BBO Discussion Forums: Fourth seat high-level openings - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fourth seat high-level openings What should they be?

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-12, 06:22

At first I was taught an auction like (p)-p-(p)-2 shows something like a minimum opening with a decent heart suit. Later I heard that some people play the 2-level fourth-seat opening as 15+, with 2NT being the only "negative" response, and everything else game forcing.
Do these treatments have names, or is it some sort of "conventional wisdom"? (no pun intended)
What's recommended for a fourth seat 2-level opening? What about 3-level or higher?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-12, 08:12

I've always played fourth seat "weak" twos as six cards and about 10-13 points. As for three and four level openings in fourth seat, I think within about 1 playing trick of the bid is about right. After three passes, partner ought to have one cover card, I hope. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   brian_m 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-12, 16:01

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-December-12, 08:12, said:

I've always played fourth seat "weak" twos as six cards and about 10-13 points. As for three and four level openings in fourth seat, I think within about 1 playing trick of the bid is about right. After three passes, partner ought to have one cover card, I hope. B-)

Many moons ago, when I was taught Benjie Acol (i.e. Acol with weak twos in the majors only) the standard was that 2H and 2S were weak in the first three seats but were back to Acol Strong Twos in fourth seat (that's 8 playing tricks in the suit including some defensive strength, for those unfamiliar with Acol). Whether there was ever a similar concept in American "standard" bidding, I have no idea.

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-12, 20:44

Expert standard nowadays, in so far as there is such a thing, seems to be that a 2M opening is about 10-15 with a decent 6 card suit. If you would rebid 3M its probably too strong. This helps you in 1M-2x-2M auctions as its close to impossible for partner to have 6 cards in his suit.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#5 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-13, 13:15

I prefer something like 9-11:

1) A range wider than three points makes it hard for partner if game is possible
2) The negative inferences are unreliable since not all hands with a six card major in range will be suitable for a two level opening
3) There is plenty of space to show better hands after opening at the one level and little gain from preempting with those hands when both opponents have passed

#6 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-14, 01:47

For me opening 2M in the forth seat is weaker than opening 1M and rebidding 2M over some no-fit response.
Typically it would be some 11-13 with 6 card suit.
Posted Image

Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users