Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

after a takeout x what to play

#1 User is offline   hhoglives 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-23, 00:26

after partner opens 1s, rh0 makes a standard takeout x.

could someone go over what commonly played bids mean
for instance redouble
bid of a new suit (2c or 2d)
what is forcing and what is not
anything else that might be useful to play

thanx

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-23, 00:46

View Posthhoglives, on 2011-June-23, 00:26, said:

after partner opens 1s, rh0 makes a standard takeout x.

could someone go over what commonly played bids mean
for instance redouble
bid of a new suit (2c or 2d)
what is forcing and what is not
anything else that might be useful to play

thanx

Redouble indicates no fit and wants to punish opponents. At least good in 2 of the unbid 3 suits. Also redbl is a gate to start forcing minor hands, since diret 2/1 after DBL would be non forcing.

-1 Level bids are 4+ cards and forcing 1 round 5+ hcp
-2 level non jump bids are non forcing, usually 6+ cards.
-Raising pd to 3 level is preemptive.
-2 NT shows a raise to pd's suit and limit raise or better
-Jump in a new suit is preemptive (also commonly used as 5+ cards in the suit bid + 4 cards support to pd's suit, by passed hands and/or in competition)

These are standart treatments, but you will see pairs who modified them. Among adv+ exp players transfer responses are common lately after DBL.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   hhoglives 

• Pip

Posted 2011-June-23, 01:49

View PostMrAce, on 2011-June-23, 00:46, said:

Redouble indicates no fit and wants to punish opponents. At least good in 2 of the unbid 3 suits. Also redbl is a gate to start forcing minor hands, since diret 2/1 after DBL would be non forcing.

-1 Level bids are 4+ cards and forcing 1 round 5+ hcp
-2 level non jump bids are non forcing, usually 6+ cards.
-Raising pd to 3 level is preemptive.
-2 NT shows a raise to pd's suit and limit raise or better
-Jump in a new suit is preemptive (also commonly used as 5+ cards in the suit bid + 4 cards support to pd's suit, by passed hands and/or in competition)

These are standart treatments, but you will see pairs who modified them. Among adv+ exp players transfer responses are common lately after DBL.

#4 User is offline   hhoglives 

• Pip

Posted 2011-June-23, 01:52

thanx for the reply. the situation was this. responder had a 6 cd minor suit and 3 cd spade support (although bad) and maybe 10 pts. otoh is a diamond fit is there 4 spades is very possible. but of course the 2 level response was passed. we were unsure whether a direct 2s bid or (2nt as jordan) etc was best. it was mp scoring. maybe better to just support spades huh
anyhow i appreciate the reply

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 05:18

There are a few "standard" treatments around depending upon which part of the world you come from and which generation you belong to. The most common approach I have seen by far is ITD - ignore the double. This is as MrAce describes except that 2m is natural and forcing. Also, you should always consider how the auction might develop if you pass initially and back in with a suit bid or take-out double. Sometimes this enable you to get the nature of your hand across than following the ITD path. This is really an area where it is a good idea to agree with a regular partner as there are many possibilities and it comes up alot.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-23, 07:16

cute treatment:

pass=weakish
1NT=natural
2=good raise (but includes some 9 counts)
2/=non forcing
2=single raise(but without some 9 counts)
2NT=limit+ raise with 4 cards
xx=hands that don't fit above (but denies 3 spades)

Just mentioning it because it's out of fashion and it's not bad at all.

Standard is
pass=weakish
1NT=natural
2//=non forcing
2=single raise
2NT=limit with 4
xx=hands that don't fit above (could have 3 spades)

but many people play transfers:
xx=balanced
1NT=clubs
2/=diamonds/hearts, any strength
2=good raise
2=bad raise

Depending on who you ask, 2 here could be 8-10 strictly or 8+ points (i.e. any constructive+) or perhaps 10+. If 2 is 8-10 strictly, then XX will include some 3 card limit raises.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-23, 07:41

I prefer gwnn's last scheme, it's simple and works well imo. It's advisable to have 2 types of raises below the 2-level to distinguish between a good and a bad raise. You sacrifice the business RDbl but that comes up quite rarely. It's a small sacrifice for many advantages.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-June-23, 07:49

View PostFree, on 2011-June-23, 07:41, said:

I prefer gwnn's last scheme, it's simple and works well imo. It's advisable to have 2 types of raises below the 2-level to distinguish between a good and a bad raise. You sacrifice the business RDbl but that comes up quite rarely. It's a small sacrifice for many advantages.

The business RDBL is a inferior treatment. Why warn opponents that they will be doubled?
You hold a good misfitting hand, partner opened, and RHO doubled. LHO has nothing. Often
RHO will raise, but not if you warn him that LHO has nothing.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-June-26, 19:58

View Postjogs, on 2011-June-23, 07:49, said:

The business RDBL is a inferior treatment. Why warn opponents that they will be doubled?
You hold a good misfitting hand, partner opened, and RHO doubled. LHO has nothing. Often
RHO will raise, but not if you warn him that LHO has nothing.

If you have enough to penalize them, RHO is not likely to be strong enough to raise.

It's more important to let partner know that your later double is for penalty, not takeout.

#10 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-June-26, 21:06

View Postbarmar, on 2011-June-26, 19:58, said:

If you have enough to penalize them, RHO is not likely to be strong enough to raise.

It's more important to let partner know that your later double is for penalty, not takeout.

You don't get rich doubling opponents on the one level, especially if you hold fewer trumps than they.

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-27, 06:05

View Postbarmar, on 2011-June-26, 19:58, said:

I don't want to sound like some other poster, but you can agree to play an entire level of transfers and that pass followed by Dbl is penalty. Your first pass puts enormous pressure on your LHO. As an extra bonus RHO may want to raise because he doesn't know you can be so strong. Basically opps have more ways to scramble to a decent spot (if there is one). After an immediate RDbl on the other hand, your LHO can pass to deny any preference, and RHO won't ever raise without a very good reason.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users