripple effect. The small increase in "bridge justice" wouldn't be worth it."

If I get a bad ruling once in a while in a friendly club game, I could care less. I play in club games to relax and have fun. Not all players have this attitude, and this makes some of them unpleasant to play against (or to listen to at the next table). I don't want ANYTHING done which would increase this. That's why I say "thank goodness".

Peter

#16 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-06, 11:42

Peter,

I'd be curious to find out if the existence of appeal committees indeed increases the 'jerk' behavior.

Jola

#17 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-06, 12:54

"Peter,

I'd be curious to find out if the existence of appeal committees indeed increases the 'jerk' behavior."

Well, I don't think you can run a simulation :blink:

But perform this mental exercise: would 'jerk' behavior go down if clubs stopped awarding masterpoints?

Peter

#18 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-06, 17:51

Peter,

Are there less jerks on BBO just because there is no rating of players?

Jola

#19 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-06, 18:14

"Are there less jerks on BBO just because there is no rating of players?"

I doubt it, but if there were ratings, many jerks would act worse than they do now, having "more to lose".

A basic law of human behavior I have observed: the higher the stakes, the worse some people act. Perhaps your experience is different?

Peter

#20 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-07, 09:14

"A basic law of human behavior I have observed: the higher the stakes, the worse some people act. Perhaps your experience is different?"

Obviously my experience has been different or else we would not be having this discussion :)

Jola

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users