• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scoring North or South

#1 User is offline   swanway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-14, 04:41

EBU

In our club we use Bridgmates. After playing a hand it is normal for North to score the hand and then show the result to East who will accept the score displayed on the screen or not accept it. Is South allowed to score the board instead of North? We have one couple who prefer to use this method of scoring. Is it a law that North does the scoring and East does the checking or can South undertake this task? Dont't even ask about suggesting to South that they play North. Been there, done that!!

#2 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-14, 05:08

The laws themselves do not specify who should input or write down scores. There may be local regulations applicable, but the EBU does not regulate that North has to score. Indeed in the white book it says

"Possibly because of some very old Laws there is an impression amongst some players
that only North is allowed to do anything. They assume he has to score, look after the
boards, put the board on the table correctly, move the boards and so on. Some people
ascribe further responsibilities to North, such as looking after speed of play, deciding
whether the board should stay in the centre of the table, and so on. How much of this
is true?
According to the Law Book, only moving the boards is the specific responsibility of
North [Law 8]. However, custom and practice, plus some local regulations, mean that
scoring is normally done by North or South, and checked by East or West."

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-14, 05:16

That explains why people kept screaming at me at my (now ex-)club when I, as East, cycled the boards at the end of a hand -.-

If having South score is not illegal, and given that it really doesn't matter provided someone scores, I don't see why South shouldn't be allowed to score. Hell, why not let West check it for added fun! :)

ahydra

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 05:16

This is a matter of regulation, not law. In the programmes for EBU events it currently says that North (or South) enters the scores into the Bridgemates and East (or West) checks it. This clearly acknowledges standard practice while allowing for it to be varied. It will be included in the next edition of the White Book, but clubs are free to make their own regulations about this. It's hard to see though why a club might want to deny the possibility of South scoring instead of North.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 06:15

It's even harder to imagine what led to this question being asked.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 06:24

View Postgnasher, on 2012-May-14, 06:15, said:

As DWS oft says, most of us have no understanding of real club bridge.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-May-14, 11:33

There are Lords (frankly, almost always Ladies, but not always) Of The Table in bridge, and when you hit one of them, watch out if anybody takes North's (that is, LotT's) privilege (for anything but moving the boards - they'll do anything not to have to do anything more than bruise the next South's arm for that)*

But there is a good and valid reason why Only North (or Only South, if North so delegates) cycles boards. At least once a tournament, I get a "we're bidding from different boards" situation; almost always, someone cycled the boards and pulled their cards, and then the LotT does it and pulls out *their* hand. What the other two do is somewhat random. As this frequently leads to two boards being unplayable, it's somewhat discouraged. Yes, I know *you're* smarter than that and pay more attention, but your opponents aren't...

*including getting the TDs to do it because "you're there, and up". Unless you have a walker, you can get up. If you're late, I'll move the board that the new table needs to keep the game moving; if it's a real request and not a polite (and sometimes not even polite) demand, and you don't do it *every round*, yeah, maybe I'll do it; otherwise, "I'm sorry, I need to pay attention to that table down there." If it's a not polite demand, it might even get a not polite "No."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-May-14, 14:27

View Postahydra, on 2012-May-14, 05:16, said:

I don't see why South shouldn't be allowed to score. Hell, why not let West check it for added fun! :)

On the contrary, I don't consider this fun at all. If I'm sitting East I expect to be the one doing the checking regardless of whether North or South is entering the score in the Bridgemate. I find that people scoring South often do present it to West instead and consider it annoying.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 15:01

Marge was sitting East today. Sweet old lady, somewhere in her nineties. Decent, but not great, player. I made to hand her the bridgepad after the first board. Her partner said, "would you give that to me, please". So I did. :P

BTW, I was north.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2012-May-14, 20:53

In Australia, South scores & East checks. That's our advice, not a Rule.

Incidentally, it seems clear to me(us) that South should score since he sees the world the right way up.
Fewer errors in keying declarer.

I suspect North as scorer started in America a century ago and nobody sort to question it.
This is not a hemispherical issue.
Now boards and movement cards are mostly numbered upside down. The horse has bolted, which is a pity.

#11 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-15, 07:23

View Postgnasher, on 2012-May-14, 06:15, said:

I have been told off by opponents for scoring as South. They told me I mustn't, the Law says it had to be North. When I told them I did not think so they intimated I had no idea of the Laws. This is not an isolated case, it has happened to me a few times.

My partner likes to check the Bridgemate so I always indicate it should be shown to her. One particularly obnoxious North said "The Bridgemate says for East or West to check it". I replied, mildly [for me]: "My partner is East or West".

When I score I always ask opponents which one would like to check the Bridgemate.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-15, 10:42

When I'm scoring, I usually keep the bridgemate towards my right, so I tend to show it to West because they're closer. Most EW pairs don't seem to have a preference over who checks, but sometimes they'll say that their partner does the checking and then I pass it over to East.

#13 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-15, 19:09

when we are ew and we get a bad result, i make my partner check the score. I check all the good ones. He likes it when he doesn't get to check many. :)
--Ben--

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-May-15, 19:27

I find that when all men and many women are doing the scoring, it doesn't matter whether they usually show it to East or West, when it is a mixed pair. Pisses me off.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-May-15, 19:42

I generally ask 'who checks the scores' after the first hand, and failing that give it to whoever I happened to be looking at at the time.. but I generally sit west because superstition and I like to move as much as possible because I get uncomfortable sitting at a small table for a protracted period of time.

View Postinquiry, on 2012-May-15, 19:09, said:

when we are ew and we get a bad result, i make my partner check the score. I check all the good ones. He likes it when he doesn't get to check many. :)

This is a good idea. I am going to start doing this - partly because I'm currently playing with some new players so seeing the scoring can only help.

#16 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-16, 02:56

View Postbluejak, on 2012-May-15, 07:23, said:

I have been told off by opponents for scoring as South. They told me I mustn't, the Law says it had to be North. When I told them I did not think so they intimated I had no idea of the Laws. This is not an isolated case, it has happened to me a few times.

:rolleyes:

Sounds as if they know you David :P

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-May-16, 03:06

When I'm North and I was defending, I let declarer check. When I was declarer or dummy, I usually give it to East, I think some (most?) Bridgemates say "verify score by East", or is this my dyslexia acting up again?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-16, 03:23

View Postgwnn, on 2012-May-16, 03:06, said:

I think some (most?) Bridgemates say "verify score by East", or is this my dyslexia acting up again?

The older ones do, but more recent firmware corrected this to say East or West.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#19 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-May-16, 11:01

When doing tickets, or scoring bridgemates, I have also noticed the "mixed pair" issue, so I deliberately, unless I know better for this pair, pass it the other way. I have even had that commented on (as in "wow, Round 9 and you're the first person that assumed partner is able to check the scores. Thank you.")

Of course, almost all of my partners (in particular, all my female partners) refuse to allow me to score any more.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-16, 14:09

View PostVampyr, on 2012-May-15, 19:27, said:

I find that when all men and many women are doing the scoring, it doesn't matter whether they usually show it to East or West, when it is a mixed pair. Pisses me off.

I can't figure out what this means. I'm guessing there's supposed to be some implication of gender discrimination, but I can't see where you're saying it.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users