• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Odd/even What are they?

#21 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-September-06, 11:36

luke warm, on Sep 6 2004, 05:18 PM, said:

i agree with free about getting stuck... the only real drawback is that declarer can read the position... but if you play pure udca the same can be said, often

Given that encrypted signals and discards are illegal in almost every competition, every system has the drawback that declarer can read the position when clear signals are used and is 50:50 to read it when signals are unclear.

Presumably there is a purpose to making a signal, so we should try for clear ones :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#22 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2004-September-06, 22:43

Jimmy,

Reverse s/p Lav, when we tell the declarers locally, they scratch their heads. They get really lost. Then again, we're the only pair that uses UDCA at our club. They wonder why after a low-high their nice queen gets ruffed.

Standard Lav was just brutal, but after we migrated to our s/p system at trick one (Obvious Shift, but UDCA flavoured), it just seemed to keep it all uniform. It's helped us quite a bit.

-------

Lav is this:

1st discard: don't want this suit, and spot card (hi - higher suit of two, low - lower suit of two) indicates shift.

Reverse just flips the high and low meanings that's all. Not recommended for the faint of heart or the casual p'ship.

-------

Odd/even is even mentioned on one of the Bergen's "Point Schmoints" books. That in itself says a lot.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#23 User is offline   Rebound 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-September-08, 01:29

I confess I didn't know what o/e discards were until now. They seem pretty straightforward. However, I have always enjoyed great success with udca and lavinthal together and I'm sticking to 'em :P
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - but it might improve my bridge.

#24 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-September-08, 03:56

keylime, on Sep 7 2004, 06:43 AM, said:

Jimmy,

Reverse s/p Lav, when we tell the declarers locally, they scratch their heads. They get really lost. Then again, we're the only pair that uses UDCA at our club. They wonder why after a low-high their nice queen gets ruffed.

Standard Lav was just brutal, but after we migrated to our s/p system at trick one (Obvious Shift, but UDCA flavoured), it just seemed to keep it all uniform. It's helped us quite a bit.

-------

Lav is this:

1st discard: don't want this suit, and spot card (hi - higher suit of two, low - lower suit of two) indicates shift.

Reverse just flips the high and low meanings that's all. Not recommended for the faint of heart or the casual p'ship.

-------

Odd/even is even mentioned on one of the Bergen's "Point Schmoints" books. That in itself says a lot.

everyone seems to play obvious shift, so i guess i should really make an effort to learn it

sigh
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#25 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-11, 05:41

A big advantage of playing O/E on-line is that it is very clear. This is probably because I don't understand standard discards. Sometimes a 2 is played to ask a suit.
Is everybody on-line playing standard discards the same? Or do some play them that any (even low) discard in a suit asks the suit?

O/E discards are also very easy to start with. There is nothing complicated with it. (see post of Free). After playing it some time you can make it a bit more complicated like f.i.: First discarding 5 and later 3 does not ask (You would ask with the lowest odd card you have). This shows you have nothing to signal or you have a signalling problem.

As an aside, many people play that the lower the card played, the stronger the attitude signal (regardless of encouragement/discouragement) : e.g. a 2 or a 3 is strongly discouraging/encouraging, whereas a 8/7 may be a mild signal.

This is not correct. O/E always include lavinthal for the even cards: The 2 will ask the lowest remaining suit, the 8 the highest remaining suit.

#26 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-September-11, 05:54

kgr, on Sep 11 2004, 11:41 AM, said:

This is not correct.  O/E always include lavinthal for the even cards: The 2 will ask the lowest remaining suit, the 8 the highest remaining suit.

You are free to play OE as you like.

Since the discussion is about roman carding and not only discards when not following suit, the way most people play it in Italy is that an even card has only a *mild* suit preference meaning, in order to cater for some situations where you do not want or you cannot signal (e.g. you only have even cards or you do not want to mislead pard by making him think we want a switch).

If you want I can refer book references on Roman carding, but they are in italian.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#27 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-11, 06:02

Since the discussion is about roman carding and not only discards when not following suit,

Sorry Chamaco. I thought you were talking about discarding.
But I think you are Italian, so what made me think I could say you were no correct about O/E? :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users