BBO Discussion Forums: Anyone else just get spammed by Vubridge.com? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone else just get spammed by Vubridge.com?

#1 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-09, 21:30

Wonder who sold my info...

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-09, 21:36

I got an email from them too today. 1st one ever :(

And not even a good hand....
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-11, 09:04

I got one too. I don't consider one e-mail to be "spam" but maybe I'm less sensitive about these things than some. I'm assuming they've scraped e-mail addresses off of the ACBL site but I could be wrong.

PS I agree 100% with Phil, what a horrible example hand to try to sell a service.
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#4 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 10:18

Glad I didn't get spammed, but now I'm curious as to how bad aforementioned hand is!
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#5 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 12:15

Here's the link to it from the e-mail that I received: www.vubridge.com/featured104.aspx

It's not even so much that the hand is a poor one (it's not all that bad). My main issue is that the interface isn't even close to mediocre. I think if you're expecting people to pay for a service, you'd better make sure that your website looks professional. The way this looks brings into question all of the other work that they do.
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#6 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 13:18

View PostG_R__E_G, on 2011-July-11, 12:15, said:

Here's the link to it from the e-mail that I received: www.vubridge.com/featured104.aspx

It's not even so much that the hand is a poor one (it's not all that bad).

I would have liked to have seen one where ducking guarantees the contract.

#7 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 14:05

No

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-July-11, 14:29

I hate to sound dense but I find the hand pretty interesting. If the club finesse works then there is no problem so assume that it fails. Ducking pretty much guarantees the hand will be set if E finds the spade switch, right? One diamond, three spades and the club. If the 6 is a true card from a four card suit, E holding Q53 and the king of clubs might well find the switch reasoning that unless diamonds are really running then returning a diamond will give declarer the timing to set up clubs for a probable nine tricks.

Not clear at all, to me, but depending on a diamond continuation could get you set on a cold hand.

Now they don't really go into the question of how you should decide whether to hold up, but I think the hand is both interesting and representative of a situation that comes up pretty often.

I have often found hands in the literature that I think are more interesting than planned. Or am I missing something?
Ken

#9 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 14:35

The owner and creator of this site is an active BBOer, and has posted in BBF before too. He would have seen the emails from the email fields or (hopefully not) trawled it.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-July-11, 15:12

Personally, I meant no disrespect by my post. I have often thought that it would be interesting to have a thread in which we discuss (presumed) overlooked aspects of hands in the literature. I may start such a thread sometime.

An author has to accept that not everyone will praise everything that he writes. I try to always be aware of the many errors that I have made but that should not stop us from making assessments of what others present.
Ken

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-11, 15:40

View PostRain, on 2011-July-11, 14:35, said:

The owner and creator of this site is an active BBOer, and has posted in BBF before too. He would have seen the emails from the email fields or (hopefully not) trawled it.

Is this a nice way to say, "trawling emails on this site violates its rules"?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-11, 15:56

View Postkenberg, on 2011-July-11, 14:29, said:

I hate to sound dense but I find the hand pretty interesting. If the club finesse works then there is no problem so assume that it fails. Ducking pretty much guarantees the hand will be set if E finds the spade switch, right? One diamond, three spades and the club. If the 6 is a true card from a four card suit, E holding Q53 and the king of clubs might well find the switch reasoning that unless diamonds are really running then returning a diamond will give declarer the timing to set up clubs for a probable nine tricks.

Even with the actual hand, East should find the spade switch, I think, assuming the auction was 1NT-3NT.

View Postkenberg, on 2011-July-11, 15:12, said:

Personally, I meant no disrespect by my post. I have often thought that it would be interesting to have a thread in which we discuss (presumed) overlooked aspects of hands in the literature. I may start such a thread sometime.

Here's a good one, in a way. It's a reprinting of a letter to the editor in The Bridge World by Phillip Martin regarding one of Andrew Robson's published deals.

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-July-11, 16:18

Even with the actual hand, East should find the spade switch, I think, assuming the auction was 1NT-3NT.

Agreed. Partner has maybe five points and declarer is not holding up with Kxx so declarer has the ace. Getting to the established diamonds will be impossible. There is just barely room for partner to have the Jack of spades but go for it!

As near as I can see, one should take the first trick. With two cards out lower than the six, the suit may well be 5-2. But holding up should lead to a set regardless of how the diamonds split.

Or so I say looking at the hands. At the table it might be different.

Anyway, I think it's a fine hand.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users