BBO Discussion Forums: Stick your neck out? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stick your neck out? Would you make a lead-directing double here?

Poll: Stick your neck out? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid?

1. Pass (17 votes [73.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

2. Double (6 votes [26.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:22

Much closer now I realise North is a passed hand. I wouldn't bid, but can understand why it could be right.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#22 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-January-26, 12:16

Not with an unpassed hand (sorry, random auction), but with a passed hand I think this is a nice Dbl. It holds some risk, so I won't be comfortable until opps bid something. ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#23 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-26, 13:47

I would definitely team up with han here. Pass is for WIMPS :)

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 19:24

View Posthan, on 2012-January-26, 02:04, said:

Chickens, all of you. May your partners make bad leads for the rest of your days.

You know there is other side of this coin too . Which in my personal opinion occurs much more often than showing the lead to pd which ended up happily. And no, i am not mainly talking about redoubled going for a number.

But you are basically doubling 2 with a suit, that you would probably not DBL them if they willingly bid 6. This is of course not a criteria to decide when to make a lead directing DBL, but its an ironic fact.

The reason i choose to pass is neither i am scared that they can redouble me (which is a possibility) nor because my pd may compete (i totally disagree with Hog on that one). This sort of low level doubles, where the suit is questionable in regards to its quality, usually ends up with opponents 1-Gaining extremely valuable space 2-Better hand evaluation to land in their best contract besides other much less frequent but expensive side effects such as being redoubled. Because unfortunately one of them showed 18-19 balanced hand and they are still only at 2 level.

I have to admit though, while i sound like i complain with the quality of this suit , as i said in previous post, its borderline quality for the 2 level for me and while i pass, i am not really annoyed by the choice of doublers. I can construct hands where they bid and make a bad slam or game that was down on a lead, as well as i can construct auctions and contracts where DBL costed us.

Only thing i dont understand is, why would someone think this is a bad topic/post and so bad that he would have downvoted it. Imo this is a very good post that allowed us to see other people's choices in lead directing doubles. Which is a very rare topic, except than we all know double of an artificial suit is lead directing.

For example i just learnt from this topic that there are people who would not make a lead directing double unless their hand is good enough to compete.

But i upvoted your reply anyway, because it was a cute reply and i really laughed at it. Good one bro :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 19:29

There seems to be a lot of talk about the quality of our hearts and less about the length of our spades. Maybe I am overestimating how important it is, but one of the reasons I didn't double was that I had 3 spades, increasing the likelihood that the opening bidder had 4 hearts, and also increasing the probability that they could make 2Hxx if they so chose (though if they choose to play 2Hxx, I would be pretty sick no matter what my spade length was).

#26 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-January-26, 19:29

If I didn't feel my ops were good enough to figure out when to XX, I would X in a flash. Against ops with good agreements, I have no strong feelings about this at MP (It would probably depend on my mood/quality of game), and would not X at imps.
Chris Gibson

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users