• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#21 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-17, 18:17

Luckily there aren't many (any?) of those.
OK
bed

#22 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 18:22

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-January-17, 18:17, said:

Luckily there aren't many (any?) of those.

Huh? We had a thread on this ages ago, and I think no single American thought there was anything wrong with the majority of someone's wage depending on tipping...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#23 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 18:27

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-January-17, 09:15, said:

People who complain about tipping, don't understand tipping etiquette, under-tip, or fail to tip the waiter despite the kitchen being entirely at fault.

Were they guilty of any of these things? If not, what exactly is your problem? If so, would you say it peeves you?
OK
bed

#24 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-January-17, 18:38

View Postmycroft, on 2012-January-17, 11:52, said:

Jillybean: on hold for N minutes - yeah, and they play music, so I can't just ignore it and work on something else (and usually the music is "inoffensive" - i.e. mush muzak crap). Although I've found something that's worse - one meeting provider I use says "the moderator has not yet started the conference. please hold. You will hear some silence while you wait." Great! I can do something, and when I hear someone talking, we're on! No - every minute or so, the silence stops while they tell me this again. WTF?

I should add, I the companies who invite you to enter your telephone number and then call YOU back :)

#25 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-17, 20:02

Passive-aggressive discussions about tipping.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 21:01

overuse of semicolons

#27 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 21:32

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-January-17, 21:01, said:

overuse of semicolons

When used correctly, for example by Joseph Conrad, semicolons are awesome; they add a certain flavor to sentences. The semicolon gives the ability to convey thoughts in a free-flow without using run-on sentences; the semicolons connect them so that the grammar is correct, but the thoughts are not cut short.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#28 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 22:22

Being treated like the students I teach (FYI I do not treat them the way I am treated).
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#29 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 22:31

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-January-17, 21:01, said:

overuse of semicolons

Under-use of punctuation & failure to use capitals.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#30 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 00:09

I hate when people talk about modifying percentages by a percent in an ambiguous way. An example from today's headlines "Gov. Christie proposes 10% cut to NJ income tax." Is that saying we'll save 10% more of our income, or we'll pay 10% less than what we're paying now? This also comes up a lot in political polls.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#31 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 01:29

Depends what kind of tipping. Cow tipping? :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#32 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 02:37

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-January-17, 07:40, said:

People who stop at the top of escalators or at doorways or otherwise show no situational awareness.

People who block traffic in the supermarket by leaving their shopping carts in the middle of aisles or even intersections. Why don't they park to the side of the aisles?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#33 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-18, 02:58

Dutch people who switch to English immediately (and permanently) as soon as I mess up one plural of one noun.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#34 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-January-18, 06:54

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-January-17, 18:00, said:

Eurotards who unabashedly criticize American football as somehow being inferior to their form of football, citing players wearing padding as some sort of indication that the athletes aren't as tough or somehow don't qualify as athletes.

As a 300lb ex nose tackle in lowish level Euro American football (who has played it with and without pads) I can testify that the NFL players are great explosive athletes, BUT the same degree of aerobic fitness combined with the athleticism is not required of the linemen as is required in say Rugby Union. Some of the linemen require oxygen after returning an interception 50 yards, the equivalent rugby player might have to run around for several minutes without a break, hence is a very different sort of athlete.

I actually preferred playing without pads/helmets. People were sensible about where they put their heads (unlike the invincible feeling you get from a helmet), and you got a lot less sprains and the like as the padding can give longer levers to twist things.

My pet hate, people in front of me who recline their seats on aircraft without looking or warning. If I have the fold down table in the down position when they do it, this will a) cut me in half as it will be resting against my stomach b) probably deposit my drink all over me.

#35 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-January-18, 07:27

View PostElianna, on 2012-January-17, 22:22, said:

Being treated like the students I teach (FYI I do not treat them the way I am treated).

You might enjoy this true story.

I was a new faculty member at the University of Maryland and I needed some work done by the office. Things were not moving very fast. Someone came in and addressed me as Dr. Berg, at which the secretary said "Oh my God, I have been treating you like a graduate student".
Ken

#36 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 07:29

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-January-18, 00:09, said:

I hate when people talk about modifying percentages by a percent in an ambiguous way. An example from today's headlines "Gov. Christie proposes 10% cut to NJ income tax." Is that saying we'll save 10% more of our income, or we'll pay 10% less than what we're paying now? This also comes up a lot in political polls.

I wonder about that sometimes. I see two possible explanations:

1. They do that on purpose so they can later claim or deny that they said whatever is convenient at the moment. Or so they can make polls results mean whatever they want.
2. Many politicians don't understand consumer arithmetic.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#37 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-18, 15:28

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-January-18, 02:37, said:

People who block traffic in the supermarket by leaving their shopping carts in the middle of aisles or even intersections. Why don't they park to the side of the aisles?

Rik

In London there is a solution to that. Space is usually at a premium, so shopping carts cannot reasonably be left all over. Unless the supermarket is very large or has a car park, you have to put £1 coin into a slot to get the trolley, and return it to a specified place to get the coin back. It seems like a tiny amount of money to worry about, but for some reason pretty much everyone (including me) cares about getting their £1 back.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-January-18, 06:54, said:

My pet hate, people in front of me who recline their seats on aircraft without looking or warning.

I think it is obnoxious to recline the seats, period. There is just not enough room. I recline my seat only a little and only when the person behind me seems to be asleep. And not at all when the flight is only, say, 2 or 3 hours.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#38 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-January-18, 15:30

You all must fly different airlines than I. IMO, reclining the seats is totally standard, and it takes up essentially no useful room.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#39 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-January-18, 15:52

I hate french people who talk to me in french because since I am spannish I must have learnt it on school.

I also find a lot of people over the net (mostly teenagers I guess) who contact to you in french while playing some web game assuming you should understand it. I always reply in english that I am sorry, but I have no knowledge about German.

#40 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-18, 15:53

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-18, 02:58, said:

Dutch people who switch to English immediately (and permanently) as soon as I mess up one plural of one noun.

Keep practicing your Dutch. If they want to speak English, let them. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 57 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users