• You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive problem

#1 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-05, 12:02

IMPs

EW play Acol, so 2 was not game-forcing, but promised enough to raise a strong notrump to game - say 10+ if balanced, or 9+ with a five-card suit.

NS play standard count, upside down attitude, and standard Smith. In a Smith situation, if your attitude to the suit led is known, you play suit preference.

You lead a 4th-best spade to the king, 3 and 7. Declarer plays J to the 3 and 4.

What now?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-April-05, 15:06

At this point you don't know if partner's 3 of clubs is a singleton, Q3, or Q?3. Perhaps you should duck the club and see what happens next.
Alternatively, perhaps partner has K3 and ducked in case you have singleton ace. That would make ducking this club less attractive.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 15:07

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-05, 12:02, said:

IMPs

EW play Acol, so 2 was not game-forcing, but promised enough to raise a strong notrump to game - say 10+ if balanced, or 9+ with a five-card suit.

NS play standard count, upside down attitude, and standard Smith. In a Smith situation, if your attitude to the suit led is known, you play suit preference.

You lead a 4th-best spade to the king, 3 and 7. Declarer plays J to the 3 and 4.

What now?

I suspect pd has stiff , he can't have Qxx or Jxx or we wld see an honor from declarer on K, pd shd not have Qx or Jx either he would want to unblock it first round (or declarer would probably play small from dummy with AJx)..He cant have xx for the same reasons (declarer would show an honor on K) He definetely not have QJx either...

That makes declarer something like 4135 4225 4036 4126 (with 4-4 blacks he wld bid 1) Anyway he seems to make 4+4+1 if we fail to cash . I maybe missing something tho, curious to read more on this topic. I have no answer why declarer would bid 3 NT with no stopper, but i won't let him make it if he did so.

EDIT: Ducking may also cost if declarer has Kx and decides to take 5+4+1
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-06, 06:11

In only AQJ are missing and declarer seems to have them.
So declarer has at least 5 tricks in the majors and your partner probably holds the K, unless declarer has it singleton.
Partner did not overcall in so I doubt that declarer has no stopper.
You will need partner to hold the K or less likely QTx.
The 3 may or may not have been a suggestion for .
Play the K (It is probably too late to switch to ) and hope partner has Q98xx or Q9xxxx with the K

Declarer could be
AQJx,K,Axxx,QTxx

Rainer Herrmann

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-April-06, 06:53

AK

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#6 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Real name: Ulf Nilsson
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2011-April-06, 07:04

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-05, 12:02, said:

What now?

J of hearts.

Edit: Win the ace of clubs was omitted ;)
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-06, 07:18

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-April-05, 15:06, said:

At this point you don't know if partner's 3 of clubs is a singleton, Q3, or Q?3. Perhaps you should duck the club and see what happens next.
Alternatively, perhaps partner has K3 and ducked in case you have singleton ace. That would make ducking this club less attractive.

With Kx wouldn't partner have played the king? Apart from the possibility that I have 10x or 10xx, he might also need to preserve my entry. From his point of view, my spades might be rather better than they are.

One reason not to duck the club is that dummy isn't particularly rich in entries.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-April-06, 15:01

View Postrhm, on 2011-April-06, 06:11, said:

In only AQJ are missing and declarer seems to have them.
So declarer has at least 5 tricks in the majors and your partner probably holds the K, unless declarer has it singleton.
Partner did not overcall in so I doubt that declarer has no stopper.
You will need partner to hold the K or less likely QTx.
The 3 may or may not have been a suggestion for .
Play the K (It is probably too late to switch to ) and hope partner has Q98xx or Q9xxxx with the K

Declarer could be
AQJx,K,Axxx,QTxx

Rainer Herrmann

I dunno, Andy may tell us better i think, if with this hand in Acol he would start 1 or 2, if he can then yes declarer can have this hand. Does pd overcall with AQ9xxx and nothing else ? Some do some not i guess. But then aren't we too late for anyway ?

EDIT:Nevermind, i replied w/o reading your entire post, just saw u also play K.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-06, 15:10

With 4-4 in the blacks responder would respond 1. The initial responses in Acol are similar to those in SAYC.

If partner had AQ9xxx and nothing else, at favourable and facing a passed partner, he would overcall 3.

[edited to correct typo]

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2011-April-06, 15:52

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-April-06, 15:36

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-06, 15:10, said:

With 4-4 in the majors responder would respond 1. The initial responses in Acol are similar to those in SAYC.

If partner had AQ9xxx and nothing else, at favourable and facing a passed partner, he would overcall 3.

EDIT: Then in orderfor us to defeat, we need declarer to hold AQJx x/(K) A8x QTxxx ? Still playing K, too late for , declarer can raise the ace and play

Wins when pd has AQ98x or Q98xx Q9xxxx with K

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users