BBO Discussion Forums: Do you feel you have been damaged? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you feel you have been damaged?

#1 User is offline   jschafer 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Origami, squash, table tennis, travelling

Posted 2011-June-24, 10:17

The director was called before dummy came down to draw attention to West's hesitation before East's balancing double (a passed hand). 5 made 11 tricks, do you call the director again feeling you have been damaged or not? IMP scoring.

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-24, 10:22

I definitely call the director and will feel a little disappointed if he doesn't rule in our favour. It depends a bit on the opps though I guess.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 10:35

auto ruleback to 3. double is definitely a minority action, and certainly not the 80+%ish action which effectively the rules require.

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 11:01

View Postwank, on 2011-June-24, 10:35, said:

auto ruleback to 3. double is definitely a minority action, and certainly not the 80+%ish action which effectively the rules require.

I respectfully disagree. The hesitation followed by double is not the issue in any way. The action taken by West is and if West did something funny like 4 expecting pard to be light because of the hesitation and landed on his feet I would fry him as the Director.

5 is reasonable (so is 3nt) after the double. Bidding game is absolutely on with those cards and the chosen action probably comes with the most risk. It takes no advantage due to the slowness of the double.

No foul unless West hesitated before passing 3 and East used that UI to make the balancing double.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-24, 11:21

View Postggwhiz, on 2011-June-24, 11:01, said:

I respectfully disagree.

...because apparently you didn't read the OP.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 11:25

View Postggwhiz, on 2011-June-24, 11:01, said:

No foul unless West hesitated before passing 3 and East used that UI to make the balancing double.

So....there's a foul. Yes, there's been damage.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#7 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-June-24, 12:52

Was this hesitation agreed to by EW? I don't know what the rules are where you were playing, but here in ACBL-land, West is supposed to pause for 8-10 seconds after a skip bid has been made. Of course, there are pauses and there are pauses...but a "hesitation" is not necessarily cut and dried.

That being said, if the director determined that there had indeed been a hesitation, I agree that it should be rolled back to 3S. Double is nowhere near automatic with the East hand. If EW appealed such a ruling, they should be given an AWM.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#8 User is offline   jschafer 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 12:58

East denied the hesitation, West admitted to it so I don't know whether that qualifies as a hesitation or not.

#9 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-June-24, 16:15

Assuming the hesitation actually occurred and is agreed to, I definitely think I've been damaged, and would be amazed if I was ruled against here.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#10 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-June-24, 16:22

I know not everyone does this, but I would ask about the "stop" procedure:
was it followed, was the hesitation longer than the regulation "10 seconds"?

If East or West admits there was a hesitation (by West) unmistakably longer that the "stop" procedure, then ruling to 3 looks routine.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 17:11

I would argue that with a likely dead K (which, guess what, isn't), that double is not a clear call. Oddly enough, if the K were dead, 5 probably doesn't make.

Put the K in any other suit, and I think E-W, even with an acknowledged hesitation, have a case. Whether it flies or not, I don't know.

I keep my direct overcalls of preempts sound, however, much sounder than what looks like current expert opinion; this looks only like a biddable minimum because it's all controls - if I could bid it at the 3 level I probably would, but think that I might be disappointing partner.

Irrelevant to all of that, I would call the TD as South, and as East, for that matter (if I as east noticed the hesitation). This is definitely the kind of hand where "I think any other call is (not, if I'm South) unreasonable, but I know I'm biased."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 20:39

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-June-24, 11:21, said:

...because apparently you didn't read the OP.

I read part of it.... the wrong part. Oops!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-June-24, 21:58

Schafer, i been chief TD of Turkey for 3 years, trained by Ton Kojman (i hope i spelled his name correct) who was hired by TBF. Imo If hesitation is confirmed, you are % 100 damaged. Pass is East's logical alternative. Simple as is.

The level of opponents (East player),may affect the decision of TD about the additional ethique penalty, it wont affect his ruling the board result.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 22:03

Kooijman.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-25, 02:15

View Postjschafer, on 2011-June-24, 12:58, said:

East denied the hesitation, West admitted to it so I don't know whether that qualifies as a hesitation or not.

West was clear that he had broken tempo (I was the director), so I would have ruled on the basis that there was UI, had I been called back to the table. Then I would have polled a few people to see what they would have done with the East hand in an auction with no tempo-break, and I would expect that to show Pass as a logical alternative at this vulnerability & form of scoring. But I wasn't called back.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-25, 02:26

View PostMrAce, on 2011-June-24, 21:58, said:

i been chief TD of Turkey for 3 years, trained by Ton Kojman (i hope i spelled his name correct) who was hired by TBF.

There are a number of well-qualified directors here, but I think we expect more of them than that they just claim status.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#17 User is offline   jschafer 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-25, 04:59

View Postgordontd, on 2011-June-25, 02:15, said:

West was clear that he had broken tempo (I was the director), so I would have ruled on the basis that there was UI, had I been called back to the table. Then I would have polled a few people to see what they would have done with the East hand in an auction with no tempo-break, and I would expect that to show Pass as a logical alternative at this vulnerability & form of scoring. But I wasn't called back.

I should have called you back again (3rd time for this hand!) but I was too distracted by all the food they were just bringing down :P I posted this as more of a sanity check because RHO seemed confident that 3 was clear.

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-25, 06:15

I assume you mean double of 3S? This being the same player who denied the hesitation...

Sounds like an extremely ethical player from this report, not that one can draw conclusions from a single incident only told from one side. Most likely Gordon knows whether this is an isolated case or not but is not allowed to tell us.
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   jschafer 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-25, 07:57

I don't think RHO was unethical and definitely didn't post this to suggest otherwise. It is not always obvious what qualifies as a hesitation after a jump bid and whether or not you should balance on certain hands. I like to think that the number of players who genuinely feel their bids were normal (even if minority views), outnumbers those that act on UI and then deny it hoping to get away with it.

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-June-25, 14:44

View Postgordontd, on 2011-June-25, 02:26, said:

There are a number of well-qualified directors here, but I think we expect more of them than that they just claim status.

Actually i shd have written "I was..." Since i live in USA the last 10 years. I just wanted OP to know that my opinion was not just as a player but also as someone who had some serious training on the subject. It wasnt my intention to claim status or i would be writing in the sections that are designated for rulings and bridge laws, but i see your point, sorry it looked that way.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users