• You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-17, 07:26

please enter a password between 8 and 12 characters long but which includes at least three of the following four groups:
(...)
please do not use intelligible words, any variations thereof, date of birth, passwords from other sites, anything that has anything to do with you.

DO NOT WRITE DOWN YOUR PASSWORD ANYWHERE.

isn't this getting out of control?

anyway, what is your pet peeve?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 07:30

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-17, 07:26, said:

please enter a password between 8 and 12 characters long but which includes at least three of the following four groups:
(...)
please do not use intelligible words, any variations thereof, date of birth, passwords from other sites, anything that has anything to do with you.

DO NOT WRITE DOWN YOUR PASSWORD ANYWHERE.

isn't this getting out of control?

anyway, what is your pet peeve?

hahah, right? If it is total gibberish and you don't write it down, how the heck are you going to remember it?

Personally, I hate the word (?) "guesstimate". It just really bugs me.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 07:40

People who stop at the top of escalators or at doorways or otherwise show no situational awareness.
OK
bed

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-January-17, 07:59

I suppose that air travel makes everyone's list but recently we had the following experience: We were going from BWI to Denver, changing planes in Atlanta (?????, look at a map!) but anyway, that was the route. The airline cancelled a flight and put us on a different one. OK, I'm flexible. Unfortunately, the new schedule allowed only 30 minutes in the Atlanta airport. Our flight down was fine but arrived perhaps slightly late. Out the door like a shot, running up and down escalators, carrying the carry-on, to get to the departure gate on time. Whew, a few minutes to spare, with Becky not far behind. Ah yes, but now they close the gates ten minutes before departure time. Tough luck. It's 11:00 AM, next flight to Denver leaves at 7:30 PM. Yes, they re-routed us through Phoenix and we got to Denver in late afternoon, but really if they are going to be that fierce about gate closings maybe they could, when re-routing for a cancelled flight, not put us on something with only 30 minutes between planes?

And then, combining air travel with security: Tomorrow I am going to New Orleans on a flight booked by the department. I had my itinerary number but not the confirmation code needed to select the seats. OK, I got to the website and put in my e-mail address and itinerary number to get into my account. No workee. Right, I have to use the e-mail address of the person who booked the flight. Shoulda known, I suppose.

Full body scans don't bother me and I rolled with the punch when they confiscated a small Allen wrench I accidentally left in my backpack, but I would like to be able to get on the plane without being driven nuts. I suppose frequent flyers know how to cope with all of this but I am an occasional flyer and I frequently am left with a what the ? feeling.
Ken

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-January-17, 08:00

people who take pianos or objects of similar size as carry-on baggage and then complain that it doesn't fit under the seat.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-17, 08:14

People who poke me in the back trying to rush me through a crowded place.

#7 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-17, 08:18

People who are constantly staring into their hypnotic cell phones while texting, checking sports scores, e-mail...whatever.
They do it while driving (dangerous to me), walking (dangerous to themselves), and talking to others (just downright rude).

But occasionally they provide a bit of humor...

Oooooops! :lol:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-January-17, 09:02

View Postmasse24, on 2012-January-17, 08:18, said:

People who are constantly staring into their hypnotic cell phones while texting, checking sports scores, e-mail...whatever.
They do it while driving (dangerous to me), walking (dangerous to themselves), and talking to others (just downright rude).

But occasionally they provide a bit of humor...

Oooooops! :lol:

Yes, and I think it provides clear visual evidence of the limitations of the much ballyhooed multi-tasking. It is definitely possible to walk and talk on a cell phone at the same time. However, walking, talking on a cell phone, and watching where you are going seems to be a bridge too far for many. If you get several of them going at once it's like watching bumper cars.
Ken

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-January-17, 09:10

Phoning a business and getting into the endless telephone button pushing loop game. Being on hold for 20+ minutes where every few minutes you are given a message "your business is important to us"!!
Finally getting to talk to a person only to be put on hold and have the call disconnected.
Finally getting to talk to a person only to find out they don't have the authority to make a decision and they can't/won't give you the telephone number of someone who can.
etc

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 09:12

People who drink their coffee while walking and end up wearing it. Wait, that's ME! :(

Express lane at the supermarket when the cashier tells the woman ahead of me the price and only now does she dive into the purse for the wallet and searches through a mountain of plastic for the right card. Just happened 10 minutes ago.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 09:15

People who complain about tipping, don't understand tipping etiquette, under-tip, or fail to tip the waiter despite the kitchen being entirely at fault.
OK
bed

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 11:44

View Postkenberg, on 2012-January-17, 07:59, said:

I would like to be able to get on the plane without being driven nuts. I suppose frequent flyers know how to cope with all of this but I am an occasional flyer and I frequently am left with a what the ? feeling.

When I retired from the Navy in 1993, I flew from London, England to, eventually, Rochester. Haven't been on a plane since, and don't intend to get on any if I can help it. I'd rather take the train, or drive. Or perhaps just not go.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 11:52

gwnn: (assuming actual help isn't off-topic for this thread): after 100 it's a pain, but one thing I suggest to everyone is "think of a phrase you can remember, strip the initials, Capitalize in a way you can remember, and swap out a letter or two for an appropriate number. And away you go."

Billw: do you prefer WAG? (option 1) or SWAG ("scientific WAG")?

Jillybean: on hold for N minutes - yeah, and they play music, so I can't just ignore it and work on something else (and usually the music is "inoffensive" - i.e. mush muzak crap). Although I've found something that's worse - one meeting provider I use says "the moderator has not yet started the conference. please hold. You will hear some silence while you wait." Great! I can do something, and when I hear someone talking, we're on! No - every minute or so, the silence stops while they tell me this again. WTF?

For an ontopic one, as a TD: People come up, and they know they want a N-S, or an E-W, and they don't want to be next to the wall, and they want..."for 2" (I don't sell individual entries, ma'am) - "what event, please?" "What strat, please?" - Huh?

How about people who run right up to your bumper because the speed limit isn't enough for them - and sit there grumbling at you, even though there's nobody in either lane to each side?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-January-17, 12:34

i hate 'just because (...), it doesn't mean that (...)'

why not say '(...) doesn't mean that' or 'just because (...), (not ...)'? well I guess I'm the only one who can make do without this expression.
      George Carlin

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 14:35

threads about system regulation

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 15:23

View Postmycroft, on 2012-January-17, 11:52, said:

How about people who run right up to your bumper because the speed limit isn't enough for them - and sit there grumbling at you, even though there's nobody in either lane to each side?

In some cases. It's not the speed limit, it's the fact that there's empty space in front of them. They have to fill it up. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-17, 16:23

Looking for things. In my house. Finding my sandals or running shoes can take a team of professionals, since they usually end up in the bottom of a closet, behind a couch, or in the garage. The explanation I get is, "I was just picking up; maybe you should have have put them away?" :angry: w/e.

Not passing the boards after the round has expired. Directors that are more concerned treating players like four-year-olds, in the spirit of running an 'efficient' game. These same director's knowledge of the rules is frequently limited to penalty cards, LOOTs and revokes.

Routine accidents that seem to require four EMT paramedic vans, three pumper tricks and every CHP, sheriff and municipal cop within a ten mile radius.

Closing three out of four lanes for a five mile stretch in a freeway to repairs 100 yards of asphalt.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-17, 16:30

Business phone systems that ask you to key in your account number, but then when you get to speak to a person he asks for this info again.

#19 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 18:00

Eurotards who unabashedly criticize American football as somehow being inferior to their form of football, citing players wearing padding as some sort of indication that the athletes aren't as tough or somehow don't qualify as athletes.

Also, the word "handegg" tilts me a lot.
OK
bed

#20 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 18:08

People who don't understand what's wrong with tipping.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 57 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users