• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Impure takeout doubles

#1 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-04, 03:15

Yesterday, favourable at IMPs, I made a takeout double of 1 with K10xx KQx Ax Q8xx. I'm quite well trained now, so I probably did it without any obvious signs of distress. The auction went:
1 dbl 4 4NT
pass 5 pass pass
pass
Dummy had xx x 1098xx AJxxx. A and K were offside, so that was three down. It's just as well we weren't doubled, but it was still six out.

In the next set, I had 9xxx - AKJxx 9xxx. It went
1 dbl 4
to me, so I bid 4. Everybody passed, and partner put down Axx xx xxx AQJ8x. Everything broke, but both finesses were wrong, and even if they hadn't been I'd still have lost control. In due course I lost six tricks (I might have avoided one of them), but this time we were vulnerable. Teammates had managed a small plus, so that was five out instead of four in. Again, it's a good thing we weren't doubled.

Maybe all this tells us is that in competitive auctions it's a good idea to jump to game. Still, I thought it was interesting.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-04, 03:26

Hmm, I wouldn't double on the first hand. But I agree that it's always a good idea to jump to 4M.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-04, 03:27

Out of interest, did your team mates open 1H and raise to 4H, giving the opponents the same set of decisions on which there was a parting of the ways?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-04, 05:11

This was in England, so neither takeout double was made at the other table. On the first one, teammates has an uncontested auction to 4. On the second, it went
1 2 4 5
pass pass pass
one down on a spade lead.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-April-04, 05:25

I would not have doubled on either. I guess I am not well-trained, KQx in their suit doesn't make me want to make a takeout double.

The second hand looks like a club suit to me.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-04, 05:58

On the first, that's the reason 1N overcall bottom is good 15 with double stop.
You are expected to pass with less when "stuff in their suit".
On second, does 2C deny S:Txx? What of 2C, then later X?
Partner can then judge how good a Major he needs to come in.
Does T/O Dbl promise 4x other Major - that's useful for partner.

#7 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-April-04, 08:13

han, on 2011-April-04, 05:25, said:

...I guess I am not well-trained, KQx in their suit doesn't make me want to make a takeout double...

I feel fairly confident, that the welltrained-ness gnasher referred to, was the pokerface he kept when he doubled.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-April-04, 14:41

1eyedjack, on 2011-April-04, 03:27, said:

Out of interest, did your team mates open 1H and raise to 4H, giving the opponents the same set of decisions on which there was a parting of the ways?

The first one started with a strong 1NT opening by your teammates (your opponents were playing weak NT and 4-card majors).

To quote a private email to gnasher, I think double on the first one is horrible.

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-April-04, 15:27

Why did partner bid 4N on the first hand?

#10 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2011-April-04, 16:19

JLOGIC, on 2011-April-04, 15:27, said:

Why did partner bid 4N on the first hand?

Because he is at favorable and has 5-5 in the minors opposite partner's takeout double? Opposite a normal takeout double (and opponents presumed ten-card heart fit) you're bound to have a good sacrifice the vast majority of the time. Even LOTT suggests that bidding is often good here? If not for the fact that doubler has two heart honors (rather than some values elsewhere) and short diamonds (rather than a double fit) I would think this would work out well.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#11 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-April-04, 22:58

Well if LOTT suggests it, I'm sold!

I don't understand why we have to sacrifice with an ace (can't we set them?) or why we expect to have a big double fit. Surely 42(43) is a normal hand type for a takeout double. Do you always bid to the 5 level with 5-5 in the minors opposite a 1 level takeout double?

#12 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-April-05, 04:13

JLOGIC, on 2011-April-04, 22:58, said:

Well if LOTT suggests it, I'm sold!

I don't understand why we have to sacrifice with an ace (can't we set them?) or why we expect to have a big double fit. Surely 42(43) is a normal hand type for a takeout double. Do you always bid to the 5 level with 5-5 in the minors opposite a 1 level takeout double?

Get a grip.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#13 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2011-April-05, 05:25

first X is horrible by all standard. 4Nt at favorable is near automatic.

2nd board is normal result.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#14 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2011-April-05, 10:07

benlessard, on 2011-April-05, 05:25, said:

first X is horrible by all standard. 4Nt at favorable is near automatic.

Agree with this.

Given that we have a nine-card fit opposite a normal takeout double, roughly half the values, some shape, a singleton where partner normally has little wasted opposite... I think it would be a surprise not to make nine tricks in our better minor fit opposite a normal double.

Even if we assume that we never make more than nine tricks, that opponents always find a double of 5m, and that opponents never compete to 5 (all of which seem like big assumptions that could easily be incorrect -- note that opponents didn't double on the actual hand either) every time 4 was making we will win 8 imps (-300 instead of -620) and every time 4 was down we will lose 9 (-300 instead of +100). So we still need 4 to fail roughly half the time to come out ahead, despite all the assumptions that were extremely favorable for passing 4 (opponents never make a wrong competitive decision, 5m is never down one or making, etc). Certainly we have an ace and 4 could fail. But they did bid it at unfavorable, so responder will usually have some shape (i.e. it won't be on garbage, opponents think they have a shot at making). Note that partner also probably won't double again on hands where he has a singleton heart and a five-card minor (unless he has a lot of extras) so even on these hands if we pass we defend 4. I just think at these colors bidding is quite clear-cut.
Adam W. Meyerson

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 11:59

JLOGIC, on 2011-April-04, 22:58, said:

We sacrifice because it has 2 ways to win (3 if you count going undoubled), versus the only one passing. Even if larger.

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-05, 12:08

The most worrying thing about this thread is that I seem to be on the same side of the argument as Justin, with everyone else on the other side. Maybe I'm an imposter.

(Actually I'm not entirely in agreement with my takeout double, but I do think that if you've agreed to make takeout doubles of 1 on some 4324 shapes, this one qualifies.)

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-April-05, 12:12

I like both doubles, for what tiny bit it's worth. I'm afraid I'd have bid with both advancing hands, which worries me, since it means most probably I'm inconsistent.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2011-April-05, 13:30

gnasher, on 2011-April-05, 12:08, said:

The most worrying thing about this thread is that I seem to be on the same side of the argument as Justin, with everyone else on the other side. Maybe I'm an imposter.

(Actually I'm not entirely in agreement with my takeout double, but I do think that if you've agreed to make takeout doubles of 1 on some 4324 shapes, this one qualifies.)

See I don't think this one qualifies. Better would be a hand where you don't have so many slow values in hearts, which are usually better placed for defense than for playing the hand. For example say you had KQTx xxx Ax KQxx for the same shape and the same total points. Now 5 looks to be down one. Assuming the 4 bidder has short clubs (really very likely for the unfavorable leap to 4), 4 will either make or be down one depending on the defense, shapes, and location of certain cards. Probably down one is more likely, but you are risking 5 IMPs (both contracts fail and you get doubled) against 11 (4 makes) so even if 4 fails two times out of three competing was the right call...
Adam W. Meyerson

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-April-05, 14:17

I am fairly new to the forums still, but i know Andy is a very decent player, i won't call his first DBL "Horrible" to be honest. But personally I would not DBL, would pass or bid 1 NT if i wanna bid badly.

4 NT by Andy's pd would be auto for me, unless knowing pd frequently doubles with impure hands.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 15:59

I would double on both and I think I would bid on both, I am finding it hard to be objective on the 2155 given the thread.

A Paca double would work well on the second.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users