Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What the ????

#1 User is offline   losercover 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-07, 12:06

Playing on the bridgebase play for free site, what is the meaning of 1C P 2C? I thought the default understanding was yellow card. Partners including robots play it as a big hand. Robot did it with 14 HCP. I normally play inverted minor raises, but that is by partnership agreement.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-July-07, 12:18

View Postlosercover, on 2011-July-07, 12:06, said:

Playing on the bridgebase play for free site, what is the meaning of 1C P 2C? I thought the default understanding was yellow card. Partners including robots play it as a big hand. Robot did it with 14 HCP. I normally play inverted minor raises, but that is by partnership agreement.

The robots do play inverted minors. If you are going to play with the robots, you can check out their convention card at this link:
Gib convention card

In addition, when at the table, you can click the robots alert (I think) and see what the robot thinks his bid means. Fair warning, sometimes the robot makes a bid that is not closely related to what the alert (or convention card) explains.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-09, 15:21

View Postinquiry, on 2011-July-07, 12:18, said:

Fair warning, sometimes the robot makes a bid that is not closely related to what the alert (or convention card) explains.

Dont tell him this now please, too early !! Let him hammer/kick/punch/shoot... couple of pc and laptops first ! :D :P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-09, 15:37

View Postinquiry, on 2011-July-07, 12:18, said:

In addition, when at the table, you can click the robots alert (I think) and see what the robot thinks his bid means.

This is not true when playing in an Express tournaments; then you can only preview your own prospective bids to see how your GIB partner would interpret them.

This post has been edited by Bbradley62: 2011-July-09, 15:43

#5 User is offline   losercover 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 10:44

Latest encounter with robot: Playing in a 8 board tournament. Through 7 boards, I have a 70%+ game. Last hand, I have 16 hcp and 6 spades. Robot opens and we go through a new NMF sequence with robot's response as a jump to 3S. I use RKC and we have all the key cards. I bid six and go down one with no chance to make. I get 10% on the board. In 4, making 5 gets an excellent board. Robot had 14 with 8 losers (unadjusted for controls). With my regular partner, we don't jump with more than 6 losers. I guess robot plays principal of fast arrival with 2S as the stronger hand.

I still haven't got a response regarding human players on a simple raise of a minor suit with no partnership understanding.

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-July-11, 10:46

Not everyone is a robot and counts losers. GIB seems to be more human than you if that's how you evaluate every hand.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#7 User is offline   losercover 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 11:13

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-July-11, 10:46, said:

Not everyone is a robot and counts losers. GIB seems to be more human than you if that's how you evaluate every hand.

Thanks for the insult. Hand evaluation is a very complex process and requires looking at a lof of variables. I don't expect the robot to play loser count. The issue is which bid shows the stronger hand; 2S, 3S or 4S?

Loser count only gives a hand's potential, not what should be bid. We will bid a game when the loser count is not right, but the points indicate that the field will be there. We do find games that aren't found by most of the field using our hand evaluation methods.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 11:52

I don't think what you posted is really a robot flaw. You have a 16-count and a six-bagger which you discover is fitted by partner's 3-card support and a good weak NT hand.

Of course, I don't know exactly what your 16'r consisted of. But, you would need a much more sophisticated system of follow-ups to NMF to discover the magic 29-30 Pt. slam if it exists. The answers to NMF in some styles could show the various distributions in addition to the max and 3-fit. Sounds like the bot might have been 3-(4-3-3).

If you can't determine whether partner (creature?) has the perfect cards, it is best not to hope they are there and take an anti-field action when having a good set.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 12:11

View Postlosercover, on 2011-July-11, 10:44, said:

Latest encounter with robot: Playing in a 8 board tournament. Through 7 boards, I have a 70%+ game. Last hand, I have 16 hcp and 6 spades. Robot opens and we go through a new NMF sequence with robot's response as a jump to 3S. I use RKC and we have all the key cards. I bid six and go down one with no chance to make. I get 10% on the board. In 4, making 5 gets an excellent board. Robot had 14 with 8 losers (unadjusted for controls). With my regular partner, we don't jump with more than 6 losers. I guess robot plays principal of fast arrival with 2S as the stronger hand.

I still haven't got a response regarding human players on a simple raise of a minor suit with no partnership understanding.

I don't get this. Since you seem to place such emphasis on losers, why not mention how many your 16hcp hand had?

My understanding is that in a standardish 2/1 context with a strong NT a hand that opens, rebids 1N and jumps to 3M in response to nmf is showing a max weak NT, so about 14 high. Sounds like in this context gib is counting HCP, not losers; then again, I don't think that the programmers claim that it counts losers, do they?

Furthermore, it seems that having all the keycards does not guarantee slam. who knew?!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users