Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic falsecards

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-January-13, 03:37

Thought I would start off a thread of examples of automatic false-cards, and see if it gets popular.

Here's one to start you off, that came up today and got me to thinking that it is a nice subject for BILlies

You hold KT doubleton trump sitting under dummy.
Dummy holds AJ9xx (having transferred to opposite 1N)
Declarer leads x through you.
Your move.
Hint: Envisage that declarer has something like Q8x and consider the problems you might pose him.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-January-13, 09:33

Not want to rain on your parade, but I don't think falsecards are beginner stuff :)

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2007-January-13, 10:29

OK, I find that hard to judge. I think you might be insulting the BIllies a bit, at least some of them. I certainly would not have ranked it as "advanced".

At what point in your development should you start thinking about these things? I would have suggested as soon as you can understand the principles.

A lot of intermediate players may not think of the auto-falsecard at the table, and yet with the benefit of hindsight, once it is explained, would understand the rationale. That is a first step toward doing it at the table, and I don't think that the rationale is that hard to grasp, even for a fairly early student of the game. I may be wrong. If everyone else feels that way then I am happy to drop the subject.

If the Billies routinely find the auto-falsecard then this thread is pointless. If they do not find them but understanding dawns from reading this thread then it was a positive contribution. If they read the example and still don't get it then you are right, it is back to a waste of time again.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2007-January-13, 10:51

There are two falsecards that everyone should know from fairly early on.

When South cashes the Ace, East must play the Jack or 10, otherwise declarer can play low to the 9 on the next round losing only to J10 doubleton (which is less likely than singleton J or 10).

When North cashes the Ace, West must play the Queen.

There is another position that everyone should be aware of, though it isn't a false card:

Declarer plays low to the Jack, which holds. He then cashes the Ace. West must play the Q on the ace, or else declarer cannot go wrong. This is usually in the general topic of "playing the card you are known to hold"

#5 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-January-13, 12:08

Declarer leads low to the jack, east must drop the 9 or the ten to present declarer with a losing option. This is the one that always first comes to mind with mandatory falsecards.

#6 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2007-January-13, 13:53

1eyedjack, on Jan 13 2007, 05:29 PM, said:

OK, I find that hard to judge.   I think you might be insulting the BIllies a bit, at least some of them. I certainly would not have ranked it as "advanced".

The problem is, the only way you can get them right is if you've seen them before and learnt what to do. Two of the examples above are new to me, in fact.

The one that I do know very well is this one:

If declarer leads small to the ace, East has to drop the nine. I was East when this came up in a grand slam contract. The falsecard didn't occur to me - but I have the excuse that declarer had won the opening lead on table in order to lead the ace, meaning that I didn't know whether partner had the ten. The falsecard is only compulsory if declarer leads small to the ace or king, so that you've already seen partner's card. But I would never have noticed all this if it hadn't caused so much discussion (in fact it was written up in the EBU magazine).

#7 User is offline   rona_ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-January-13, 13:57

1eyedjack, on Jan 13 2007, 12:37 PM, said:

Thought I would start off a thread of examples of automatic false-cards, and see if it gets popular.

Here's one to start you off, that came up today and got me to thinking that it is a nice subject for BILlies

You hold KT doubleton trump sitting under dummy.
Dummy holds AJ9xx (having transferred to opposite 1N)
Declarer leads x through you.
Your move.
Hint: Envisage that declarer has something like Q8x and consider the problems you might pose him.

Play the king. Declarer will think it's a singleton and you will make the ten.

Not want to rain on your parade, but I don't think falsecards are beginner stuff smile.gif

This forum is for beginners and intermediates. I think it's great stuff so, sorry, I don't agree with you. :)

A lot of intermediate players may not think of the auto-falsecard at the table, and yet with the benefit of hindsight, once it is explained, would understand the rationale. That is a first step toward doing it at the table, and I don't think that the rationale is that hard to grasp, even for a fairly early student of the game. I may be wrong. If everyone else feels that way then I am happy to drop the subject.

You are absolutely right. I never think of falsecarding, so please don't drop the subject. :huh:

Rona

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-January-13, 15:56

1eyedjack, on Jan 13 2007, 04:29 PM, said:

OK, I find that hard to judge. I think you might be insulting the BIllies a bit, at least some of them. I certainly would not have ranked it as "advanced".

And just so you know, Tony Garvey, an Irish international, once had a chance to make one of those "automatic falsecards" against me and he FAILED to spot the opportunity. I myself have sucessefully executed exactly ONE of those, and I know quite a few.

As for me insulting anyone.. well, no comment.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2007-January-13, 17:12

FrancesHinden, on Jan 13 2007, 05:51 PM, said:

KQ972
J103
A65

When South cashes the Ace, East must play the Jack or 10, otherwise declarer can play low to the 9 on the next round losing only to J10 doubleton (which is less likely than singleton J or 10).

I may be missing something, but this position may depend on a lack of entries. Otherwise you can cash the King to "test the water" before making any decision on finesse or drop for the remaining honour. Or even cash the King before the Ace, if entries are a problem.

#10 User is offline   goobers 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-13, 21:48

This is a good thread. I would like to see it continued, as long as the positions aren't too complicated!

#11 User is offline   goobers 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-13, 21:59

Jlall, on Jan 13 2007, 01:08 PM, said:

Declarer leads low to the jack, east must drop the 9 or the ten to present declarer with a losing option. This is the one that always first comes to mind with mandatory falsecards.

I don't get this one :huh:

Can somebody explain?

#12 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-13, 22:44

goobers, on Jan 14 2007, 03:59 AM, said:

<!-- ONESUIT begin --><table border=1> <tr> <td> <table> <tr> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <td> AJ8x </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> </tr> <tr> <th> <table> <tr> <td> Kx </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <td> T9x </td> </tr> </table> </th> </tr> <tr> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <td> Qxxx </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> </tr> </table> </td> <td>  </td> </tr> </table><!-- ONESUIT end -->

I don't get this one :unsure:

Can somebody explain?

If you play a small card then declarer is faced with A8x opposite Qxx with the K, T and 9 still out. The only way he can possibly hope to avoid losing another trick is if the K is now singleton. So he will play the A next. Fortunately (for him) this works. If, on the other hand you play a high card, say the T, on the first round, declarer is faced with A8x opposite Qxx but now there is K9x outstanding. He now has a choice of plays for all the tricks. He can play the A as before (playing West for an original holding of Kx and East for T9x) OR he can now come back to hand and play the Queen (Playing West for an original holding of Kxx and East for an original holding of T9). By making the false card you give him the chance to go wrong. Although if he knows about this falsecard and suspects that you know about it as well, he may still guess the position right - but at least you will have given him a guess to make!

#13 User is offline   goobers 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-13, 22:47

Ohhhhh.

I imagined the falsecard would imply that East held a singleton, in which case declarer will always lose one trick in the suit if that were the actual layout. I didn't consider that the T or 9 might be from T9 tight, giving declarer the choice to try to pin your remaining honor.

Thanks!

#14 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2007-January-13, 23:00

EricK, on Jan 13 2007, 11:44 PM, said:

goobers, on Jan 14 2007, 03:59 AM, said:

<!-- ONESUIT begin --><table border=1> <tr> <td> <table> <tr> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <td> AJ8x </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> </tr> <tr> <th> <table> <tr> <td> Kx </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <td> T9x </td> </tr> </table> </th> </tr> <tr> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <td> Qxxx </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> </tr> </table> </td> <td>  </td> </tr> </table><!-- ONESUIT end -->

I don't get this one :unsure:

Can somebody explain?

If you play a small card then declarer is faced with A8x opposite Qxx with the K, T and 9 still out. The only way he can possibly hope to avoid losing another trick is if the K is now singleton. So he will play the A next. Fortunately (for him) this works. If, on the other hand you play a high card, say the T, on the first round, declarer is faced with A8x opposite Qxx but now there is K9x outstanding. He now has a choice of plays for all the tricks. He can play the A as before (playing West for an original holding of Kx and East for T9x) OR he can now come back to hand and play the Queen (Playing West for an original holding of Kxx and East for an original holding of T9). By making the false card you give him the chance to go wrong. Although if he knows about this falsecard and suspects that you know about it as well, he may still guess the position right - but at least you will have given him a guess to make!

yep.

#15 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-13, 23:32

goobers, on Jan 14 2007, 04:47 AM, said:

Ohhhhh.

I imagined the falsecard would imply that East held a singleton, in which case declarer will always lose one trick in the suit if that were the actual layout. I didn't consider that the T or 9 might be from T9 tight, giving declarer the choice to try to pin your remaining honor.

Thanks!

For some reason, pinning a singleton honour seems to be a lot more fun than dropping a singleton honour. Can anyone explain why that is?

#16 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2007-January-14, 03:12

Here is a position that I see more often than I would instinctively expect. It is not really a "falsecard" (ie a card intended to deceive declarer by presenting a losing option), but it is counterintuitive to beginners who routinely follow "second hand low".

You hold Kxx or Qxx sitting under dummy's AJTxx in NT contract, where dummy is lacking in entries. Declarer leads the suit (x) through you.

#17 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-14, 04:11

1eyedjack, on Jan 14 2007, 01:12 AM, said:

You hold Kxx or Qxx sitting under dummy's AJTxx in NT contract, where dummy is lacking in entries. Declarer leads the suit (x) through you.

Hmm. I think I want to know partner has length before I do anything other than play small. (lest declarer suddenly plays xxxx opposite AJTxx for no losers!) Usually playing an honor is only so that partner can decide how long to hold up the suit.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2007-January-14, 04:53

Echognome, on Jan 14 2007, 11:11 AM, said:

You hold Kxx or Qxx sitting under dummy's AJTxx in NT contract, where dummy is lacking in entries.  Declarer leads the suit (x) through you.

Hmm. I think I want to know partner has length before I do anything other than play small. (lest declarer suddenly plays xxxx opposite AJTxx for no losers!) Usually playing an honor is only so that partner can decide how long to hold up the suit.

You are absolutely right. Without complete information there is no play that is guaranteed to work. However, depending on the facts you might reasonably conclude that the only chance of beating the contract is if this suit does not run for declarer, so you play on the assumption that declarer has xx. If he successfully plays the suit for no losers that is just one more overtrick to him than playing it for 1 loser. The potential gain in limiting declarer to playing the suit for just one trick may make the risk worthwhile.

Another occasion when you might play low is if you have Kxx and it is more important to get partner on lead than it is to prevent the run of this suit. In that case rising with the K risks catching p with Qx doubleton (declarer ducking then dropping).

Of course with Hxx in both defender's hands, the run of the suit can be stopped by partner ducking the first round even if you play low. But that is less desirable as it provides declarer with 2 tricks in the suit where he was otherwise destined for just the one (and the 2nd trick may be all he needs), as well as providing declarer with an extra entry to dummy that may be useful to him for tackling another suit.

Not forgetting also that if you rise in front of dummy, declarer may duck and finesse the second round, hoping to find KQx onside (although you would have played low with that, so it would be a mistake, but mistakes happen).

#19 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2007-January-14, 12:39

Echognome, on Jan 14 2007, 05:11 AM, said:

You hold Kxx or Qxx sitting under dummy's AJTxx in NT contract, where dummy is lacking in entries.  Declarer leads the suit (x) through you.

yeah I've definitely popped K from Kxx and partner had stiff Q before lol...

#20 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-14, 13:55

There's a whole genre of auto falsecards when declarer has a stiff or void in dummy (or an entryless dummy).

West drops the J/10 under the Ace to encorage declarer to pin the JT with the Q. Add a card to South and take one away from West and it also operates.

By the way, I think most falsecards do fit within the B/I category.
"Phil" on BBO

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users