Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tricky rebid?

#1 User is offline   dcohio 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-21, 20:14

We can bid 2 here, and if partner is interested he can bid 2NT to ask if we have 3 or 4 card raise and min/max.

Or, we can bid 2 (GF if partner does not bid 2NT)

This hand seems to be in between the two bids. It seems too weak to reverse, yet too strong for a single raise.

What would you pick and why?

If you bid 2, partner bids 4. Do you make a move over this?

If you bid 2, partner bids 2

#2 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-August-21, 21:23

I would bid 2 first then spades at whatever level we're at, to show a 16+ HCP hand with 3-card support. It is worth this and more with its aces, its shape (considering partner's suit), and its solid diamond suit, and tens.

If you swapped the hearts and diamonds, I would rebid 2 then over partner's expected 2 preference, bid 2 to show the same 16+ with 3-card support.

If you swapped the spades and clubs, I wouldn't even reverse, I'd rebid 2.

For the second part, I would bid 4 over a natural and forcing 2 (are we playing blackout?).
I Transfers

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-22, 00:09

View Postdcohio, on 2011-August-21, 20:14, said:

Or, we can bid 2 (GF if partner does not bid 2NT)

This is the problem part with the reverse to 2H. An earlier thread discussed whether both 3C and 3D should be the weak version of the reverse, and here it would come to roost. 3S over 2NT would pattern the hand, but I am not strong enough to do that when partner denied 5 spades.

On this hand we know too much --- that pard will bid 2S over 2H --- so, if we really want to result, we could choose the jump raise to 3S over 1. Would never do that without 4 pieces at the table.

I am going low with 2S, and living with pard's 4S rebid. She didn't have to jump to 4 to make sure we get to game; anything else after my underbid of 2S would get me to come alive.

I would, of course, violate partnership if she bids 1-2-3 stop (and raise to four).
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2011-August-22, 00:31

Hi,

2H looks ok, you describe your shape, if p has a 5 card uit, you want to play 4S,
at least playing IMPs.
For me the hand is too strong for a 2S bid, take away a King or an Ace, maybe just
a Queen, and I would say, that 2S is perfect.

If I decided to bid 2S, I will pass over 4S, p did not show any interest in investigating
slam, I may have slightly more, that he can possibly dream of, but not much.

If p bids 2S over 2H, I raise to 3S, or make the 4C splinter bid, most likely 4C is weaker
than 3S.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-August-22, 01:38

2 is a serious underbid. 2 is just about par.

#6 User is offline   farrnbach 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-22, 02:26

2 all your cards seem to be usefull to p, your are tricks, probably you will play 4

2 only if you are desperately fishing for a top in pairs (you assume nothind is making)

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-22, 02:36

Partner doesn't need much to make game, a reverse is probably the best. 2 is a huge underbid imo, and you may miss a superior 4-4 fit.

So 1-1-2-2-3 is the obvious start, partner will start cuebids (hopefully you play serious/frivolous 3NT for even better results) and eventually one of you can make a good decision for slam.

Note: I find it strange that 2 is GF, imo it's better to play 2 and 2NT as weak rebids.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2011-August-24, 12:58

I'd reverse here as this hand has lots of extras in support of and if you end up in 3NT lacking a major suit fit with PD stopping hopefully you can take 5 tricks if needed. After reversing, hopefully PD has a good hand and you cooperate with his slam moves.

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-24, 13:11

Not all that tricky. This is a full reverse once partner showed spade length.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 14:19

2 K-S . Pard will call 2 w/5+, whereupon O raises to show precisely this hand (maybe a bit heavy). Pard's 2N is Ing/Leb/whatever-you-call-it, and O refuses the relay w/3; 3C is GF; etc. Way strong for 2S.

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Enjoying Crested Butte, Colorado, USA

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 23:41

I agree 2 is a huge underbid, while 2 is at worst slightly an overbid even for most conservative bidders. I'd go with 2. If i was forced to bid something else, i would prefer 3 with 3 cards to 2 with this hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-25, 00:03

2h ugg overbid

then prefer 3snf not 4c over 2s i have dead minimum

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-August-29, 11:54

If I reverse, I would bid 3S over 2S from partner, showing a minimum 3451 which is what I have.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-August-29, 12:21

Heck, even I reverse this hand, and I am amongst those whose reverses usually promise great strength if based on 4=5 shape.

I do need both 10's, and the Aces, and the great diamond suit....and this is a minimum. It may also represent an evolution in my thinking processes about reverses, spurred in part by the posts made, over the years, by those who have advocated lighter reverses than my former preference.

Interesting question: if 2N is lebensohl (or ingberman, which operates identically here), should one bid 3 or 3?

I differ from Frances on this one. I would bid 3 because, in the style I prefer, partner will pass 3 only with a weak 4=6, and opposite such a hand, 3 is probably the best spot for us...I will correct either of 3 or 3 to 3, and that, for me, spells a minimum 3=4=5=1. If I were to pull 2N to 3, overruling partner's request to bid 3 (unless I couldn't stand it) then that would, to me, show a maximum and would be forcing.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-August-29, 12:24

Interesting question: if 2N is lebensohl (or ingberman, which operates identically here), should one bid 3♣ or 3♠?

Why is this interesting? Obv don't bid 3S.

I differ from Frances on this one.

I think you misread Frances? She said if partner rebid spades, she would raise them. Tough to disagree with that!

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-August-29, 12:26

Also why would you correct 2N-3C-3D to 3S? Partner doesn't have 5 spades, they bid 2N not 2S. I'd rather play 3D in a (hopefully) 5-3 fit than 3S in a 4-3 fit. Likewise, why correct 3H, partner has a weak 5-4 and I would rather play hearts.

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-August-29, 13:06

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-August-29, 12:26, said:

Also why would you correct 2N-3C-3D to 3S? Partner doesn't have 5 spades, they bid 2N not 2S. I'd rather play 3D in a (hopefully) 5-3 fit than 3S in a 4-3 fit. Likewise, why correct 3H, partner has a weak 5-4 and I would rather play hearts.

You are right, of course. Not the first time I have started to write at work, been interrupted, came back and lost all idea of what I had been meaning to say and don't bother re-engaging brain B-) Probably won't be the last either
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users