BBO Discussion Forums: Best book to learn how to play the cards - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best book to learn how to play the cards What do you recommend?

#21 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-November-23, 17:00

Flame, on Nov 23 2004, 07:37 PM, said:

I just love mike lawrence's books on play.

his bidding book is even better:)

#22 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-23, 17:00

ArcLight, on Nov 23 2004, 07:30 PM, said:

I just finished Mike Lawrences "Complete Book of Hand Evaluation" and Marty Bergens "Hand Evaluation". I enjoyed reading them together. The Bergen book is a much faster read, with a few formulas, and hand evaluation problems. The Lawrence book was slower going as he presents the reader with many auctions. As the aution progresses he explains how your hand changes in value. He tries to get you in the habit of estimating the other players holdings in all 4 suits.

I recommend both books for beginners through intermediates.

i just reread the hand evaluation book. i think it worths reading many times.

#23 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-November-24, 06:25

For beginners I recommend , in order of preference:

1- How to play a bridge hand by William Root
2- Berthe & Lebely Pas a pas (ssome volumes were published also in english I think, check on the Baron Barclay book catalog)
3- Mollo's Card Play technique
4- I'd like to recommend also Kantar's "Take your tricks", excellent tip easy to follow for BIL players
5- the "Card play made easy" series by Klinger/Kambites is also excellent

I did not like Watson's Play of the hand despite his celebrations.
Of course all the material included is good, but the organization and the manner of writing is IMO uninteresting

---

For defense I recommend
How to defend a bridge hand by William Root for a start and thenany Kantar book
:-)

----
There are then more advanced books such as:

1- Declarer play: Lawrence's books, Kelsey's, Dormer's and above all Terence Reese's books. Also, I have seen unmentions Marshall Miles' "All 52 cards"

2- Defense: Partnership defense by Kit Woolsey and Killing defence at bridge by Kelsey's are a must

But these are only for a later stage, after the first impact with basic technique has been overcome.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#24 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2004-November-24, 08:18

I tried reading Terrence Reeses books, they are highly recommended by many players (including Mike Lawrence).
But I was put off by his attitude. This may be silly, but I didn't like "Reese the person" as he came across in his books and it turned me off to what he was trying to teach. He came across as an arrogant jerk. There are so many other GREAT bridge books I figured I could skip his. Now maybe someday I will try and read his books again, but I have a lot of other stuff to read first.

I can't over state how much I like Bill Roots books - How to Play a Bridge Hand, and even better How to Defend a Bridge hand. For beginner through intermediate they are terrific. (I think many of the "Intermediates" on BBO would do well to read these two because they don't know a quarter of what these books teach)

I have all of Mike Lawrence's books and software and am slowly progressing through them. It takes a while as his books require a lot of thinking and trying to figure out whats going on, who has what, distributions, etc.

I'm very eagerly looking forward to the upcoming "I Fought the Law of Total Tricks" by Mike Lawrence.

If the LAW isn't as accurate as its advocates espouse, then maybe Bergen bidding isn't as effective as some think it is?

#25 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-November-24, 18:11

i'll buy lawrence's book on lott also, but i would like to say something... bergen does base a lot (most) of his bidding on lott... while it's true he hasn't played competitively in a long time, i think it would be an error to think that his law-based bidding/play was anything other than successful, when he did play... he won an awful lot of national titles...

maybe lawrence is going to deal with theory, or practice, or some combination, but anyone who has based competitive decisions on lott should already know to what extent it can be trusted
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#26 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-November-24, 19:04

"I tried reading Terrence Reeses books, they are highly recommended by many players (including Mike Lawrence).
But I was put off by his attitude. This may be silly, but I didn't like "Reese the person" as he came across in his books and it turned me off to what he was trying to teach."

Interesting, I regard him, (Reese), as the greatest Bridge writer of all time. His prose is elegant and concise. On the other hand I find many US writers, (not Lawrence I might add, but certainly Tobias Stone for example), overblown and verbose. I guess it depends what you are brought up with.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#27 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-January-12, 00:19

Hi

I reread this post today by chance and found it exactly so instructive and informative as 2 years ago.

Maybe it can be pinned anywhere for newcomers?

Ty all who shared their knowledge.

Regards

Al
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#28 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-12, 02:16

Almost certainly out of print, but if you can get hold of it I swear by the book "Victor Mollo's Winning Double" (by the named author, of course).

Aimed at the BIL player, it is a book of card play problems covering common situations, presented in the classical format: Problem stated on one page, solution overleaf. The book is divided into two equal halves (hence the title). The author claims that there is no difference in the difficulty of either half compared with the other. The reader is invited to tackle the halves in either order, with a guarantee that he will do better in whichever half he tackles second.

There are a lot of good card play books out there for beginners, but none in my opinion does such a great job of bolstering the confidence of the student. Visibly measuring your improved skill as you progress through the book is a great motivator.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#29 User is offline   chicken 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-12, 02:23

its out of print but there are still a lot of copies availiable @ amazon and ebay . how about "behandle die farben" by roland rohowski.
Kom kit´cha vangar´th, kin patakh´ch vananch, pargh?

If it´s not important to win, tell me, why do they keep records?

(Barcht, Captain of Nir`ch Tyse´th, Klingon Warship)

www.bridgeball.de

#30 User is offline   pdmunro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-12, 07:16

I have read lots of beginners books. The two that stick in my head are Paul Marston "The Principles of Card Play" and Mike Lawrence "How to Read your Opponents' Cards"

Paul Marston's is the simplest book on card play that I have read. One of the few where I read every page. Here is a sample from page 15.

PLAY THE HONOURS FROM THE SHORTER HAND FIRST

In these five examples, which card would you play on the first lead so that you can take all the tricks?

Example 1:3  Cashing certain tricks

1. You        Dummy
        K 8          A Q 6

2. You        Dummy
        A Q J 4      K 8

3. You         Dummy
        Q J 3 2      A K 7

4. You        Dummy
        A K 8        Q J 7 5

5. You         Dummy
        K Q J 7       A 4

Do you agree that the set out is simple enough that the beginner is not intimidated? Plus the repetition helps to reinforce the ideas. Such simplicity and clear setout is a treasure to find.

But a warning. Perhaps it is only me, but I find certain standard techniques intimidate me. E.g., I wiggle and squirm before I take a finesse.

So it is one thing to read it in a book, it is another to take the plunge at the table. It is only after many years playing, now that I can usually work out who has what cards, that I take my finesses fearlessly. See I'm still a chicken, I'm only fearless when I know it's going to work!

The reason that Mike Lawrence's book sticks in my mind is because it encapsualtes the key idea of bridge: one has to imagine scenarios. This key skill comes from playing lots of hands. It especially comes from losing. The hands I stuff up are the ones I go back over. For me, the memory of the embarrassment lasts longest. Certainly longer than anything I have read in a book.

Mike's book gave me the key: imagine where the cards need to be for you to make your contract. That is not always possible. But the beauty of BBO is that you can look later and find the answer. Thank you, thank you, BBO.

There is one other book that everyone recommends: Mollo and Gardiner "Card Play Technique".

It is a book I have never been able to finish. I have perhaps started it 4 times. I typically get 3/4 of the way through. The major benefit of this book for me is that it tells me that I am improving. Each time I read it, I find I get more examples correct, more easily.

But I honestly cannot remember anything from the book, except for two small ideas. 1) Lead up to your high cards. For example, lead from dummy towards the K in your hand. You may find RHO puts up his A, sparing your any procrastination. 2) You might have Kxxx opposite Qxxx. You lead towards the K and it wins. Consider playing a small card from both hands and watch the doubleton A capture nothing but an x. And the rest of the suit is yours! Oh, and there was a third idea. 3) If your partner's opening lead is a middle card, say the 8, consider ducking even though you hold the A. When you do get in, play the A and give him a ruff. He lead a doubleton, not a singleton. And 4). With Axx of trumps, consider leading a trump x at trick one. And win with the A when trumps are played again, then play your third trump to deny declarer ruffs in dummy.

Of these 4 points, point 1) I use every hand; point 2) I use once a year; point 3) twice in 20 years; and point 4) I saw a chinese expert use to great effect 3 years ago. And the question I have is: Did he learn it from Mollo and Gardiner?

I guess this is the general problem with bridge. So many ideas. Some used on every hand, so that they become instinctive. Some rarely used.

Congratulations to Al (aka xx1943). I think you are really getting your instructional material together with Lesson Hands. Click "Lesons on play the cards", then click Lesson 7 "Movie improved by Mihailo". Great format. Well done.
Peter . . . . AKQ . . . . K = 3 points = 1 trick
"Of course wishes everybody to win and play as good as possible, but it is a hobby and a game, not war." 42 (BBO Forums)
"If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?" anon
"Politics: an inadequate substitute for bridge." John Maynard Keynes
"This is how Europe works, it dithers, it delays, it makes cowardly small steps towards the truth and at some point that which it has admonished as impossible it embraces as inevitable." Athens University economist Yanis Varoufakis
"Krypt3ia @ Craig, dude, don't even get me started on you. You have posted so far two articles that I and others have found patently clueless. So please, step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself." Comment on infosecisland.com
"Doing is the real hard part" Emma Coats (formerly from Pixar)
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde
"Assessment, far more than religion, has become the opiate of the people" Patricia Broadfoot, Uni of Gloucestershire, UK

#31 User is offline   ohioply 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-January-14, 23:31

"The play of the hand" by Louis (Lewis?) Watson

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users