• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SAYC vs 2/1 Playing on BBO

#1 User is offline   DCal 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:reading, playing guitar, bridge of course

Posted 2011-August-18, 09:48

Another contributor has made this point, but I wish to emphasize it: SAYC is an excellent system for pickup partners on BBO. I usually ask pd if there is a defense to opps 1NT opening. If they are not interested, that's fine. SAYC covers all of the major issues encountered in "friendly" online games.
I play 2/1 with my established and regular partners, but the issues of what is forcing, what is not, what constitutes an opening bid, etc. are not topics to spend time working out with strangers online.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-19, 04:20

View PostDCal, on 2011-August-18, 09:48, said:

Another contributor has made this point, but I wish to emphasize it: SAYC is an excellent system for pickup partners on BBO.

Why, because 5% of them actually know the SAYC system? (I think that's an optimistic guess but there must be a reason you claim this.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-19, 06:44

Another contributor has made this point, but I wish to emphasize it: SAYC is an excellent system for pickup partners on BBO. I usually ask pd if there is a defense to opps 1NT opening. If they are not interested, that's fine. SAYC covers all of the major issues encountered in "friendly" online games.
I play 2/1 with my established and regular partners, but the issues of what is forcing, what is not, what constitutes an opening bid, etc. are not topics to spend time working out with strangers online.

A defence to 1NT has nothing to do with SAYC.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-19, 06:55

In 2/1 at least you know that everything is forcing after an uncontested 2/1 response (OK, 1-2 might be an exception).

If partner really knows SAYC then of course you know almost everything. But if people say SAYC they almost invariably just mean "my personal flavor of 5cM/strong NT". Lots of profiles say "sayc" and then a lot of things that are contradictory to SAYC such as 1NT=16-18, 2NT=19-21. So you can't assume that what is forcing in SAYC is forcing for that particular partner.

1M-2m
2M*
is obviously forcing in 2/1 and obviously not in Acol (except maybe in Australia). So if this auction comes up I would be reasonably comfortable having no system discussions beyond "2/1" or "Acol". But if the agreement is SAYC, is it forcing? Of course it is in real SAYC, but which percentage of BBO'ers who claim to play SAYC play it as forcing?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-19, 07:37

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-August-19, 06:55, said:

In 2/1 at least you know that everything is forcing after an uncontested 2/1 response (OK, 1-2 might be an exception).

Well, some people apparently play 1-2-2-3 etc. as nonforcing. But I would hope that would not be the assumption if all that was agreed was "2/1".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-19, 07:44

Have you ever read the specifics of SAYC? I haven't. Even after playing on BBO for many years I'm sometimes surprized when someone on the forum points out the meaning of a specific auction playing SAYC.

However, I must admit that 5 card Majors, 3 card minors, strong NT, 2 strongest bid and weak two's (= what many people consider SAYC although it isn't) is quickly agreed and may give you a decent game if you're not playing with total beginners or drunk people. 2/1 is better imo because it creates more certainty about forcing calls, but not everyone knows 2/1 sadly...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-August-19, 17:35

I've read the ACBL pamphlet (and used to keep t to hand)and bought a book on SAYC because I'm anal and wanted to make sure I understood what other BBO SAYC players were saying they bid. I can honestly say that I haven't had a pick up whose profile said SAYC who really understood what it meant.

#8 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-August-20, 03:49

Hello Dear,

"Probably" 2/1 is a superior system (listening to most of the experts). I expect that a few years from know everbody will play 2/1 (just like 10 years ago, everybody was playing strong 2s, now everybody plays weak 2s).

The Problem with 2/1: what 2/1 is partner playing ?

BWS started some kind of a Standardisation effort, but for one or other reason this project was abandonned. Too Sad.

On BBO, the 2/1CCs, might give guidelines, but different CCs, conflicting between them, are available.

What is needed ? A full blown 2/1 system, as BWS started to construct, but also a 2/1 standard for beginners, and why not an intermediate version (with options).

This said: I prefer, with pick-up partners, to play ACBL SAYC, at least this is more or less froozen, althought the BBO CC and the ACBL Booklet are conflicting: I always give precedence to the CC, wwhen playing on BBO (I know that partner has at least access to that CC).

And again, my Dear, please discuss system with your partner.

Bob Herreman

#9 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-August-20, 19:27

IMO it's just about exactly the opposite of how OP put it: I play a lot of 2/1 with pickup partners because even if I don't like all the default agreements at least I am confident there won't be many misunderstandings. If you have plenty of time for discussion about your 2nd round rebids, your fsf/nmf style, etc etc, then a SA-based system can become a very effective choice especially at MP, but it's risky without those discussions.

#10 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-August-21, 02:24

If you are likely to get upset when a random passes your obviously forcing bid, why bother playing with randoms at all? Much better to spend a few dollars on some robots and save the frustration. Or else call up a friend and have a game with someone you know.

I would rather poke my eyes out with a blunt pencil than sit through ten minutes with a random BBOer.
I Transfers

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-22, 02:58

View PostSiegmund, on 2011-August-20, 19:27, said:

IMO it's just about exactly the opposite of how OP put it: I play a lot of 2/1 with pickup partners because even if I don't like all the default agreements at least I am confident there won't be many misunderstandings. If you have plenty of time for discussion about your 2nd round rebids, your fsf/nmf style, etc etc, then a SA-based system can become a very effective choice especially at MP, but it's risky without those discussions.

I agree, although there's one thing you should discuss when playing 2/1: does everything above 1M-2m-2M show extras or not. Some play 1-2m-2 as any strength, others require extras. This is the most important sequence. Others are 1M-2-3 or 1-2-3m where apparently not everyone needs extras, although this one I suspect is standard.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 05:40

View PostFree, on 2011-August-22, 02:58, said:

I agree, although there's one thing you should discuss when playing 2/1: does everything above 1M-2m-2M show extras or not. Some play 1-2m-2 as any strength, others require extras. This is the most important sequence. Others are 1M-2-3 or 1-2-3m where apparently not everyone needs extras, although this one I suspect is standard.

Well, "should discuss", dunno... if I play a 16 board pickup game I expect this type of sequence to come up 0.1 times.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-August-22, 17:18

View PostFree, on 2011-August-22, 02:58, said:

I agree, although there's one thing you should discuss when playing 2/1: does everything above 1M-2m-2M show extras or not.

Another one, 1M-2m-2NT is often played as showing extras.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-August-22, 18:32

View PostLurpoa, on 2011-August-20, 03:49, said:

I expect that a few years from know everbody will play 2/1

I certainly won't be one of them. To be perfectly honest, although 2/1 GF is very simple and thus easy to play with casual partners, I don't know why 1M-2 as an artificial GF is not favoured by established partnerships. It's true that it is more vulnerable to competition, but otherwise it eliminates a lot of the problems with 2/1 GF. Does anyone know why it is not a more popular method than it is?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-August-22, 18:50

View PostVampyr, on 2011-August-22, 18:32, said:

I certainly won't be one of them. To be perfectly honest, although 2/1 GF is very simple and thus easy to play with casual partners, I don't know why 1M-2 as an artificial GF is not favoured by established partnerships. It's true that it is more vulnerable to competition, but otherwise it eliminates a lot of the problems with 2/1 GF. Does anyone know why it is not a more popular method than it is?

my guess is that your methods offer only a very slight advantage at best but in any case your post does not move the discussion forward.

fwiw I dont find 2/1 any more easier to use than systems I learned in my youth such as roman clb or neopolitan/blue club. I thought ehaa was the standard bridge system when I first came to bridge :)
---

I kind of like chip martel's treatment of 1M=2c..I am told it is his most favorite convention.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-August-22, 21:17

View Postmike777, on 2011-August-22, 18:50, said:

my guess is that your methods offer only a very slight advantage at best but in any case your post does not move the discussion forward.

You have no idea what "my" methods are, but I do think that the treatment I mentioned offers significant advantages over 2/1 GF; since you need it spelt out, the main ones are that this method combined with a strong NT means you can open the bidding more aggressively and have much better auctions with invitational responding hands with their own suit.

Terribly sorry for not moving the discussion forward, whatever that means, lol.

#17 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-August-22, 21:33

View PostVampyr, on 2011-August-22, 21:17, said:

You have no idea what "my" methods are, but I do think that the treatment I mentioned offers significant advantages over 2/1 GF; since you need it spelt out, the main ones are that this method combined with a strong NT means you can open the bidding more aggressively and have much better auctions with invitational responding hands with their own suit.

Terribly sorry for not moving the discussion forward, whatever that means, lol.

1) i DONT KNOW YOUR METHODS YOU DONT TELL US ...LOL
2)
BASED ON YOUR POST...UGGG HORRIBLE

----

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID i WILL ASSUME THERE ARE MANY METHODS BETTER JUST NOT SURE ALOT BETTER.....

1) PLAY THE HANDS BETTER
2)_ DEFEND THE HANDS BETTER
3) PLAY SOME THIS METHOD?

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-August-22, 21:41

And find lower case button.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#19 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 22:34

View PostLurpoa, on 2011-August-20, 03:49, said:

(just like 10 years ago, everybody was playing strong 2s, now everybody plays weak 2s).

What time warp are you in? When I joined ACBL in 1982 (yikes!) the only people who played strong 2s were already 70+.

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-August-23, 05:00

Vampyr, if you are going for relays then I can see little advantage in 1H - 2C = GF relay versus 1H - 1S = INV+ relay. You are always better placed with GF hands...

1H - 1S; 1N = min without 4 spades...now 2C is GF relay and you have more information
1H - 1S; 2C = 4 spades...now 2D = GF relay, 1 step higher but with only a few hand types to relay out
1H - 1S; 2D or higher = max without 4 spades....you are already in GF relays with fewer hand types than after 1H - 2C, plus your invitational hands can also relay

The only major disadvantage of this method (aside from ACBL regs) is that the GF is not immediately established. I do not think this makes up for the 3 big advantages of the invitational relay approach (in addition to the above, the third is that your other simple responses can be played as non-forcing).

The situation is less clear over a 1S spade opening since here the INV+ relay approach is a step higher. I think the 2 methods are roughly equal in this case.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users