• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How would you bid these?

#21 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-18, 18:26

Interesting that ken sets trumps as spades and andy sets trumps as diamonds. Perhaps that suggests we should go slower and hold off on setting trumps? I like 1S 2D 2S 3D as a start. I guess it would then go 3N 4D 4H 4S 4N (keycard for diamonds) etc.

#22 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-18, 19:24

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-18, 18:26, said:

Interesting that ken sets trumps as spades and andy sets trumps as diamonds. Perhaps that suggests we should go slower and hold off on setting trumps? I like 1S 2D 2S 3D as a start. I guess it would then go 3N 4D 4H 4S 4N (keycard for diamonds) etc.

As opener, would you not be concerned that responder might pass 3NT when 6 or 6 is odds on? (Not on this hand, per se, but given your initial sequence in general?)
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#23 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-18, 19:30

View PostS2000magic, on 2012-February-18, 19:24, said:

As opener, would you not be concerned that responder might pass 3NT when 6 or 6 is odds on? (Not on this hand, per se, but given your initial sequence in general?)

I wouldn't be concerned about 6S, but yeah I'd be concerned about missing 6D since I have a max 3N bid. Still, sometimes you're dealt a max. My spade holding is not good if partner is stiff, and I only have 1 diamond and 15 points.

#24 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-18, 22:49

It would be nice if you gave a little more detail Ben so we can all follow your auction.
Yes sorry the link to my systme keep changing and I dont know how exactly bridge.downagain work to avoid this. But the sure link is going via http://bridge.downag...e/FD/public.php and you can see all my system and fairly precise meaning of the bids.

2C is D transfer single suiter Weak or GF, with all inv (semi pos) we bid 1D. 2D is 15-20. 3C show a club void (guaranteeing 7D). 4C is rkc in S (we dont show void over voids) so if opener has a void in D we have no way to show it (but its almost impossible you going to have slam without D tricks so in this precise case its irrelevent). For the 9310 argument, Hands with a stiff and a void where the opponent pass all the way are so rare that they are also irrelevant. So we assume that when we show a void/singleton we have at least 2 in the other suits. Also opener would bid 2M rather than 2D with a good 6M (void in D) or with a great 6M and a stiff D.

In the rare case where we have 2 singletons for example 1183 we show the cheapest stiff and when partner keycard in the other stiff we lie with the number of keycard (-1) and pull the signoff (while still showing some slam interest or not). Its far from perfect but its a reasonable solution for hands that happen once a year.

Its also possible to pull a signoff if you have a solid suit. 6331 you show 6S and stiff clubs partner keyc in H and soff in 4H, 4S is showing solid spades so it might allow you to avoid slow H loser if you can discard the 3rd H on club or on a 4th diamond.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-20, 06:42

View Postbenlessard, on 2012-February-18, 22:49, said:

Yes sorry the link to my systme keep changing and I dont know how exactly bridge.downagain work to avoid this. But the sure link is going via http://bridge.downag...e/FD/public.php and you can see all my system and fairly precise meaning of the bids.

2C is D transfer single suiter Weak or GF, with all inv (semi pos) we bid 1D. 2D is 15-20. 3C show a club void (guaranteeing 7D). 4C is rkc in S (we dont show void over voids) so if opener has a void in D we have no way to show it (but its almost impossible you going to have slam without D tricks so in this precise case its irrelevent). For the 9310 argument, Hands with a stiff and a void where the opponent pass all the way are so rare that they are also irrelevant. So we assume that when we show a void/singleton we have at least 2 in the other suits. Also opener would bid 2M rather than 2D with a good 6M (void in D) or with a great 6M and a stiff D.

In the rare case where we have 2 singletons for example 1183 we show the cheapest stiff and when partner keycard in the other stiff we lie with the number of keycard (-1) and pull the signoff (while still showing some slam interest or not). Its far from perfect but its a reasonable solution for hands that happen once a year.

Its also possible to pull a signoff if you have a solid suit. 6331 you show 6S and stiff clubs partner keyc in H and soff in 4H, 4S is showing solid spades so it might allow you to avoid slow H loser if you can discard the 3rd H on club or on a 4th diamond.

No offence but I am unwilling to read the whole system file every time just for a specific sequence. Just this once though, let me see if I have it right:-

1C = 15+ bal, or 15-17 with 5+M, or 16+ with clubs, or 23+ with a major, or 24+ with diamonds
... - 2C = 6+ diamonds, no other 4 card suit, weak or GF
2D = 15-20, any except 6+M and diamond shortage
... - 3D = GF with a club void (other voids possible but rare)
4C = RKCB agreeing spades
... - 5C = 2 key cards with Q and K, no K
5D = Q?
... - 5S = yes, Q but no Q
5NT = what else?
... - 6D = 2 spades and either 8 diamonds or AKQxxxx [the latter was already shown, no?]
7NT

Cool link by the way. I did not realise ordinary players could make their FD CCs public. I wonder if it has the same size limit as on BBO or whether you can upload a full file.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users