• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scoring North or South

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-16, 15:39

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-16, 14:09, said:

I can't figure out what this means. I'm guessing there's supposed to be some implication of gender discrimination, but I can't see where you're saying it.

Read the post directly above yours.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-16, 17:55

Is checking the bridgemate an important job that can be entrusted only to a responsible male, or is it a tiresome administrative task ideally suited to the female mind?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#23 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-May-16, 21:21

With bridge mates, the only consideration I have when giving the bridge mate to east or west to check the score is:

Is either one of them at least a generation younger than the other one?

If the answer is yes, I give it to the younger person, since my experience is that they'll be less intimidated by technology. I had no idea that there was a traditional direction that checked scores.
Chris Gibson

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-May-16, 21:47

View Postgnasher, on 2012-May-16, 17:55, said:

Is checking the bridgemate an important job that can be entrusted only to a responsible male, or is it a tiresome administrative task ideally suited to the female mind?

I find it's the former, though I wasn't aware until now that giving the bridgemate to either person is evidence of sexism.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 02:26

I am astonished over what some people can make a problem.

If some regulation or CoC specifies the players responsible for recording and confirming (respectively) the result on a board then obviously the same players are responsible for the corresponding handling of Bridgemates.

And if no such regulation or CoC exists then there should be no more problem with Bridgemates than there has been through more than 80 years with travellers or similar forms to be written and confirmed.

#26 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-17, 06:12

View PostVampyr, on 2012-May-15, 19:27, said:

I find that when all men and many women are doing the scoring, it doesn't matter whether they usually show it to East or West, when it is a mixed pair. Pisses me off.

As someone else posts, this seems to make no sense, but I shall guess what you mean: the Bridgemate is offered to the male opponent for checking?

If so, I object strongly to the term "all men". Even if I was the only one - and I don't suppose I am - I offer the Bridgemate to both opponents and let them choose.

View Postpran, on 2012-May-17, 02:26, said:

I am astonished over what some people can make a problem.

If some regulation or CoC specifies the players responsible for recording and confirming (respectively) the result on a board then obviously the same players are responsible for the corresponding handling of Bridgemates.

And if no such regulation or CoC exists then there should be no more problem with Bridgemates than there has been through more than 80 years with travellers or similar forms to be written and confirmed.

Perhaps it is time you read and considered Law 74A2 which is what we are discussing indirectly. Or do you not consider breaching this Law 'a problem'?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#27 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-17, 08:38

Good grief. If to whom I hand the BridgeMate might be a violation of 74A2, we have gone too far with "political correctness"

I hand it to the person who has put away his/her cards first, unless otherwise requested by the opponents; this is because a person slow to put his/her cards back into the board will stop doing that task, drop them back on the table, and refocus on the gadget. I will offer no observation here on gender :rolleyes:

And, what is so difficult about just plain sitting North if you are the one who is going to enter scores? Those who are superstitious would merely have to learn to do it or teach partner to do it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#28 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-May-17, 10:25

Because I have been sensitised to this sort of thing, I notice these sorts of things. And maybe I'm not just "the man in the mixed pair" or "the better player in the mixed pair" (note that I am clearly *not* in some of my mixed pairs, but for those that I am) because of my non-playing skills, but it's almost invariant that I get the bridgemate, or I am asked to sign the score slip - if my partner's female. If he's not, it's less invariant.

Other people may have different experiences, but that's mine, and yes, I did notice it. So I started explicitly not doing it, without actually saying anything unless someone else did.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#29 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-17, 10:40

If we E/W were declarer, I hand it to the person who played the hand.
If we were declarer, I hand it to the female of the mixed pair otherwise the person who appears most ready or interested.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#30 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-17, 10:44

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-17, 10:40, said:

If we E/W were declarer, I hand it to the person who played the hand.
If we were declarer, I hand it to the female of the mixed pair otherwise the person who appears most ready or interested.

Blatant sexism (-;

#31 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-17, 10:57

View PostVampyr, on 2012-May-16, 15:39, said:

Read the post directly above yours.

I understood mycroft, I just couldn't figure out how he extracted that meaning from your post.

#32 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-17, 10:58

Maybe the best way to avoid accusations of bias or sexism is to give it to East on even boards (both start with "E"), West on odd ones.

#33 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 12:18

When i'm north (something I try to avoid) I put it in the centre of the table and see who goes to confirm. I then will pass it to them.

#34 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-17, 12:49

With South always being declarer and West always being on opening lead, North and East really should have some function other than just decoration.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#35 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-May-17, 13:07

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-17, 10:57, said:

I understood mycroft, I just couldn't figure out how he extracted that meaning from your post.
With a (first) name like Vampyr's and the comment, and my experience, I Just Guessed. You'll note that I also didn't mention which side of the mixed pair I chose to give it to in my first comment - but You Just Guessed, didn't you?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#36 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-17, 13:22

View Postmjj29, on 2012-May-17, 10:44, said:

Blatant sexism (-;

Don't get me started :D
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#37 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2012-May-17, 14:58

View Postbluejak, on 2012-May-17, 06:12, said:

[...]
Perhaps it is time you read and considered Law 74A2 which is what we are discussing indirectly. Or do you not consider breaching this Law 'a problem'?

Of course I know Law 74A2, it is in fact the law that in my opinion (and in Norway not only mine) is the most important law in the book.

And how anybody can feel annoyed or embarrassed by which player in each pair handles the Bridgemate so long as both sides participate in the registration of a score is beyond me.

What I really would consider a violation of Law 74A2 is any objection to me handling our side of Bridgemate duties in case my partner (for whatever reason) prefers that I take care of them.

#38 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-May-17, 19:31

View PostLanor Fow, on 2012-May-17, 12:18, said:

When i'm north (something I try to avoid) I put it in the centre of the table and see who goes to confirm. I then will pass it to them.

Yes, I usually do that too; I put it in front of me facing opposite.

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-May-17, 12:49, said:

With South always being declarer and West always being on opening lead, North and East really should have some function other than just decoration.

I think the newspapers are not always telling the truth about this.

#39 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 19:57

On the rare occasions when I am both called upon to enter the score and manage to persuade the device to proceed to the verification stage, the surprise tends to cause me to drop the handset. I can only hope that it has always landed in the middle of the table or a demonstrably neutral part of the floor.

#40 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-17, 20:13

View Postmycroft, on 2012-May-17, 13:07, said:

With a (first) name like Vampyr's and the comment, and my experience, I Just Guessed. You'll note that I also didn't mention which side of the mixed pair I chose to give it to in my first comment - but You Just Guessed, didn't you?

I know she's a woman. You mentioned "the mixed pair issue", which suggests a sexist bias. She also mentioned mixed pairs, but as hard as I tried, I couldn't figure out how to interpret sexism from "it doesn't matter whether they usually show it to East or West". I suspected she was pissed off by sexist bias as well, because what else is there to be pissed about, but she specifically said "it doesn't matter", which seems to be the opposite.

Maybe it's a language problem, and she didn't write what she meant. Vampyr, are you not a native English speaker?

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users