Lead & on 2 parts defense

#1 User is offline   Valardent 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-19, 04:57

IMPS

Lead?

IMPS

Suppose you lead Q playing reverse attitude (K would be the power lead).

It goes Q,2,6,4.

What now?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-19, 09:55

If declarer's 1 NT denied 4 card major;

Pd's 6 is interesting. If declarer holds Axx that makes pd played 6 from JT96 which doesnt make sense since he has an easy signal of J and from J96x he would play the smallest, thus pd probably played 6 from T96x and declarer has AJx. Then we need to shift. We cant defeat this by only suit anyway if pd doesnt have A, seems like 3+1 at most, if we have 2 winners then we can still play later.

What am i going to shift now ? Pd seems to have 6412 6421 with bad spades (due to lack of overcall) xxxxxx ?xxx ? ?x. If he doesnt have A the he has A + Hx and we have time to set suit later. If he has A then we dont have to worry we cash them anytime we want. I would just exit with safe

EDIT: I would also lead K or Q whichever is my method
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Valardent 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 11:05

I didn't ask at the table, but if I had, the answer is declarer can hv one or both majors

Makes a lot of difference, sry didn't think of it.

MrAce, on 2012-February-19, 09:55, said:

If declarer's 1 NT denied 4 card major;

Pd's 6 is interesting. If declarer holds Axx that makes pd played 6 from JT96 which doesnt make sense since he has an easy signal of J and from J96x he would play the smallest, thus pd probably played 6 from T96x and declarer has AJx. Then we need to shift. We cant defeat this by only suit anyway if pd doesnt have A, seems like 3+1 at most, if we have 2 winners then we can still play later.

What am i going to shift now ? Pd seems to have 6412 6421 with bad spades (due to lack of overcall) xxxxxx ?xxx ? ?x. If he doesnt have A the he has A + Hx and we have time to set suit later. If he has A then we dont have to worry we cash them anytime we want. I would just exit with safe

EDIT: I would also lead K or Q whichever is my method

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-19, 11:15

Valardent, on 2012-February-19, 11:05, said:

I didn't ask at the table, but if I had, the answer is declarer can hv one or both majors

Makes a lot of difference, sry didn't thought of it.

Ok ty for the update, i would still not continue though. For the reasons i already stated, if we are cashing 4 tricks + 1 we can do that anytime. If declarer has the A of we need a side trick anyway to defeat. If declarer has AJx(x) we obviously dont wanna continue .

Declarer is at most 14 hcp that leaves at least 7 hcp to pd who is known to also hold at least 5 . As i said i dont know your overcall style but in most cases i would expect pd to overcall and lack of overcall telling me declarer has strong holding which actually reduces his chance of making 3NT without a help from us.

AKx
A?xx
xx
Kxxx for example. I would lose nothing by not to continue regardless of declarer has Axx(x) or AJx(x)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Valardent 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 16:48

MrAce, on 2012-February-19, 11:15, said:

Ok ty for the update, i would still not continue though. For the reasons i already stated, if we are cashing 4 tricks + 1 we can do that anytime. If declarer has the A of we need a side trick anyway to defeat. If declarer has AJx(x) we obviously dont wanna continue .

Declarer is at most 14 hcp that leaves at least 7 hcp to pd who is known to also hold at least 5 . As i said i dont know your overcall style but in most cases i would expect pd to overcall and lack of overcall telling me declarer has strong holding which actually reduces his chance of making 3NT without a help from us.

AKx
A?xx
xx
Kxxx for example. I would lose nothing by not to continue regardless of declarer has Axx(x) or AJx(x)

Not very far and wd for the thinking, declarer had :

AKxx AJ4 xxx Q10x

p's : 10963

the 10 is easier to read but could cost if one switches 4 & 7.

I made the mistake of playing back a x. Pitty cos it was the right lead, x lead gives it away.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-19, 16:53

Valardent, on 2012-February-19, 16:48, said:

Not very far and wd for the thinking, declarer had :

AKxx AJ4 xxx Q10x

p's : 10963

the 10 is easier to read but could cost if one switches 4 & 7.

I made the mistake of playing back a x. Pitty cos it was the right lead, x lead gives it away.

I had the luxury of thinking this problem at home with unlimited time and with the luxury of knowing that there was something to it because it was asked in forums. Not sure if i would have the same accuracy had i played this hand at the table, but thx :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users