BBO Discussion Forums: Lead problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead problem Many choices!

Poll: Lead Problem (17 member(s) have cast votes)

What is best lead? (imps, you are white vs red)

1. Trump - trying to be passive, and/or stop ruffs in dummy (2 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. Ace of Hearts - trying to force declarer off, and/or get look at dummy, and/or grab our tricks (8 votes [47.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

3. Jack of Diamonds - Set-up out suit before declarer sets-up his / safer than heart lead (6 votes [35.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

4. Club - trying to be passive, and/or safer than other leads (1 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Crunch3nt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-01, 16:58

Please comment freely! I have no idea of best/percentage lead. Will post actual hand in 24 hours

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-01, 18:06

I am not expecting to make 2 tricks in defense in this bidding to be honest. I also expect the opener to be short in rather than 2 bidder. Although i hate to lead an unprotected Ace even when supported by partner, I would lead A. As u said this also allows me to study dummy to figure out whats pd's DBL is about and if pd has 4 trumps perhaps we may tap off declarer or we may try to grab our tricks. I may regret this if pd doubled with the hope that i can find his shortness, since i am killing my only quick entry with the lead.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 18:41

Partner's X will be based on general strength and the expectation of talking a trump trick or 2.
He will expect a lead unless I have another safe attacking lead to offer.
I lead the Ace after fingering the Jack. Now I can safely blame partner if it makes :rolleyes:

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-02, 09:51

Leading a low heart to get a diamond through is rather sexy.

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-02, 10:11

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-02, 09:51, said:

Leading a low heart to get a diamond through is rather sexy.

Would the ten spot be a better signal to partner, or should a low heart work just as well?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-02, 10:26

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-September-02, 10:11, said:

Would the ten spot be a better signal to partner, or should a low heart work just as well?

Heh, I'm sure I'd lead the HA at the table, but I remember a hand where Joel (Wooldridge) did something similar, and he also led suit preference so his partner knew what to shift to...

I think the ten is too dangerous though of getting ducked or something. Maybe that is just paranoia, but in general I like to just lead my normal count card and let partner figure out why I did it.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-September-02, 13:26

somehow I feel attracted to the spade lead, so chalk +1 for that lead.

#8 User is offline   Crunch3nt 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-04, 22:05

Hi all,

The actual hand below: With over 50% going for the wrong lead, Maybe this is an allocate the blame problem? Perhaps East should have bid 3S or 3C instead of 4H?

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-05, 00:20

View PostCrunch3nt, on 2011-September-04, 22:05, said:

Hi all,
Maybe this is an allocate the blame problem? Perhaps East should have bid 3S or 3C instead of 4H?

I dont know what others think but imo yes, East should have made his intentions clear for pd before he bid 4. If not for lead purpose but for other reasons, look at vulnerability, when you jump to 4 white and they bid 4, there is always a danger that pd may save.

I think he wanted to ambush opponents and wanted them to bid 4 and DBL. Oh well, he got what he wished for. Had he bid normally we could have get a +420 or +200, now if i was his pd we get -790 :)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-September-05, 02:17

I wouldn't expect 3 small s in partner's hand, better is to just cuebid to show his values and 3 card fit. Then west won't lead the A ever imo.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-September-05, 02:26

If we agree that partner's actual hand is a 3 bid, what does his sequence show?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-05, 04:13

View Postgnasher, on 2011-September-05, 02:26, said:

IF we agree on actual hand is a 3 bid, he probably have s now. Something like this, u can add 1 more and take out a or from his hand i think, i just wrote pretty fast. There maybe some other hands where opponents screwed up even worse with a genius responder supporting his pd with Hx or something. I cant think of other options when we agree that good hands start with cue. Unless this DBL by agreement tells us not to lead .

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-September-05, 04:28

View Postgnasher, on 2011-September-05, 02:26, said:

Either a preemptive raise with 5+ or some mixed raise which wants to Dbl 4 for penalties :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-September-05, 09:17

Pard's bid over 2S is probably DBL. You're going to be outbid anyway, so you might as well start directing the lead.

#15 User is offline   Crunch3nt 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 20:30

So instead of bidding 4H, when East bids 3S followed by 4H, this does not show a slam-try (cuebid is game forcing) and instead just shows a HCP raise?

ie a similar concept to when the auction goes (1S) X (Pass), 4H shows a distributional hand, and hyou have to go via 2S with bal HCP and hearts?

#16 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 21:41

I also like double followed by 4. It's not as encouraging as a cue bid and concealing our three card support may even be an advantage if it keeps partner from bidding 5 over 4.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users