how would you play this hand?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-December-12, 16:41

lead Q
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-12, 17:11

Chances arent great.
I guess I would draw trumps, play to the King, and if it holds, eliminate the minors. Depending on the information I have to that point, I would play A and a hoping E has doubleton Honour, or a to the Jack hoping KQ are onside, or E has singleton H. It would be useful to know how many rounds of s and s E could follow.

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-December-12, 17:15

You need the club A onside, so you'll assume that. Then your choices are to play either for both spades onside or spade Hx on your right.

I'm inclined to think that the hands look like:
RHO: Hx / x / KJ10xxxx / Hxx
LHO: H10xxx / x / Qx / AHxxx

or so. What I'll do then is win this, ruff a diamond to hand, draw trump (hopefully in 1, but I think I can afford 2), lead a club up. My plan is to win 1 club, and ruff 2 diamonds and a club. When LHO wins the club ace, if he plays a spade, I'll win the ace. Once I've stripped the hand, I'll still have a heart in both hands, so I'll duck a spade to righty, and he'll be forced to lead a diamond for a ruff & sluff.

Do I win?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-12, 19:00

And if your line doesn't work, do you get a "preempts work", free of charge?

Wyman's line for dub honor behind the AJX seems like the best hope. also works with stiff honor or KQ tight.

Extra credit for someone: I forget the name of the coup (not applicable here, but related) where declarer bangs an Ace early before elimination, in hopes that a defender with KX won't be awake enough to unblock.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-December-12, 19:19

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-12, 19:44

if my opponents were pretty good and rho unblocked an honor under the spade ace, I'd pay off to KQ tight by playing dummy's trump to hand and leading a spade up.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-12, 19:48

View Postwyman, on 2011-December-12, 19:44, said:

if my opponents were pretty good and rho unblocked an honor under the spade ace, I'd pay off to KQ tight by playing dummy's trump to hand and leading a spade up.

This is strange, since your stated line of play makes that holding irrelevant on this hand...After the elim, RHO is still endplayed; you won't be paying off.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-12, 20:21

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-December-12, 19:48, said:

This is strange, since your stated line of play makes that holding irrelevant on this hand...After the elim, RHO is still endplayed; you won't be paying off.

Right. For whatever reason, I thought I'd need to spend my last trump in dummy to get back to play a spade up, giving up the ruff/sluff. But looking at it more carefully, that's not true, even if hearts end up breaking 2-0.

Thanks for noticing.

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-December-13, 13:41

View Postwyman, on 2011-December-12, 17:15, said:

Do I win?

It sounds good but I don't know the answer. My partner sent this as a problem and he is yet to send the
full hand.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users